So i have had some bad times recently, job losses, facing bankrupcy-about to lose my home, women trouble and losing close friends. I am going to go to the doctor to discuss my depression. I sat in a darkened bedroom for 2 years pretty much and got to 18 stone.

I managed to get out of that..down to 12 stone and got out there, but i am still getting suicidal thoughts, cant be confident in public and other things.

I am concerned about taking medication, as my ex was on heavy meds and had crazy mood swings etc.
Last edited by Sir-Shredalot at Apr 12, 2012,
Dude just try and occupy your mind by doing something constructive.
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
I pretty much felt like crap on medication. But it helped tremendously in the long run.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
I can't honestly help you out Shredalot, but I just hope you get better somehow!

Quote by slash_GNR666
You sir, are a giant c*** and you finger will forever haunt my dreams.

Quote by Kind, Non-Existant User
Coco-Loco is the finest bit of meat on the butcher block.
Quote by deathdrummer
Dude just try and occupy your mind by doing something constructive.

It's easy to just hand out advice on the internet but in the end it's up to TS take it.

I will be as optimistic as possible and tell you that you should tell your doctor about it. As much as you can. If you start crying then so be it. You are there to seek help.

My advice to you also is that do not rely too much on medication. When you don't have to take it, don't take it. Do exercise and eat right.
Quote by metaldud536
It's easy to just hand out advice on the internet but in the end it's up to TS take it.

I will be as optimistic as possible and tell you that you should tell your doctor about it. As much as you can. If you start crying then so be it. You are there to seek help.

My advice to you also is that do not rely too much on medication. When you don't have to take it, don't take it. Do exercise and eat right.

Thanks. I have amended my diet and try to do my daily exercise.
TS, I have a lot of personal experience with this stuff. PM me and I'll give the best advice I can.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Go vegan, high carb low fat, preferably raw, high fruit . Chek out the 80/10/10 diet by dr. Graham. Do some research on raw veganism. Try it out, it works 100 % . Choose life if you wanna live, don't stuff your face with bs medication. peace
Hey pal, I've been through some similar stuff myself. I went to speak with my GP, I've been prescribed Fluoxetine as an anti-depressant, on a 6 month course whilst I get help. They'll also have information for you regarding the various services that are available in your local area to help with councilling etc.

I would say that the anti-depressants make you feel like hell for about a week, headaches, stuffiness, kinda like having a bad summer cold. After that, they aren't a magic pill. I found that I still have similar feelings, it's just that now the desperate edge has gone, and I feel like I can handle them, and move on.

I'd really recommend talking to your GP though pal, and if you need any informal help, be it just some general advice, or just to offload and rant - I'm only a PM away mate.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Definitely see a doctor.

A combination of SSRI's and cognitive behavioural therapy could help but don't take my word on this. SSRI's help you stay more optimistic while the CBT gets to the root of the problem.

Keep your head up man
thanks guys. i registered with a self help group in my area, went for a jog and im going to stay with my parents tonight.

ug is an amazing community, i dont think that gets recognised enough! Much love.
Meds didn't help me much although I probably didn't give them a fair shake. Only took one over a period of 6 weeks. That's not very long for the meds to do what they need to and often you have to try a few to find the right one(s) for you.

Luckily I came across cognitive therapy and that really helped me a lot. I recommend reading the book Feeling Good: the new mood therapy by Dr. Burns. It teaches you how to be aware of your own habits of self-defeating thoughts and to critically evaluate them. Essentially, if you view the world in overly negative ways then you're bound to feel the way you do. PM me if you want the PDF of the book.
My studies of Buddhism have helped me with anger management and depression. The more you think about helping others, the less you think about yourself.
No meds, no Doctors, just a content mind. Good luck It works.
Smoke weed, it's a great way to keep depressive thoughts from taking over.

I've been through it over the course of the last two years and I can honestly say that time, introspection, and careful unraveling of your mental constructs is the best solution. Don't believe that some magic pill makes you all better - it doesn't. Whatever conditions led to the mangling of your spirit must be unmangled, and that can only be done by you through thought. Anything else is suppression, and you will pay the price for it in time.

They say depression rewrites your definition of happiness, and that has certainly been the case for me. Once you learn to identify that and work towards fixing it, i.e. defining happiness once again, you will start to feel better by better, and emptiness/hollowness will subside in waves of decreasing amplitude. Just as it got worse over time, it will get better over time.

Hope that helps.

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Basically you should either wait for Ur All $hit to post, or PM him, because the rest of the advice you'll get will probably be complete shit.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by Guitbuilder
My studies of Buddhism have helped me with anger management and depression. The more you think about helping others, the less you think about yourself.
No meds, no Doctors, just a content mind. Good luck It works.

i am slowly coming to that conclusion.
I work at a pharmacy and I recommend you do not skip on the meds. It may feel like hell but they DO help in the long run. You need a continuous treatment in order for them to work at their best, and then you can gradually decrease the dosage. Just be completely open with your doctor, as uncomfortable it may be.

Best of luck, you'll get through this
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"