When fingerpicking, my thumb always and I mean ALWAYS hits the string above it. If I use my thumb to pluck the 5th string, a part of it will hit the 6th string and mute it. If I pluck the 4th string with my thumb, a part of it will hit the 5th string. It's just something that has to happen in order for me to hit the strings right but I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to happen. Is this bad and how do I prevent it?
I have 2 possible solutions:

1) more practice

2) buy a thumbpick
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Not a quick fix but have you tried learning any flamenco guitar techniques? They focus so much on the picking style that it could help you relieve any of those problems. Sure might take some time though
BTW, I'm not mocking you- it took me a lot of practice to avoid the very thing you're talking about. I DID try a thumbpick, but found it even more awkward. However, using it did force me to alter my thumb position eeeeeever so slightly- when I gave up the thumbpick, I didn't have the problem with my thumb anymore.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by DudE132
When fingerpicking, my thumb always and I mean ALWAYS hits the string above it. If I use my thumb to pluck the 5th string, a part of it will hit the 6th string and mute it. If I pluck the 4th string with my thumb, a part of it will hit the 5th string. It's just something that has to happen in order for me to hit the strings right but I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to happen. Is this bad and how do I prevent it?

It's all about your hand posture.

Look at your thumb when you pick the strings with your thumb. Is your thumb moving wildly out of place after plucking the string? Are you attacking the strings from above to get a clean pluck? Or are you being a bit lazy and going at it from the side?
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Build up speed! Start so slow that you can't possibility get it wrong and build up at a very slow speed - it's tiresome, but it works!
Play a guitar with a wider nut? Even a slightly wider nut can feel much more roomy for fingerstyle.
Practice Travis Picking, slowly at first, then build up speed.

(String)/Finger combo on picking hand: (6)Thumb, (3)ring-finger, (5) thumb, (4)index-finger. Watch your picking hand to make sure you're picking both strings 5 & 6 with your thumb, and string 4 with your index finger.

OR, ook at it this way, with the "fault" you have, you'd be a natural for the blues. Those dudes always played a heavy bass note before picking...
Practising arpeggios improved my finger accuracy. You might try that. (I use the arpeggios in the "pumping nylon" book).
I think I found a way to fix this. When holding the guitar I rest my forearm on the body like normal, and I just re positioned my forearm a bit and now my thumb doesn't hit the other strings. Cant really explain it but it doesn't feel as natural as the other way I played.
Quote by DudE132
I think I found a way to fix this. When holding the guitar I rest my forearm on the body like normal, and I just re positioned my forearm a bit and now my thumb doesn't hit the other strings. Cant really explain it but it doesn't feel as natural as the other way I played.

The video below has Scott Tennant demonstrating hand position when plucking a (classical guitar) string.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ8hvowS0BQ&t=5m11s