Disclaimer: If you want to talk about TKD and Shotokan make your own thread. This thread applies only to continuous, full contact martial arts. This includes MT/kickboxing (including "American rules" and Sanda naturally), Kyokoshin and the like, MMA and good old fashioned Pugilism.

So Pit Fighters, whats your modus operand? Any favorite combos etc?

I come from a Muay Thai background but I'm very much a boxer type. I started off as a pressure fighter, using aggression along my head movement, hand speed and (decent) power along with a dedicated leg and body attack to get to my opponents. After I decided that I didnt have the chin to be so aggressive I developed into a counter striker along the likes of Souwer and Petrosyan. Fortunately I also discovered that I have mongoose reflexes and a 75inch reach (I'm 5'11-6') and as I'm much better now and I don't have to be so aggressive to land my bombs, I can pick my spots and my power still gets to people.

Here are some of my favoured combos and counters

straight right-left hook to the body-low kick

Shoulder roll-right uppercut to the body-right cross

Swat aside the teep (thats a lead leg push kick) to get them to turn away from you- LIVER KICK with the right leg

Opponent jabs to the body-roll your weight over your rear leg and block with your elbow- uppercut-left hook

• the uppercut given its trajectory is especially effective against shorter opponents as well as ones who change levels a lot such as wrestlers. A proper body jab presupposes a level change so thats where the uppercut comes in, to scare them into lifting their heads into the left hook. This presupposes that your opponent has a fundamentally sound jab to the body as they will have their head out of the way of the upper cut. However if they body jab like a lot of MMA guys do, with their head in the air and in the centre line the uppercut will land flush. Regardless of the outcome the left hook is the money punch in this as is the ending strike in *read* EVERY SINGLE combo.

I'm dabbling in MMA and I love the challenge small gloves provides. I find that by taking a more boxing stance and putting my head off centre ala Burley, Hopkins, Lois, McCallum and the other old school stylists that my defence holds up much better. Kicks are harder to throw on the fly but you can still land a perfect Thai kick from a boxing stance just so long as you use proper foot work and step off at a 45* angle.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Last edited by Neon Knight at Apr 12, 2012,
I think there's an ONLY MMA Thread for this sort of stuff. I remember someone showed me UFC once. That shit was gross...never again.

EDIT: Yeah, on the first page as well

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=636821
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

There's an only MMA thread but I don't mind this thread either

I used to do Muay Thai but now I'm doing MMA. My stance is southpaw.
Your disclaimer is quite vague. I studied Shotokan and Aikido. I would consider Aiki to be full contact, as most techniques literally require contact to be initiated.

A personal favorite maneuver of mine from Aiki is something you learn early on. Assume the opponent is coming on with their left hand, and you are in a left position. Outside block with right hand, grabbing their wrist while pushing it away. Wrap over with your left hand, grab the top of your right hand, close your shoulder and drop down. You can apply pressure to the shoulder or elbow, dislocating or breaking them.

I was never good with terminology, so you have my apologies for the long description

Edit2: I had to Google "Modus operandi" lol.

I've been taught mostly in combat not involving weapons. However, I took a few bo staff classes and really enjoyed it. I'd like to get back into that some day.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Last edited by eGraham at Apr 12, 2012,
Quote by Neon Knight

So Pit Fighters, whats your modus operand? Any favorite combos etc?

I throw things, including but not limited to: rocks, bottles, some sand (always aim for the eyes).

Then I run away victoriously.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I find a larger friend and then run like hell.
Hey look, a stoner/doom album.

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

E-father of TheSPillow/Sam
E-brothers with Entity0009
I pull out my knife and swing it towards their person with the intent to cause harm.

Steel > Flesh

In the unlikely event that I am without a sharp implement, I yell WHAT THE HELL IS THAT and point to somewhere behind him. You can't NOT look. Then I decide whether I can outrun them. If so, try and hit the person in the head with your forearm at around an inch and a half from the tip of your elbow as hard as you can and then run like shit.
This thread isnt an MMA thread, nor is it about any combat sport in particular, its about the execution of martial technique in the ring, not whos the lineal UFC champion (Overeem).

As for Akido, I give it more credit than most as its excellent for security and law enforcement but its not a sport. This thread is about competitive sports where full resistance is applied by a non complying opponent.
I am not sure what to think of Aikidio because most of the things you see on youtube and presentations are just show off with a lot of self-throwing and acting.
Also I do not like Karate Kata's. What's the point of it?

Trained MMA/Kickboxing for a certain period. Though I liked training it, I figured it's something you can figure out by yourself. Sure the striking basics you need to get from a coach, but later it's just practice,practice and practice. Other martial arts (in example Judo,Sambo) just require you have a coach at all times. It's just impossible to learn that king of things on your own or by watching videos.
Don't try to dispute my claim, I am not looking to argue the degree of how much what I said is true.
Quote by Neon Knight
This thread isnt an MMA thread, nor is it about any combat sport in particular, its about the execution of martial technique in the ring, not whos the lineal UFC champion (Overeem).

As for Akido, I give it more credit than most as its excellent for security and law enforcement but its not a sport. This thread is about competitive sports where full resistance is applied by a non complying opponent.

Ah, so you were going for more of a sporting angle. That's cool, but I didn't know that you meant that specifically. Thanks for clarifying.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

I do boxing although i havent done it for long i really enjoy it and my fitness has sky rocketed .
Learned some Brazilian Jui Jitsu through the military.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Languor
I am not sure what to think of Aikidio because most of the things you see on youtube and presentations are just show off with a lot of self-throwing and acting.

Trained MMA/Kickboxing for a certain period. Though I liked training it, I figured it's something you can figure out by yourself. Sure the striking basics you need to get from a coach, but later it's just practice,practice and practice. Other martial arts (in example Judo,Sambo) just require you have a coach at all times. It's just impossible to learn that king of things on your own or by watching videos.
Don't try to dispute my claim, I am not looking to argue the degree of how much what I said is true.

They're a demonstration of technique and memory, although I agree with you. In my style we do the first six from shotokan and then the ones after are specific to my school and are based around actual sparring because shotokan doesn't seem to do a lot of that these days, at least where I live anyway.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
Quote by Languor

You cant figure it out by yourself by any stretch of the imagination. Theres so much more to technique than throwing a punch with proper leverage and form. The strategy and theory of striking sports, especially boxing far exceeds the theory for any other sport. Things such as creative use of punches (for things other than damage or set ups) and the ability to stand right in front of your opponent and not get touched is an incredible thing once you wrap your head around it.
Quote by JustRooster
Learned some Brazilian Jui Jitsu through the military.

I wonder if Jewchords is learning Jew Jitsu.

Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Neon Knight
You cant figure it out by yourself by any stretch of the imagination.

Somebody did. No one was born knowing this stuff...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
When I was still actively doing Shotokan, I did enjoy the katas. Watching students who really excelled in the art doing their kata was special, because they enjoyed it and had a passion for it. It may not be for everyone, but I think it's an artful way to express martial arts.

And as Neon Knight said, it delves into more creative and often unusual uses for motion. For example, one kata requires reaching between a person's legs, grabbing the seem on the back of their pants, and ripping forward to cause them to fall. It sounds silly (and, admittedly is a bit) but it's interesting to learn what inspired the movements.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by eGraham
When I was still actively doing Shotokan, I did enjoy the katas. Watching students who really excelled in the art doing their kata was special, because they enjoyed it and had a passion for it. It may not be for everyone, but I think it's an artful way to express martial arts.

And as Neon Knight said, it delves into more creative and often unusual uses for motion. For example, one kata requires reaching between a person's legs, grabbing the seem on the back of their pants, and ripping forward to cause them to fall. It sounds silly (and, admittedly is a bit) but it's interesting to learn what inspired the movements.

Heian Godan? My sensei always explained that part of the kata as ripping a guys bollocks off.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
Quote by ErikLensherr
I wonder if Jewchords is learning Jew Jitsu.

No he'd probably be learning Krav Maga

Quote by 剣 斧 血
Heian Godan? My sensei always explained that part of the kata as ripping a guys bollocks off.

Heh, it may have been that. Definitely sounds right! It's been years since I took any classes, and I was never good with names.

If I remember correctly, the ripping off of balls may have been a different kata. Perhaps they were interpreted differently, though. I can't say. Brings back memories though
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by Arby911
Somebody did. No one was born knowing this stuff...

Thousands of years of competitive boxing and muay thai is hardly learning by yourself. Its through practice and many, many black eyes that the techniques were developed. For example it only takes a few clean straight right hand counters to make you realize "hey, maybe I shouldn't throw so many looping punches" or "I should put my hands up".