Hey

Ok so Im wanting to put together my own effects (not me building them just so you know :p So id like some advice on what you guys see as decent effect pedals and so forth.. I play mainly rock and metal and next week I will be buying a Peavey 6505+ with a Harley Benton G412A Vintage.

I have a good idea on some pedals I know I really do want but, some Im not sure on so yeh here goes..

Wah Pedal: Zakk Wylde Sig model
OD pedal: TS9 or a Bad Monkey or a Maxon 808?
flanger: ??
chorus: ??
reverb: ??
compression: ??
noise gate: ??
octave pedal: mxr blue pedal

Any suggestions on the pedals I havent named specifically would be really appreciated.

Cheers
Do you have a maximum budget you'd like to spend? Or a maximum you'd like to spend on each pedal?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
For Reverb/Delay, there are a tonne of options to take into consideration. It's largely preference, you might want something like a Space Echo or something a little more 'normal'.

I personally prefer Phasers to Flangers. An MXR Phase 90 or a EHX Small Stone are pretty standard.

Comperssion, I would look for some sort of optical compressor.

Noise Gate: ISP Decimator
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Erm I suppose I wouldnt want to spend anymore than £100-150 for each of these pedals.
If your in the US, take your rent money into guitar center, buy several pedals, try them on your gear for awhile, take them all back, gradually buy the ones you like from somewhere else.
Edit: oh, not in the US,
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Apr 12, 2012,
Yeah I cant say that im greatly into Delay tbf I think The Edge from U2 killed that passion for me lol but yeh Reverb seems more my thing.

Ive heard the ISP Decimator is fairly expensive? Could you recommend a cheaper alt brand that isnt so bad?
Quote by lucky1978
If your in the US, take your rent money into guitar center, buy several pedals, try them on your gear for awhile, take them all back, gradually buy the ones you like from somewhere else.
Edit: oh, not in the US,

Sadly im in the UK :/
No idea about pricing in UK, but that doesn't seem too bad a budget for some decent pedals.

Wah Pedal: Buy a used GCB-95 and get someone to mod it. Seriously. It'll save you heaps and it'll sound great. I did this from owning heaps of wahs and it's amazing.
OD pedal: Depends what sort of OD you want. To boost an already distorted signal? Or to use it on it's own? Or both?
flanger: Boss HF-2 (will have to look used), tc electronic vortex or an ibanez af-2
chorus: jam waterfall
reverb: nuenaber WET, tc electronic hall of fame
compression: diamond comp or MIJ boss cs2
noise gate: ISP decimator or an mxr smartgate
octave pedal: micro pog or pog 2
EQ Pedal: mxr 6 or 10 band eq
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I run my 6505 through a Boss NS-2 (noise gate) a digitech bad monkey tube overdrive a Boss GE-7 (EQ) and a Boss PH-3 Phase shifter, sounds pretty sweet
LOOK ANOTHER GENERIC SIGNATURE ABOUT MY GEAR AND STUFF
Ibanez P.O.S (modded RG)
ESP Horizon FR-II
ESP LTD H-308 (Ironing board with strings)

"A great man once said; "a great man once said""

Extend your range....7s 8s and more
the TS9 and 808 are pretty much the same pedal. There's like a couple resistors different between them. So $0.05 worth of different components, and double the price tag. I have a TS9 which I had planned on modding, but after cracking it open I found that it already had the chip that most people use as an upgrade straight from the factory. So I swapped out the LED for one I could actually see without standing directly over it, and called it a day.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by Eppicurt
No idea about pricing in UK, but that doesn't seem too bad a budget for some decent pedals.

Wah Pedal: Buy a used GCB-95 and get someone to mod it. Seriously. It'll save you heaps and it'll sound great. I did this from owning heaps of wahs and it's amazing.
OD pedal: Depends what sort of OD you want. To boost an already distorted signal? Or to use it on it's own? Or both?
flanger: Boss HF-2 (will have to look used), tc electronic vortex or an ibanez af-2
reverb: nuenaber WET, tc electronic hall of fame
compression: diamond comp or MIJ boss cs2
noise gate: ISP decimator or an mxr smartgate
octave pedal: micro pog or pog 2
EQ Pedal: mxr 6 or 10 band eq

The OD pedal would be used as a boost for a distorted signal, solos n some leads.

Yeh there's some products you've mentioned there that im not familiar with but Ill defo check them out, Checked out the ISP and it seems decent, along with the mxr 6 band.. I think the 10 band is a bit too much for my needs atm.. I checked out a mxr 74' chorus pedal earlier on and man it sounded sweet but yeh Ive no idea what the guy was running it with unfortunately..
Quote by Eppicurt

Seriously TS.
It's a bit pricey ($300 USD), but I absolutely LOVE mine.
Hands down the best chorus I've ever played

Here's some clips.
First two runs of the riff are clean, no chorus.
When it stops and starts again, I switch it off.
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and Wet Sand are the Vibe half.
Ignore the tone.
Didn't know my wah was on until after I recorded it, and I was too lazy to re-do it.
http://soundcloud.com/frank-birkner/waterfall
Last edited by darkwolf291 at Apr 12, 2012,
Quote by PrimitiveGuitar
I run my 6505 through a Boss NS-2 (noise gate) a digitech bad monkey tube overdrive a Boss GE-7 (EQ) and a Boss PH-3 Phase shifter, sounds pretty sweet

That does sound pretty cool, Do you have a demo of your rig on youtube or something I could check out?