So i have a pretty simple question. I'm looking for a very beefy, metal-like tone, but i want as much clarity as possible. every tone I make just sounds too muddy in my opinion. any tips on a good heavy tone that still maintains good clarity?
Quote by jetwash69
Is this the equipment you're using?:

Laguna: LE200QBC

Line6: Spider IV 15

well, I don't play on my amp very much. I use POD Farm 2.5 now for the most part. and I now have a Hellraiser C-1.. I know the obvious answer is "turn the gain down" but I'm looking for a little more insight if possible, i wanna learn!
more mids, less bass, less gain treble to taste
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
There's a lot that goes into mixing a good metal tone. You'll probably want 4+ tracks and you'll have to know how to EQ. There's actually a really good article featured on UG about it right now.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
There's a lot that goes into mixing a good metal tone. You'll probably want 4+ tracks and you'll have to know how to EQ. There's actually a really good article featured on UG about it right now.

Are you talking about quad tracking, doubling in each channel? That can really muddy things up. Unless you mean like a rhythm and lead in each, like what Killswitch Engage does here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fID7PVBd4zA&t=42s
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
Quote by OfCourseNot
Are you talking about quad tracking, doubling in each channel? That can really muddy things up. Unless you mean like a rhythm and lead in each, like what Killswitch Engage does here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fID7PVBd4zA&t=42s

Nah, I mean using the bass and kick drum for all your low end and then using a few guitars to fill out the mids. It CAN muddy things up, yes, but when done properly it's way fatter than anything else you can do. Unnaturally fat, of course. The studio I worked at all summer was big on this and I kind of scoffed until I heard the results. Effing huge.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri

That's definitely stuff I want to learn. although I use garageband and feel very limited with what i can do with the program.
Quote by a7xrox5
well, I don't play on my amp very much. I use POD Farm 2.5 now for the most part. and I now have a Hellraiser C-1.. I know the obvious answer is "turn the gain down" but I'm looking for a little more insight if possible, i wanna learn!

Have you tried Reaper instead of GB? If it's easier for you to use, then maybe you can get some more VSTs to do EQ.

I'm assuming you got an EMG 81 in the bridge?

You might want to try some guitars with DiMarrzio pups if you haven't already. D-Activators are designed to share some of the benefits of actives but without the downfalls-see their site for the whole story. Shouldn't be too hard to find them in an Ibanez Iceman or a Xiphos. I like the IBZ F2 DiMarzio made for Ibanez, too. In fact, I'm reaching over an RG with one of those as I type right now.

Does it just sound muddy over your computer speakers, or have you burned it onto CD or onto an MP3 player and seen how it sounds through a good stereo? Could just be your monitors.

Finally, you might want to try a distortion effect with a tone control on it and keep it left of 12 o'clock.
We have similar taste in tone, it seems. On a 3 band amp setting, the tone you're describing can achieved live by using something like

Gain: As low as possible while still maintaining that "saturated" sound, for my 6505+ it's about 3.5.

Bass: Cut this a bit so you don't get muddied up in the bass frequencies, I put mine at 4.

Mids: As high as you can without losing a sense of sounding "natural", mine are at 8.

Treble: All to taste, I keep mine at 7 for a slight amount of "sizzle" on my tone.

Also, some smooth, mid based pickups make everything you play sound more clear, given you have a solid technique and can play everything tightly. I use Bareknuckle Aftermath's, but Seymour Duncan makes some models that are relatively close.

Recorded, that's another story all together. I'm not much of an engineer, at all, I let people far more educated than myself in recording handle that for me. In past recordings, I've had engineers double track both rhythm and lead guitars in both ears to make the guitars more clear. As far as EQ'ing in a recording goes, I have no clue, but alot of the previous posts seem helpful, and there are some good guides on UG on metal recordings.
Last edited by Zan595 at Sep 10, 2012,