Hi Guys, long time lurker... but I need advice... so first post.

My son's basically taken over my Ibanez Art100... so I want to get him his own guitar. We're both beginners... so music style is less important right now than playability.

He prefers playing his sister's 3/4 Squier because of the string 'feel' ( think he means action) but likes my Art100 full size better because it's the right size.

I want to stay under $300, even less if possible.

I can get this up the street for $229 -> http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0321703506

or I can probably order a Yamaha Pacifica 112v from a few places online for $299ish. For some reason, no one in Calgary is carrying the PAC112V in stock.

Any other recommendations?

Advice is appreciated
How old is he? I'd advise asking him what type of body/color he likes before you go and drop 300 on it.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

He's 12, he likes black, but is surprisingly not that picky about colors.

And he is on my guitar all the time... Rocksmith, or plugged into my amp, or Justin Guitar etc.
Look used. kijiji has over 1000 guitars in calgary and I buy from kijiji often.
I'll pop in here after work and help more if you still need.
You'll get a much nicer guitar used at that price point.
that strat would be pretty decent. the HSS set-up will give him better versatility down the road and allow the guitar to last a little longer. you could also check out the vintage modified telecaster custom from squire. surprisingly good guitar for $250.

a pacifica would also be quite solid. i'm always a little wary buying a guitar sight-unseen, but if you trust the retailer then you should be good to go.
Quote by BlueZee
Hi Guys, long time lurker... but I need advice... so first post.

My son's basically taken over my Ibanez Art100... so I want to get him his own guitar. We're both beginners... so music style is less important right now than playability.

He prefers playing his sister's 3/4 Squier because of the string 'feel' ( think he means action) but likes my Art100 full size better because it's the right size.

I want to stay under $300, even less if possible.

I can get this up the street for $229 -> http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0321703506

or I can probably order a Yamaha Pacifica 112v from a few places online for $299ish. For some reason, no one in Calgary is carrying the PAC112V in stock.

Any other recommendations?

Advice is appreciated

you should look for a used LTD EC-256....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESP-LTD-EC-256-Guitar-w-EMG-81-/150795237216?pt=Guitar&hash=item231c18b760
I suggest Agile guitars, they are EXTREMELY worth the money. For a beginner, the quality of the instrument won't be a huge factor, but even their $100 guitars are around the level of a lot of other brand's $300 400 guitars. The guy who runs the company is very good about returns if the guitar come damaged or something else happens (this doesn't happen often and I only know about this good service because of gear heads who complain about some tiny mark on the guitar). Also for an amp i suggest a Line6 Spider 4. I use it for my home practice and it works great, solid tone for a 15watt solid state and is around $100

http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html

there are tonnes of colour and model options, even 3/4 size guitars under $300
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
+100 on Sonnyrocker's suggestion. That's like a hundred times nicer guitar than I started out with. I play an Eclipse, which is the big brother of that one, and I have nothing bad to say about ESP/LTD's in general. What I said doesn't really matter I guess, but I've tried an LTD Alexi 200 and a few EC's as well and they played like a million bucks. On some to be completely honest I couldn't tell the difference if I didn't look at the 'stock.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Last edited by StrykVladzimsky at Apr 12, 2012,
I had not looked at ESP, thanks for the suggestions...

One thing I noticed, prices up here in Canada are about the same as they are in the US. So refreshing to not have to pay 30-40% more

I'll take him in and get him to try a few. He finds my guitar a bit heavy, and I thought a strat type was a bit lighter than a single cutaway. You guys have been a great help.

Any brands in particular that I should be staying away from at this price range?
Just a thought- get the action on your Ibanez adjusted so that it feels more like your daughter's guitar and we of he like it. If he does, get YOURSELF a new guitar.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
If he likes the "looser" string feel then I's say go for something with a 24.75" length - so an SG or Les Paul type. Certainly with a set of gauge 9 strings he'll find it noticeably more comfortable to play than a Strat type.

Having said that the ART is the same scale length so maybe try changing the strings for a set of 9'sand see if he finds that more to his liking - if he does then you're definitely better off making sure the guitar you get him has the same scale length.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Just a thought- get the action on your Ibanez adjusted so that it feels more like your daughter's guitar and we of he like it. If he does, get YOURSELF a new guitar.

I like the way you think!

I think the ART100 already comes with 9/42 strings, I'll double check though, even I wouldn't mind lighter strings
Quote by BlueZee
I like the way you think!

I think the ART100 already comes with 9/42 strings, I'll double check though, even I wouldn't mind lighter strings

And it's not just the mercenary side of me talking. He clearly loves that guitar- whether it's the size or the fact that it belongs to his dad is immaterial- why make him change if he doesn't have to?

And as an adult, you could get yourself something very similar or well upscale without feeling that parental dread about spending lots of cash on something your kid may abandon in a year...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
And it's not just the mercenary side of me talking. He clearly loves that guitar- whether it's the size or the fact that it belongs to his dad is immaterial- why make him change if he doesn't have to?

And as an adult, you could get yourself something very similar or well upscale without feeling that parental dread about spending lots of cash on something your kid may abandon in a year...

I was gonna suggest that you take him to the shop and have him try out different guitars, but this idea is far less complicated, I mean, you already know what your son likes, and you'll have easier time finding a guitar for yourself then for him.
Hello Kitty Squier. Your welcome.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Hello,

How about an Epiphone LP-100. I got one for my little sister when she started playing. It's solid, plays good and feels good the neck is pretty thin and smooth. Cost is about $249. I think it's a pretty good deal to start him off with.
My Gear :
Gibson Gothic Explorer
Epiphone Les Paul Zakk Wlyde (Korean)
ESP LTD EC-1000vb
Jackson RR24m
Kramer Focus HSS
Alvarez Acoustic
91-95 Peavey 5150 2x12
Marshall MG 250 DFX 2x12
VOX ToneLab ST Muti Effects
Quote by acdc51502112
I suggest Agile guitars, they are EXTREMELY worth the money. For a beginner, the quality of the instrument won't be a huge factor, but even their $100 guitars are around the level of a lot of other brand's $300 400 guitars. The guy who runs the company is very good about returns if the guitar come damaged or something else happens (this doesn't happen often and I only know about this good service because of gear heads who complain about some tiny mark on the guitar). Also for an amp i suggest a Line6 Spider 4. I use it for my home practice and it works great, solid tone for a 15watt solid state and is around $100

there are tonnes of colour and model options, even 3/4 size guitars under
$300

He is in CALGARY! CANADA! Canada and Agile = No go. Just like to point this out. Also, whatever you buy, IMO, go used. You can get a better price on a good guitar.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by AWACS
He is in CALGARY! CANADA! Canada and Agile = No go. Just like to point this out. Also, whatever you buy, IMO, go used. You can get a better price on a good guitar.

This. You can all ways find better deals used.

Such as this, you could probably talk this guy down about $50 to $75
http://calgary.en.craigslist.ca/msg/2895416941.html
I'm going to look at a few of these on Kijiji, there's definitely a few nice ones on there.
First, don't forget one thing, the Art100 has a 24 3/4 scale, where "standard" strat like have 25 1/2 scale. Before doing anything in 25 1/2, let him try one to see if he likes it.

As for the feeling, Ibanez has the reputation of slim neck and low action. Not everyone likes it that way (I do and I find the ART100 and extremely good bargain) so you should make him try other necks. EC256 might be a good alternative (24 3/4 scale and beefier neck) and can mostly be found used at a steal! Get him to try an epiphone also, same scale and even beefier neck.

if he's "meh" about those also, it might be the string tenssion, your best bet would be to try different string sizes, as stated above
Quote by acdc51502112

there are tonnes of colour and model options, even 3/4 size guitars under $300

yesh. pick this one
Quote by dragonkidkoga
yesh. pick this one

idiot...

Hes in canada, the shipping alone would cost more than some of the guitars on that site.

Also no one should get a 15 watt spyder, they are crap. Vypyr's are awesome, so are the fender G-Decs and Roland cubes.
Im half tempted to buy one of those agiles just to see what the hype is about.
I am frankly very skeptical.
Quote by Darkdevil725
idiot...

Hes in canada, the shipping alone would cost more than some of the guitars on that site.

Also no one should get a 15 watt spyder, they are crap. Vypyr's are awesome, so are the fender G-Decs and Roland cubes.

played them all, you obviously can't dial in tone. The Vypyr, G-Decs and cubes don't touch the spider 4.

ALSO, Rondo gives full warranty to US and Canada, so I doubt there would be any issue, and everyone who has had an issue ordering from Canada (that I've seen) has had such an easy time with Rondo. You UG kids don't seem to really have any kind of a empirical opinion.
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
Quote by AWACS

mmm cant see why Agile and canada is a no-go .. yes shipping is very expensive .. but on the Agile 2000 .. the shipping is 70-80 $ .. this include all taxes and custom duty ( nothing more collected by ups ) .. si its not that bad .

i would suggest a Agile slim .over the regular agile . the neck is super slim and confortable for younger player and small hands .

an agile 2000 should cover is basic and more . go for a agile 3000 if you can afford more right away . but the 2000 should do the job .

get a slim profile .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Some people think Agile guitars feel like toys, get him something he will still want to play in 5+ years time.
Quote by run.away
Some people think Agile guitars feel like toys, get him something he will still want to play in 5+ years time.

the agile 2000 is lower range than than the 3000 for sure .. but Agile feeling like toys ??? not at all .

the 3000 series is a good guitar at a great price.
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Appreciate all the advice a LOT. Hit up kijiji, and found a really cool guy selling several guitars, all in great shape. My son ended up liking an Ibanez GAX70, about 9-10 years old, Indonesian made, sounds great, in excellent condition. Only $100...
In 6th grade I got a piece of shit guitar. My parents told me if I got really good I'd get a better guitar. So if you tell your kid that he will practice his ass off and you won't have to worry about a new guitar for him. By the time you are ready to buy him one he will have decided to stick with it or quit. Now get YOU a guitar to play one and get him a pack of 8-38 or 9-42 gauge strings and adjust the action. I'm high so if you think this is a good answer... read it twice and write it down on paper to see if it makes sense.