im looking at the blacktop strat HH, it has 2 options for fret bored, rosewood and maple....i have 2 guitars with rosewood and 1 with ebony but not to sure if i have ever used maple so how would maple be different to rosewood? is it better or worse??
It's brighter. Also finished, so it will feel different. I personally like rosewood over ebony and maple, but that's just me. Only way you'll know is if you try it out.
When you said "fret bored" I thought it meant you were tired of the guitar or learning notes.

They are certainly different materials and also tend to feel a little different when playing. I have heard some people complain that they have a harder time playing a maple neck, when their fingers or hands are sweaty. I have not personally experieinced this, but it does seem possible. Personally, I wouldn't say either is better or worse. I own a Fender Custom Shop Telecaster with a maple fretboard. My only concern is that the finish will eventually wear away. I guess this is to be expected.

I'd suggest you visit your local guitar store and try both. See which one works better for you.
yh, try and compare, maple fretboards on a strat are part of the classic tone and look imo - but some prefer rosewood because it is left unfinished and feels different under the fingers. Try both, pick which sounds best to your ears.
Quote by griffin888
It's brighter. Also finished, so it will feel different. I personally like rosewood over ebony and maple, but that's just me. Only way you'll know is if you try it out.

There's actually some debate about that statement. I'm not sure I believe that a small strip of maple has all that much impact on the tone of a guitar. Case in point... When I bought my Telecaster, the shop had two models on-hand. One had the rosewood fretboard and this one had the maple. I played both and really couldn't tell a difference. At the time, I preferred the looks of the maple, so it's the one I bought. Again, I don't think a thin slice of maple is going to make that much of a difference. There just isn't enough of it there.
I own a Fender Custom Shop Telecaster with a maple fretboard. (Invalid img)
The only difference in tone I've noticed going between my Rosewood and Maple strats is when I snap the strings off the fretboard when doing funkier stuff. Even then, it's barely noticeable, and if there's any gain, you can't even tell. Try out a maple fretboard at a shop and buy whichever fretboard you find most comfortable.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by KG6_Steven
When you said "fret bored" I thought it meant you were tired of the guitar or learning notes.

As did I!
I thought it was a thread about going fretless...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Try buying your frets a ps3 that should keep em occupied for hours.
"Which road do I take"? she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" was his response.
"I don't know", Alice answered.
"Then", said the cat,
"it doesn't matter.”
Well, you should try entertaining your frets with a game or something.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.