I'm gonna give you an example, Metallica's Fade To Black LIVE: --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FMfsT11pdA&feature=related

happens around 0:40 - 0:45

Does anybody know how to make that high sound before the fast part at the intro solo? it sounds like a pinch harmonic but i can't get it, haven't figured how to play the note and then make that high sound, any comments appreciated
It's practically the same as a pinch harmonic. Basically to get that noise (easily) you should have single coil guitar, high gain, and it's easier if the volume is louder.

But instead of letting the thumb hit the string while picking you first pick the string, and then softly press on the hit string either 12 or 24 frets above the fretted note. So there's the sound of the initial note, then the harmonic after you press it.

And I bet you $50 that was a mistake, accidental hit 24 frets above (ie past the frets). Kirk's a pro so he just rides it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
didn't you just post this in guitar techniques? idk why you would post it here you got plenty of advice there...

but yeah I agree with Alan, it probably was a mistake, making mistakes look like they were on purpose is one of the things that separate the pros from the amatures
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
I donno about the tap harmonic, to me it just sound like he hit a note that likes to turn to feedback very rapidly