I'm using a EMG 81 in the bridge position and I'm having a lot of problems filling out the low end. I can't get the bass and guitar to sit nicely with each other, they're too separate.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
This I think: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19504966/AllThatIAmDemo.mp3

I've since kinda fix it... not entirely sure how I did it though.

Quote by gman128

No It's a 60. The 81/60 Set up seems to be more common than the 85/81 these days.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Apr 12, 2012,
Cut some holes in the guitar low end, boost where you cut those holes in the bass. Or opposite, see which one works.
That's the thing. The EMG's don't HAVE any low end. It rolls off pretty early, much earlier than the passives in my Gibson.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You could try raising the volume of the subs/low of the bass guitar but leaving the mids/top where it is for clarity. I'd check out some other impulses too. Mind posting a DI? I'd like to fiddle with it.
Let's party.
Of the bass and guitar?

Quote by DisarmGoliath
If you remember the string-testing thread I posted the other day - all those clips featured an '81 in the bridge (apart from the right hand side of the original recording I posted, which I think was an EMG HZ, but that's not my guitar so don't quote me on it). Assuming you didn't think the bass and guitars were at odds in those clips, all I'd say is that you probs need more low mids in the bass Try using several copies of the bass track. One original DI for clarity, one low-passed (start at 500Hz then work your way lower until it balances out with the rest of the bass tracks) that is compressed to fcuk, and one distorted track v. low in the mix to gel the bass to the guitars a little.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Well with tweaking this is what I have, sound any good to you guys? Sadly I'm mixing on headphones and will be for some time due to noise constraints (will be upgrading to some AT M-50's soon) so I've got the bass slightly louder cuz I know these headphones (Beyer DT231 Pro's) like to boost the bass so forgive if it's a little bass heavy.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19504966/AllThatIAmDemoFINAL.mp3

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
Well with tweaking this is what I have, sound any good to you guys? Sadly I'm mixing on headphones and will be for some time due to noise constraints (will be upgrading to some AT M-50's soon) so I've got the bass slightly louder cuz I know these headphones (Beyer DT231 Pro's) like to boost the bass so forgive if it's a little bass heavy.

Well, I'd say the bass is too low in the mix for a start (your listening environment might be creating bass buildup that isn't in the mix if you're in a small room?). And on my smaller monitors (I A/B'd between both sets) the bass is hard to even notice, so I think you do definitely need more low mids, and maybe more punch to the low end (which can be added with multi-band comp. or by low passing another track at say 150-200Hz and compressing it to the point of brickwall limiting, and then riding the fader where it needs to come up or down to match the note fundamental's strength in rest of bass tracks).
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Sounds like a little TOO much bass to me now. I added in the low passed track (not automated as of yet but will do if I have need to, not sure what you meant by match the note fundamental strength in rest of bass tracks). I can't wait to get my better headphones (wish I could get some Equator D5's instead though!), really started to realise how little I can trust these headphones.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Apr 12, 2012,
I'm listening on bass-boosted headphones at the moment and the bass really isn't overpowering at all or anything. I think if you put some more low end in the kick and a bit more mids in the guitars (so they aren't as scooped) you'd have a pretty solid mix. Counterparts first record isn't particularly bass heavy in the guitars and most of the low end is in the kick.
Let's party.
*note to self* these headphones boost bass like a bitch. The operational range of these is down to 20hz I think. I'll do some more work on the mix and then post it again.

Cheers for all the help guys.

Quote by DisarmGoliath