BADBADNOTGOOD is a post-bop trio from Toronto, and they're pretty great. They give away pretty much all of their stuff for free on their bandcamp, I'd really recommend checking them out if you haven't. Besides their original material, they often do pretty great jazz covers of mainly hip-hop tracks (although they also cover James Blake's "CMYK" and My Bloody Valentine's "Do You Realise").

They released their second album a little over a week ago, and it's pretty fantastic.
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Apr 12, 2012,
Downloaded BBNG2 a couple of days ago and I really like it. Downloading BBNG as we speak.

Edit: Are they really post-bop? I thought post-bop was generally more technical and had more of a virtuoso vibe. These guys are good and all, but they seem more set on laying down a good beat than achieving 'intricate harmonic interplay'.
Last edited by frankv at Apr 12, 2012,
I don't know really, the only time I've ever actually heard the term "post-bop" used was in reference to bbng. Could you give me some other examples?
Quote by crazy8rgood
I don't know really, the only time I've ever actually heard the term "post-bop" used was in reference to bbng. Could you give me some other examples?

I went to the post-bop page on Last.fm and judging by the comments ("Post-bop? Is this a troll tag?" and something along the lines of "Did you get into jazz through Pitchfork?") it might not be a proper genre. But if you believe Allmusic and Wikipedia it's supposed to describe jazz influenced by hard-bop, free jazz and the like, but not actually like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeRHRe3c81g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvmJHprG_Fg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdubveG7JQw

Then again, they might as well be post-bop too. I'm really not sure. I just figured that if anything, they'd be closer to acid jazz, because of the hip hop influence.

I'll settle for 'good jazz' though.
I'd call it Jazz-hop, but I haven't heard too much of their work to be 100% sure. Still, I like what I hear.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by frankv
I went to the post-bop page on Last.fm and judging by the comments ("Post-bop? Is this a troll tag?" and something along the lines of "Did you get into jazz through Pitchfork?") it might not be a proper genre. But if you believe Allmusic and Wikipedia it's supposed to describe jazz influenced by hard-bop, free jazz and the like, but not actually like it.

Then again, they might as well be post-bop too. I'm really not sure. I just figured that if anything, they'd be closer to acid jazz, because of the hip hop influence.

I'll settle for 'good jazz' though.

People make a bit deal if someone got into jazz through Pitchfork? That's stupid. I mean, I didn't get into jazz through Pitchfork, but so what if some people do? People are such elitist pricks. I think the fact that they got into "your" genre should be good enough for you, who cares what introduced them to it. It's just like people arguing that they're better than someone who got into a band through a video game soundtrack or something. So what? Is the way that you got into them any better? Why is it any better?

Sorry for the rant but seriously people are such fahs.
Quote by crazy8rgood
People make a bit deal if someone got into jazz through Pitchfork? That's stupid. I mean, I didn't get into jazz through Pitchfork, but so what if some people do? People are such elitist pricks. I think the fact that they got into "your" genre should be good enough for you, who cares what introduced them to it. It's just like people arguing that they're better than someone who got into a band through a video game soundtrack or something. So what? Is the way that you got into them any better? Why is it any better?

/mu/.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Apr 13, 2012,
Quote by crazy8rgood

I don't know, but I don't think that's what those people meant either. They seemed to pass off the post-bop tag itself as something Pitchfork hipsters created.

http://www.last.fm/tag/post-bop

Could very well be that those comments are reactions to what has been tagged as post-bop rather than the tag itself.

Also, why is this thread in this forum and not Jazz/Blues?
Quote by due 07
I oughta join a white boi jazz group. I could do it.

So long as all you play is note for note recreations of semi popular songs and add in a dash of ironic white boy hip-hop appropriation you're good to go.

I don't know why they're a big deal, they're somewhere between Muzak and a High School jam band.
^I think you're giving them too little credit. They're clearly all talented musicians and the tracks manage to draw me in and keep my interest better than a heck of a lot of music so I really don't think they're background music or anything like that.

And there's nothing wrong with covering songs, especially in jazz. I like how they don't just do Summertime or Autumn Leaves for 500 billionth time. They give them a cool spin too.
Quote by frankv
I don't know, but I don't think that's what those people meant either. They seemed to pass off the post-bop tag itself as something Pitchfork hipsters created.

http://www.last.fm/tag/post-bop

Could very well be that those comments are reactions to what has been tagged as post-bop rather than the tag itself.

Also, why is this thread in this forum and not Jazz/Blues?

I thought it'd be better here since the alt/indie crowd seems to be their biggest audience.
Quote by crazy8rgood

lol hipster rant
Quote by Doppelgänger
lol hipster rant

I thought it was a pretty legitimate rant.

I might consider these guys nu-jazz if anything, but nu-jazz borrows heavily from trip-hop, or at least my definition of it does.

I really liked BBNG2, but I missed the massive jams and improvising they did on BBNG. It's still kickass though, Flashing Lights is my favorite.
I just heard some of their stuff off YouTube. They're clearly very talented musicians, and I kinda like their ATCQ and Doom covers. What struck me was their production quality. Some ace engineering going on there.
Quote by frankv
^Your username reminds me that i've been meaning to ask: the fuck is a cray?!

Noone knows what it means. But its provocative. It gets people going.