So I've just put in the order for a nice 6505 combo and I'm naturally already G.A.Ssing before its even here. It was always a given that I was going to grab an OD pedal or something for a lead boost but I also want a fuzz pedal to give me a more sludge/stoner tone. It was then I ran into this baby

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/radial-engineering-tonebone-classic-trimode-distortion-pedal

Unfortunately I like the sound of its Plexi inspired brother much more but alas I need two gain controls for this particular idea to work. My idea is to roll the gain off on the rhythm channel to act as a lead boost for the lead channel on my Peavey and set a crunch tone on channel 2 but with a fuzz pedal in the FX loop to add some gain and fuzz when I want it. Is this feasible? I have zero experience with fuzz pedals or this particular overdrive.

Any suggestions for fuzz pedals? I'm liking the sound of the Voodoo lab fuzz as well as the Creepy Face and the Mastortion (which is impossible to find).
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Any idea what pedal/gear Jimmy Bower uses? I'd kill to get his rip roaring tone.
I'll do with my Big Muff until then
A great Fuzz is the Seymour Duncan TweakFuzz. 6 Fuzz settings, a volume, and a gain knob. Wont break the bank.
Gear:

Guitars
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez MBM2 EMGs
Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez AS93 BLS

Amp
Carvin V3m
Blackheart 4x12 cab

Pedals
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Zakk Wylde Wah
JamMan looper delay

I've been pretty happy with my swollen pickle. So many knobs, plus hidden knobs! If you like knobs.
Does Jimmy Bower do guitar in Crowbar? Because I've been under the impression that their older stuff was done with Mesas... Leastways, I know early Down stuff was Mesa 50 Cals on Pepper Keenan's end, I've seen some live footage of Crowbar with Randall stuff too...

Quote by Neon Knight
Unfortunately I like the sound of its Plexi inspired brother much more but alas I need two gain controls for this particular idea to work. My idea is to roll the gain off on the rhythm channel to act as a lead boost for the lead channel on my Peavey and set a crunch tone on channel 2 but with a fuzz pedal in the FX loop to add some gain and fuzz when I want it. Is this feasible? I have zero experience with fuzz pedals or this particular overdrive.

Personally, that sounds like WAY too much footswitching for me... TS, do you plan on using amp distortion at all? From what I understand, 6505s have a shitload of gain on the lead channel already... Surely you wouldn't run that pedal's lead channel over it?

I'd look at something like this. You can roll the gain back and use it like a traditional overdrive boost, or you can roll everything up and have a thick uncompressed fuzzy distortion. (Yea, I know, not exactly fuzz, but it's got that quality)
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
I couldn't remember which band he did guitar for...

Their's sounds to me like tube amp distortion. It's not particularly tight or cutting, but it is high gain and thick.

Sounds british voiced, but not as loose as Orange... Could be a Marshall of some kind (boosted) or a Laney.

Beezerk, you're looking for an appropriate pedal for that sound? Are you running a tube amp?
I would suggest a Boss FZ-2 but I'm trying to buy all of them myself. It's Electric Wizard in a box.

Big Muff is an obvious one. Swollen Pickle is a good choice.

I know Buzz Osborne from the Melvins uses a Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive for his guitar tone. I thought that was pretty cool.
Quote by Quinlan
Does Jimmy Bower do guitar in Crowbar? Because I've been under the impression that their older stuff was done with Mesas... Leastways, I know early Down stuff was Mesa 50 Cals on Pepper Keenan's end, I've seen some live footage of Crowbar with Randall stuff too...

Personally, that sounds like WAY too much footswitching for me... TS, do you plan on using amp distortion at all? From what I understand, 6505s have a shitload of gain on the lead channel already... Surely you wouldn't run that pedal's lead channel over it?

I'd look at something like this. You can roll the gain back and use it like a traditional overdrive boost, or you can roll everything up and have a thick uncompressed fuzzy distortion. (Yea, I know, not exactly fuzz, but it's got that quality)

Yeah the lead channel on the peavey will my my main distorted sound. If you think about it the foot switching shouldn't be much of a problem. As the fuzz is in the FX loop it'll get turned on when I switch to the lead channel on the Radial. Your right, a 6505 has way too much gain to be playing with square waves.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Quote by Quinlan

Beezerk, you're looking for an appropriate pedal for that sound? Are you running a tube amp?

Just curious mate as there isn't really much information about his gear on the net. I saw EHG last year, he was using a Viper with EMG's IIRC but I was massively fooked at the gig lol
I'm using ss at the moment but I'm on the lookout for a tube amp which isn't going to blow my neighbours head off but still has the balls for metal but that's another story
I'm currently using an EHX Big Muff (wicker), Digitech Death Metal (not bad but not great) however I'm picking up an MXR Fullbore Metal from the Post Office later so I'm goping to have fun with that tonight.
Got to be truthful though, if I could get anything close to his sound I'd be one happy bunny but for now I'll stick with my poor mans version

PS I saw Crowbar a couple of years ago, Kirks eyes were almost closed shut he was that stoned doesn't he use a Viper with EMG's as well? Another one with a superb sludge tone.
Quote by Beezerk
PS I saw Crowbar a couple of years ago, Kirks eyes were almost closed shut he was that stoned doesn't he use a Viper with EMG's as well? Another one with a superb sludge tone.

He used an ESP (Viper and EC) both times when I saw Down live. But they had Orange Thunderverbs set up for that and those get really pricey.... Honestly, I feel like anything british and tube would be a good start. That'd get a good base tone and then you can supplement it with an equally thick and burly pedal.

Quote by iwannabesedated
I would suggest a Boss FZ-2 but I'm trying to buy all of them myself. It's Electric Wizard in a box.

Also, as I understand it, some of Electric Wizard's later sounds were conjured with a Laney AOR. But the FZ-2 sounds pretty raunchy. I'd definitely back the 8 knob AOR as a good stoner/doom/sludge amp.

Quote by iwannabesedated
I know Buzz Osborne from the Melvins uses a Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive for his guitar tone. I thought that was pretty cool.

I actually used a Boss ODB-3 for a while with my tube amp, and it sounded pretty cool from what I remember. I only sold it off because I got a new amp. They're worth a shot in front of a tube amp if you can find one cheap. Very high gain for a fuzz. Distortion-like, but very messy.
Soilent Green is where it's at in my house at the minute, ungodly heavy.

Anyway I tried my MXR Fullbore this afternoon, Dean FBD Tribute > Fullbore > 75W Vypyr (not the best amp obviously) sounded beastly on the 6505 green amp. Could have been sludge tone, could have been an evil thrash if you get what I mean.

PS. Listened to Acid Bath - Paegan Terrorism Acts earlier, absolutely sublime and a must have for any stoner/sludge/southern sludge fan, heavy as a mo fo but with moments of musical genius and they have a guitar tone to whip your nuts off for. It's one of my "go to" albums.