Hey guys,
My guitarist has has been looking to start using a stereo setup,and I've been trying to make a switching box for him to make it more simplified.
I've taken one of his old marshall footswitch (two switches,one for clean/dirt,the other to switch the reverb on/off) and I've been trying to modify thatwithout any luck,so if someone could help out with a wiring diagram,that'd be great.
What we want to do,is have one switch that will swap two amps from clean to distortion simultaneously.After that we want to get rid of the reverb switch (the reverb is on all the time),and instead have a switch that will swap one amp from clean to distortion,and switch a fuzz box into the effects chain for the other amp.
I hope that makes sense to you all.
To complicate things a little further,one amp (a jcm 900) uses a stereo switching jack,as its switching box has two switches on it (clean/dirt,reverb on/off).When we use a single switching box,the reverb cuts out.How do we wire it so the reverb just stay on?
Thanks

Ian.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
This is a very complex issue. I need to know your soldering ability and your knowledge of the workings of the inside of the amp. I could explain exactly what to do, but I don't want to be responsible for you electrocuting yourself.

Also, do you already have a stereo splitter box? Do one of the amps have a footswitchable effects loop? You know the second switch would throw off the simultaneous switching of the first switch, right?
ahah yeah,complex is one word for it.My soldering skills are passable,and my knowledge of the inside of an amp isn't too advanced,only really the basics.Going inside/modifying a tube amp isn't really on my agenda just yet.
As for a stereo splitter box,he's got a delay pedal with a mono in and a stereo out.As far as I know,neither amp has a switch able effects loop.I had been planning on an external effects loop,similiar to this,but without the L.E.D
http://www.diystompboxes.com/tbbox/tbbox.jpg
If by throwing out,you mean switching both amps to dirt,then expecting the other switch to work like normal without putting the amps back to clean first,,I can understand how that wouldn't work out.
Clearly amp footswitches are much more complicated than I had anticipated!
Thanks

Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Bump?
I know it's a little complicated,but any help would be appreciated.

Quote by Ian hawkins
Hey guys,
My guitarist has has been looking to start using a stereo setup,and I've been trying to make a switching box for him to make it more simplified.

Cool story, bro. Let's do this!

Quote by Ian hawkins

I've taken one of his old marshall footswitch (two switches,one for clean/dirt,the other to switch the reverb on/off) and I've been trying to modify thatwithout any luck,

Sounds like you're gonna need some help

Quote by Ian hawkins

so if someone could help out with a wiring diagram,that'd be great.

That would be great, huh?

Quote by Ian hawkins

What we want to do,is have one switch that will swap two amps from clean to distortion simultaneously.

Let's focus on this part for now. You're gonna need to have a DPDT switch with two jacks as well as two cables. Here's a bunch of switches, find a DPDT that fits your budget: http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Categories?category=Switches%2C+Relays - do NOT get a momentary switch.

If you can get this up and going, I'll continue with your questions.

Quote by Ian hawkins

After that we want to get rid of the reverb switch (the reverb is on all the time),and instead have a switch that will swap one amp from clean to distortion,and switch a fuzz box into the effects chain for the other amp.

I said if you could get that last one going! Anyways, like I said this will throw your whole first switch out of whack, but that would be up to your guitarist to make sure he gets it back in order. The effects chain would require a DPDT switch and two jacks. You'll also need a input and output jack for the guitar. The channel switch will need another pole and another throw. So you're up to a 3PDT with four jacks for this problem.

Quote by Ian hawkins

I hope that makes sense to you all.
To complicate things a little further,one amp (a jcm 900) uses a stereo switching jack,as its switching box has two switches on it (clean/dirt,reverb on/off).When we use a single switching box,the reverb cuts out.How do we wire it so the reverb just stay on?
Thanks
Ian.

Ian, in order to fix this reverb problem, you're gonna need to modify the amp. It's a simple modification, but you could end up hurting yourself if you're not careful. I suggest you get the 6 jacks, DPDT switch, and 3PDT switch that you're gonna need for the earlier stuff and we will continue from there.
Thanks end citizen,I appreciate your help.
I've got the right bits here already,so I'll try out that diagram and report back.
Once again,thanks for helping a noob with grand ideas beyond his own capabilities.

No problem. I'm not entirely sure because it's been a while since I've been inside a JCM, but you may need insulated (plastic) jacks. This is only if the switching circuit isn't completing the circuit to ground.