I know the impendance "should be the same on your amplifier, Hot Plate and speaker cabinet", but I do not know which ohms are relevant.
According to Vox, my amp has:
Output Power: 30 Watts RMS into 16 Ohms
Speaker: 2 x 12" 8 ohm Celestion G12M Greenback

I.e, both 8 ohms and 16 ohms are mentioned.

The Hot Plate comes in 2, 4, 8 and 16 ohms
Which Hot Plate model should I choose?
Last edited by Saesang at Apr 12, 2012,
2x8 ohm speakers wired in series gives you 16 ohms. Your amp is set for a 16 ohm load, and the speakers are wired to provide that impedance.

You want the 16 ohm hot plate.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Roc8995
2x8 ohm speakers wired in series gives you 16 ohms. Your amp is set for a 16 ohm load, and the speakers are wired to provide that impedance.

You want the 16 ohm hot plate.

Great! Thank you
Are you set on a hot plate? Most comparisons I've read and statements I've heard say the weber mass is better (1/2 the price or less too, and with selectable impedance).

Just my .02 , I don't own either one, just repeating what I've heard
Quote by Chad11491
Are you set on a hot plate? Most comparisons I've read and statements I've heard say the weber mass is better (1/2 the price or less too, and with selectable impedance).

Just my .02 , I don't own either one, just repeating what I've heard

Hmm... I've read a little into Weber. I get no clear majority in favour of any of the two. Hot Plate is more available here in Europe, and I see no reason why I would change the inpedance, so I think I'll go with Hot Plate.
Hold up, why exactly do you want an attenuator? If you're thinking it's a magical, mystical device that'll give you the golden soft clip at bedroom whisper levels, you're better off saving your money.

Cutting more than 4 decibels on a Hotplate will affect your tone quite significantly.

I have a Hotplate... it's now only an over-sized and expensive signal splitter.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Hold up, why exactly do you want an attenuator? If you're thinking it's a magical, mystical device that'll give you the golden soft clip at bedroom whisper levels, you're better off saving your money.

Cutting more than 4 decibels on a Hotplate will affect your tone quite significantly.

I have a Hotplate... it's now only an over-sized and expensive signal splitter.

I would not exactly choose those words, but yes, I live in a flat and volume is an issue. I have a practice amp for the really inappropriate times, but I would like to tone the Vox down. I know the character of the tone will change, but from examples I have heard, an attentuator is still an improvement compared to turning the input level to 0,1 on every buffered effects and volume pedal.
It would be an improvement on doing that, but the MV on the C2 is quite good. I'd be surprised if an attenuator did a better job at getting the amp quiet down to apartment levels.
Quote by Roc8995
It would be an improvement on doing that, but the MV on the C2 is quite good. I'd be surprised if an attenuator did a better job at getting the amp quiet down to apartment levels.

MV?
Master Volume.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
Master Volume.

Ah

Quote by Roc8995

Are attenuators that horrible? Lowering the master volume makes a much worse tone than lowering input levels on my pedals, especially when I use the top boost channel. It resembles broken digital machinery more than a guitar.
Attenuators mess with your tone quite a lot. Anything more than a slight volume reduction ends up squashing everything.

The good news is, the MV on the Vox keeps the tone very bright, which it sounds like you don't want. An attenuator will do the opposite, so maybe it will work better for you. It's just hard to recommend an expensive piece of gear like an attenuator when it doesn't seem like it will solve the problem.
I used to run an attenuator on my old amp (before I blew it since I didn't take good care of it) and have been thinking about getting an attenuator for my AC30C2 as well. Are you really that unhappy with the tone of turning down the master volume that you think you need to bypass it all together though? Keep in mind that running an attenuator on the AC30, unless you are running an external speaker cabinet and muting the internal speakers (which would be a bad idea since it's loaded with those wonderful sounding Greenbacks), will require you to perform some modifications on the amp, which should really be avoided if at all possible if you have no experience/like your tone as it is.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
I used to run an attenuator on my old amp (before I blew it since I didn't take good care of it) and have been thinking about getting an attenuator for my AC30C2 as well. Are you really that unhappy with the tone of turning down the master volume that you think you need to bypass it all together though? Keep in mind that running an attenuator on the AC30, unless you are running an external speaker cabinet and muting the internal speakers (which would be a bad idea since it's loaded with those wonderful sounding Greenbacks), will require you to perform some modifications on the amp, which should really be avoided if at all possible if you have no experience/like your tone as it is.

I wish I had recording equipment, so that you could hear for yourself. Top boost with master volume below 25% sounds terrible. It ads a peculiar digital-ish distortion, not brightness.

The engineering process is no issue. I'll leave it to my local music store.
I personally found an attenuator quite useless in maintaining tone. As I mentioned before, anything above 4 decibels of volume reduction really mucks up your tone.

At 4 decibels, I can already hear changes to my tone. Above 4 decibels, I hear mudding of frequencies, and significant changes to the tone. Worst of all, engaging the Deep and Bright switches further screws up your tone, the Bright switch makes your higher frequencies really shrill, while the Deep switch makes your lows and lower miss really muddy.

In so far as I'm aware, the AC30C2 is an analog amp, I don't see how it can be digital sounding.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.