Hard to see really but I have a string of blue LED's (actually Xmas lights) under the top panel. It isn't bright enough to read the labels on the pedals but is bright enough to see what you are doing.

In daylight so you can see the actual board properly:

The LED's are powered by the power supply for the pedals which is hidden below the aluminium panel on the left. (There's a picoverb in there too.)
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band

Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by Vendetta V
i wanna plug usb leds to 1 spot. I dont know how to convert the 9v to 5v

Not following you. If you are just trying to drive LED's 5V will work just as well as 9V, you just need a smaller current limiting resistor. But i don't understand what you are saying - USB, one spot? How are these things related? What are you trying to do?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Not following you. If you are just trying to drive LED's 5V will work just as well as 9V, you just need a smaller current limiting resistor. But i don't understand what you are saying - USB, one spot? How are these things related? What are you trying to do?

well, there are those things for notebooks right? SUB LED lights. basically an LED light on a goosneck with a usb jack at the end. you plug it to your usb plug I'm trying to do the same but instead of a computer have a box with usb jacks, I want it powered by 1spot. so given that computer usb jacks have 5v I figured that's what the LEDs want really. does that make sense, if no, let me know I'll try and rephrase it again
So just one LED light on a gooseneck, not a string of lights like me and Dom? You'll be able to run it straight off the one spot but you'll probably need a resistor, probably between 500 ohm and 1K in series with it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
So just one LED light on a gooseneck, not a string of lights like me and Dom? You'll be able to run it straight off the one spot but you'll probably need a resistor, probably between 500 ohm and 1K in series with it.

2x of the said thing. Am I going to be able to run the 2 things along with all the pedals?

also I was thinking of a brightness control so may be a the resistor plus a pot?
A little LED lamp will draw naff all current. Unless you also use some really current hungry pedals you'll be fine.
Just experiment. To find the right resistor value I rarely actually bother to calculate it. What I do is use about 5K pot and wire it in with alligator clips. Then starting at the maximum resistance I slowly turn it down until I see the LED's just reach maximum brightness. Then I turn it off, unclip the pot and measure the resistance. That resistance is the sized resistor you need as a current limiter. Once you've done that add a 1K linear pot as well and that will become your dimmer.
Experiment. It's a lot easier if you have a test power supply. I made a variable 1.5A power supply that I use for just this sort of thing. You could even do your tests using a 9V battery if you prefer.
Once you have all your values worked out measure the voltage across the limiting resistor. Now divide that by the value of the resistor and that will tell you the load current. Armed with that info you can calculate if the one spot can handle it by adding up all the currents consumed by the pedals and the LED's and comparing that to the rating on the one spot.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If I want to light them up, I'll turn on the light switch.

Who actually uses pedals anyways. Overdrive/eq/noisegate all always on. One channel of epic overdrive.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
if it were me, the 1spot idea sounds great, thanks for that, ill have to try it out myself. but if that didnt work, the simplest thing i would say is to just build a separately switched led circuit with a 9v battery or something.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
^ Precisely what I was going to suggest. Just get a couple of music stand lights and tape, glue, velcro, or simply slip them to your board if that is an option. Best thing you can do for sure, because you'll be able to have light over your pedals rather than light underneath them showing you where your board is and the outlines of your pedals. Much more practical if you're a player who makes on-the-fly adjustments to pedals during gigs.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Vendetta V
ok that makes sense but what if it's more than the max/ will that fry the 1spot?

Then you need an extra supply just for the light and do the same thing resistor wise. Any old 9Vdc wall wart will do you'll find because the current should be very small. If it is enough to overload the one spot then frankly, you are pushing things too close anyway and should be using a bigger suply anyway - you should always allow a margin of error.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Then you need an extra supply just for the light and do the same thing resistor wise. Any old 9Vdc wall wart will do you'll find because the current should be very small. If it is enough to overload the one spot then frankly, you are pushing things too close anyway and should be using a bigger suply anyway - you should always allow a margin of error.

thanks for your feedback dude, appreciated. anyways I dont think I'm gonna have any issues with that cause well, I only run analog pedals (not that I am that picky about them but it's just what I got ) and I dont think they are big on current
I'll be trying out this idea today hopefully if I can find a usb jack and box
It may very well work fine just running directly on 9V just using the limiters they already put in there for 5V. They will have allowed for a bit of error. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
A single LED isn't gonna draw much current at all. Like Cath said, if one LED is the straw that breaks the camels' back, then your one spot was about to burn out anyway. Could test it with a $0.50 LED before you wire it to the ~$10 gooseneck.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
I have a string of christmas lights on a 9v battery on mine.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by Vendetta V
alright htnaks guys, hey how about jsut getting 5 v out of 9? am I jsut ognna need a 3pin IC that does that job?

You'd just need to vary the resistance. The gooseneck light probably already has a resistor in it, so you shouldn't need much, if anything. You can try the trick Cath mentioned and use a pot to get it up to normal brightness and measure the value. Then you could just wire it right inline with the + wire and heatshrink over it so it doesn't look like crap.

I'd imagine you wouldn't need much extra resistance... maybe a couple hundred ohms.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
You'd just need to vary the resistance. The gooseneck light probably already has a resistor in it, so you shouldn't need much, if anything. You can try the trick Cath mentioned and use a pot to get it up to normal brightness and measure the value. Then you could just wire it right inline with the + wire and heatshrink over it so it doesn't look like crap.

I'd imagine you wouldn't need much extra resistance... maybe a couple hundred ohms.

well the thing is that I actually got a nice USB hub that I'm gonna stick to the board which is gonna be the base for the goosnecks this thing runs on 5v I guess, wouldnt want to burn this up along with 2 goosnecks. anyways some guys suggested I get 2 caps (100u/10u) and a 7805/78M05/78L05 IC for 5 v out of 9. guess that's what I'm gonna do
any other creative ideas for the pedalboard?
I don't use lights on my board because the light from my Dirt Transmitter is ridiculously bright, meaning that if I need to have a quick look for something on my board I can just give it a kick. The lights on my Nova are always on too and I don't do that much pedal jockeying to begin with.

If I wanted to light it up I'd get a clip-on reading light or something and clip it to the edge of my board.