I was wondering if anybody in this forum could help me decide what my Strat is worth. I just bought it and some of my friends who are more experienced in buying guitars are telling me I may have paid to much.
well, it helps if you post some information about it, model, condition, pictures and how much you paid, etc.
It won't let me upload a picture. It is saying that the file is to large. I tried to condense it but it wouldn't work. The guitar is of course a fender strat. It says made in korea on the back of the headstock. the front has the fender logo but that it. one of my friends strats actually says stratocaster on the front of the headstock. my new one doesn't. the body is mahogony. It has a natural clear coat finish. It has seymour duncan pickups. The fretboard is birds eye maple and it weighs about as much as my Gibson Les Paul. the main reason I bought it is because I prefer heavier guitars and the sound that I get out of this guitar is amazing. I have been getting into texas country so I bought the guitar for the twangy tone it produces.
Quote by LeBlancj
and I paid six hundred for it.

ouch.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
http://www.stevesmusic.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_20&products_id=4932

that's the most expensive squier i could find.

the seymour duncans would up the value by maybe 100$...up to about the 250$ range, since it's used
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
The guitar isn't a Squier. Thats why I am confused. The dealer said that it wasn't a squier. And nowhere on the guitar is it labeled a squier.
what's the serial number
Quote by stepchildusmc
there's no letter before the numbers?
Quote by stepchildusmc
Quote by LeBlancj
It won't let me upload a picture. It is saying that the file is to large. I tried to condense it but it wouldn't work. The guitar is of course a fender strat. It says made in korea on the back of the headstock. the front has the fender logo but that it. one of my friends strats actually says stratocaster on the front of the headstock. my new one doesn't. the body is mahogony. It has a natural clear coat finish. It has seymour duncan pickups. The fretboard is birds eye maple and it weighs about as much as my Gibson Les Paul. the main reason I bought it is because I prefer heavier guitars and the sound that I get out of this guitar is amazing. I have been getting into texas country so I bought the guitar for the twangy tone it produces.

In my personal opinion, if you like the way it sounds, it doesn't matter how much you paid for it. Every guitar is different, and not every guitar speaks to every guitarist- there's a difference between "value" and "worth", so do you value the tone of this guitar over the worth of it?
Quote by Calymos
In my personal opinion, if you like the way it sounds, it doesn't matter how much you paid for it. Every guitar is different, and not every guitar speaks to every guitarist- there's a difference between "value" and "worth", so do you value the tone of this guitar over the worth of it?

i'm sure that's a huge consolation to someone who just bought a 300$ guitar for 600$
Quote by stepchildusmc
There are no letters before the number. I like the way you put that Calymos. And yes I do. I'm going to keep it. I enjoy playing it to much and I love it's tone. I'm just looking for some advice on buying and trying to get an idea on the quality of the material used to make the guitar. Also I would like to know if the guy that sold me this guitar is worth a shit or not. It's not cool to feed someone a bunch crap just to make sales you know.
And if I can I will take it back and try to get the price reduced. I should also point out that the guitar was 645 with the case. So the actual guitar was 550.
Quote by LeBlancj
And if I can I will take it back and try to get the price reduced. I should also point out that the guitar was 645 with the case. So the actual guitar was 550.

Does this look like it?

Is this an accurate description:

LITE ASH STRATOCASTER (KOREA MFG. NO. 026-5002)

- offset double cutaway lightweight ash body, bolt-on bird's-eye maple C-Shaped neck, 22-fret bird's-eye maple neck with dot abalone inlays, single-ply black pickguard, vibrato bridge, three Seymour Duncan single coil pickups with black covers, three knobs (v, two tone), five-way switch, chrome hardware, available in Black, Natural, or Vintage White finish, mfg. 2004-08.

If it is, it is worth between $425 and $550 depending on condition. If it is brand new equivalent then it is worth over $600. The last MSRP in 2008 was $900.
If I miss one day of practice, I notice it.
If I miss two days, the critics notice it.
If I miss three days, the audience notices it.

Ingacy Jan Paderewski (1860 - 1941)
Last edited by Quintex at Apr 12, 2012,
Quote by Calymos

umm maybe if the guitar was cheap, then that would make sense? ... but that makes no sense man, at all, thats like buying a car you like, eventhough it is $5k over blue book, just because you like it.

For example...I love all my guitars, but I wouldn't have paid double the price for them.

And I'm not %100 sure about the guitar you bought, as far as what model and it's value, but...and a big but, American Fenders are the top of the line, and you could easily get a used American Strat for that price... for sure. Strats are, IMO, the most popular guitar and especially among people who don't really play, because it is kind of the iconic picture of an electric guitar...My point is there are usually lots and lots and lots of used Strats on the market assuming you are in a somewhat large area (also assuming you are in the US). I am always looking for new Strats to buy and just out of curiosity, and because I am a strat junkie, and I can find used Strats MIA on Craigslist all day everyday for that price.

Realistically, take it back, contact whoever you bought it from. Whoever sold you that blatantly ripped you off, and maybe even sold you fake, it's hard to say without pics for sure though. Japan strats, which are considered of very high quality, only go for around $400 usually. And A case shouldn't increase the purchase price unless the guitar didn't originally come with the case, and you are buying it new at a store.

edit; slow typer here lol...still a little pricey for me..I would go for a used MIA strat.
Last edited by treysonpwaters at Apr 12, 2012,
Quote by mike_oxbig
http://www.stevesmusic.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_20&products_id=4932

that's the most expensive squier i could find.

the seymour duncans would up the value by maybe 100$...up to about the 250$ range, since it's used

What makes you think that he bought a Squire?

There were only limited models of Fender Stratocasters manufactured in Korea, is was pretty easy to track down.

Quote by LeBlancj
thats looks exactly like it.

I would start your verification using that manufacturer number.

Quintex, How did you find it?
I've been searching the internet practically all day and that is the first time I have seen the guitar or the description.
It is listed in a paid subscription service that insurance and auction companies use to value goods.

If it is in mint condition, you paid what would be considered market value, possibly on the high side. But considering it only had a four year production run (discontinued in 2008) it will run high on the used market if the seller actually knew what it was.

Just search Blue Book Guitars to track down the service.

It looks brand new. No scratches or dings. You can tell that it has been played. There are pick marks on the guard but not much. Of course they probably replaced the guard. The frets could use a little filing but other than that she's cherry.
Quote by LeBlancj
It looks brand new. No scratches or dings. You can tell that it has been played. There are pick marks on the guard but not much. Of course they probably replaced the guard. The frets could use a little filing but other than that she's cherry.

Chances are that is still the original pick guard if you bought it through a store, they wouldn't bother fixing it up.

You didn't get a great deal, but you did not get ripped off. It is really hard to say because to be honest, I have never seen or played one, I am just going by book value and of course everyone here will claim that "you should never pay book price" but that is kind of unrealistic.

The main question now is "how does it play" and "do you like it?"

It still hasn't been verified that this is what it actually is, but if you bought it through a store or dealer, chances are it is what they said it was. I would be a little more concerned if it was bought through eBay out of Asia or a private deal from Craigslist.

Okay cool. I am happy with now that I know it really isn't worth 300 bucks. Question though, is it a squier or a regular strat?
It is considered a "Fender:Stratocaster:Special Edition Series" which also includes most of the Fender MIJ Strats as well.

I really appreciate your help. Thank you very much. That puts me at ease.
So then there you go, not terribly overpriced
Plus, you like the way it sounds, that's what stood out most to me in your post, so congrats
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell