So yesterday I asked if you could recommend me a guitar to buy, but I realised that the description I gave wasn't helpful at all. Please can you recommend me guitar as I have included a much better description. (Also it needs to be electric)

Budget: Up to £230. (This must include a case as well).

Genres I Play I mainly play Metal although I would like a good clean sound as well.

Style and Colour I'm not really fussed when it comes to colour, however I don't want Blue or "Rock'n'Roll Red". I want a guitar that's equally as easy to play sitting than it is standing, so I don't want a Flying V or any crazy Axe shapes.

What I Want It To Play Like I want a relatively thin neck that's quick and easy to play. Again, although I play metal, I'd like a good sounding clean sound.

Extras Preferably I'd want a Floyd Rose, however any Locking Nut would do. I'm definitely looking for a double bridge whammy thing.

That's pretty much it. Oh, I've already got an amp so I'm not worried about that.

Finally, I DON'T WANT A FENDER.
That is all.
For 230...for something of that quality I don't know. Maybe a used Ibanez RG?
Quote by AJScott

if no fender.... +1
Fender Contemporary Stratocaster, MIJ, SSS pups, white, maple neck
ESP M-100FM, dark red, flamed maple
Crate V33 212 Tube Combo (O'l reliable)

And various effects used for inter-dimensional space travel
Quote by AJScott

These 2 all in one sentence?
Quote by liampje

Never actually played one, just know they're fairly cheap?
Quote by liampje

I agreed with that. RGs from the 90s were AND still are awesome. and they are still under valued in the used market.
Quote by liampje

That was two separate sentences.. And I suggest you save up a little more and buy a used jackson. I bought a performer series Kelly for 200, with case, the guy wanted 300.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-mh-50-electric-guitar-with-tremolo/516688000001317

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/kramer-striker-211-electric-guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/charvel-desolation-skatecaster-3-electric-guitar

Guess the budget kind of limits your choices. Although is seems like a bit of money they will mostly be low end guitars. You should try to play a ESP and compare it to an Ibanez. I don't care for Ibanez much. This new line of Charvels looks interesting the flat grey is cool. I like PRS.
The original poster said 230 British pounds. That is about US$365. If you can push up a little to about 250 pounds, you can get a decent guitar.
oh, you did say that it has to include a case.....that is tough...you are basically looking at low end guitars no matter how you slice it. I agree that you should look for a used one. They are settled and broken in, and will do much better. Shop for a used LTD EC model, or Ibanez RG.
I'll probably save for a decent second hand Jackson Dinky? Not sure though. I have a zip up padded case but I'd much prefer a hard case.
Quote by BVBKilljoy
So yesterday I asked if you could recommend me a guitar to buy, but I realised that the description I gave wasn't helpful at all. Please can you recommend me guitar as I have included a much better description. (Also it needs to be electric)

Budget: Up to £230. (This must include a case as well).

Genres I Play I mainly play Metal although I would like a good clean sound as well.

Style and Colour I'm not really fussed when it comes to colour, however I don't want Blue or "Rock'n'Roll Red". I want a guitar that's equally as easy to play sitting than it is standing, so I don't want a Flying V or any crazy Axe shapes.

What I Want It To Play Like I want a relatively thin neck that's quick and easy to play. Again, although I play metal, I'd like a good sounding clean sound.

Extras Preferably I'd want a Floyd Rose, however any Locking Nut would do. I'm definitely looking for a double bridge whammy thing.

That's pretty much it. Oh, I've already got an amp so I'm not worried about that.

Finally, I DON'T WANT A FENDER.
That is all.

Used Jackson DXMG.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
When you grow up you will want a Fender.
For your shopping price your choices arent going to be much (thats actually good)

Check Ebay for used LTD or Ibanez guitars.

***just noticed this post--pretty much what I said****

QUOTE=sonnyrocker]oh, you did say that it has to include a case.....that is tough...you are basically looking at low end guitars no matter how you slice it. I agree that you should look for a used one. They are settled and broken in, and will do much better. Shop for a used LTD EC model, or Ibanez RG.
Last edited by Axe Murderer at Apr 12, 2012,
Don't bother with a floyd. It decreases sustain,makes bending two strings a no-no and is a general pain in the arse. You'd be better focusing on technique rather than doing whammy tricks which are nearly impossible to use tunefully anyway. Metal is more than do-able without a floyd/double locking whammy. You'd get a better guitar for the same money if you opted out of a floyd rose. I'm not saying floyd roses are shit by the way,my main guitar has a floyd. All I've said can be disregarded if you have a decent,hardtail guitar as well
]
Avoid the Floyd. Cheap guitars with Floyds will make you tear your hair out.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I play my Epiphone Les Paul Special II. Bought it for about $180 USD and have had compliments such as "If you change the tune heads on that, you might as well write 'Gibson' on the headstock". I like the sound, but it produces a slight buzz and I'm trying to find out if it's actually the pickups or the cables. I think it's the latter. Mine has been through some abuse and the tone knob tends to make a little noise if it's on 9. I usually leave it on 10 and it's fine.

What I found extremely odd on this guitar, though, was the neck. On the one I played in Guitar Center, when I was deciding on what to buy, the neck was rather thick. But when the salesman brought me one to buy, the neck was thin. I asked about it and he said that some of them have thick necks and some have thin. I thought that that was the most perplexing thing, but I was satisfied with the thin neck and left it as is.

Just a thought.
Quote by Random3
Ignore this.

Haters sharing their opinion is of no use to anyone in a serious thread.

And your post was so much more helpful.

I'd look around for a beater rg as well. You could prolly find a well used 550/560/570, if not try for a 470 and replace the bridge posts. I got one(470) for $150 cdn and its a fantastic sounding and playing guitar.
Quote by gateway01
I play my Epiphone Les Paul Special II. Bought it for about $180 USD and have had compliments such as "If you change the tune heads on that, you might as well write 'Gibson' on the headstock". I like the sound, but it produces a slight buzz and I'm trying to find out if it's actually the pickups or the cables. I think it's the latter. Mine has been through some abuse and the tone knob tends to make a little noise if it's on 9. I usually leave it on 10 and it's fine.

What I found extremely odd on this guitar, though, was the neck. On the one I played in Guitar Center, when I was deciding on what to buy, the neck was rather thick. But when the salesman brought me one to buy, the neck was thin. I asked about it and he said that some of them have thick necks and some have thin. I thought that that was the most perplexing thing, but I was satisfied with the thin neck and left it as is.

Just a thought.

This is redundant because Special II's are shit. Just saying. Whoever told you that hasn't touched a Gibson in their lives.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I used to own an ibanez s470. Was about £450 new so maybe you could get a second hand one. It will fit your requrements quite well. The zr bridge was awsome, never lost tuning and you have the option of being able to raise the trem arm or not with a stop bar fitted in the back. Ibanez infinity pups which as far as stock pups go aint all that bad.
Quote by Random3
Ignore this.

Haters sharing their opinion is of no use to anyone in a serious thread.

You want an opinion?
I own an ibanez rg350m, edge III crappy bridge.
Crappy pickups, with noise.
And try holding a note for 5 seconds past the 12th fret, even with distortion you will fail.
Tbh thats all your fault liam.
Learn to setup and wire before you bitch about a poorly setup badly wired guitar.
The inf pickups are not noisy, although they are trash.
I just held a high d on the b string for 10+ seconds, no vibrato, no distortion, no amp ffs.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Tbh thats all your fault liam.
Learn to setup and wire before you bitch about a poorly setup badly wired guitar.
The inf pickups are not noisy, although they are trash.
I just held a high d on the b string for 10+ seconds, no vibrato, no distortion, no amp ffs.

It's not my fault.
I haven't done anything with the guitar.
It's not my fault ibanez poorly setup and badly wired my guitar.
Get my point ffs?
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
I seriously hope youre trolling.

I seriously hope you just see the point.
If OP is not good at wiring setting up a guitar, the guitar will still be over 230 because he has to get it set up.
Dude, EVERY GUITAR needs a setup when you get it. Even Gibsons. Granted, you may luck out and get an ideally setup one, but it's still gonna muck up when you change the strings, even if the gauge is the same.
Quote by Casull454
Dude, EVERY GUITAR needs a setup when you get it. Even Gibsons. Granted, you may luck out and get an ideally setup one, but it's still gonna muck up when you change the strings, even if the gauge is the same.

So I should let my guitar get set up?
But I doubt it will still be a good guitar, I mean the pickups are still noisy as hell.
Definitely, it will feel and perform better! Also, a technician could give you advice about pickups. I tested out 350 at the store a bit acoustically, so I wouldn't know much about them, but I guess you could always swap em for better ones, and for little money you could get a great guitar out of it.
Quote by Casull454
Definitely, it will feel and perform better! Also, a technician could give you advice about pickups. I tested out 350 at the store a bit acoustically, so I wouldn't know much about them, but I guess you could always swap em for better ones, and for little money you could get a great guitar out of it.

But isn't the edge III really a piece of crap?
Or are those just words of the ones who don't get their guitar set up?
Quote by liampje

Not universally, I've heard a lot of people, who have exactly the same guitar as you, claim that edge III works fine for them. Thing is, every system or a guitar has a lemon that comes off the production line from time to time, it's just that the cheaper ones have a larger percentage of them, ergo larger the chance you'll end up finding one.
Quote by liampje

Yes it is shit. Very soft metal. Mines setup quite well, but the knife edges or posts are gone already and it needs a dip after a pull and vice versa. My best friends is the exact same and its been used alot less. Best bet is to block it.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Yes it is shit. Very soft metal. Mines setup quite well, but the knife edges or posts are gone already and it needs a dip after a pull and vice versa. My best friends is the exact same and its been used alot less. Best bet is to block it.

Wouldn't the best bet be replacing it?
^^True. Some of my friends say special IIs are good. My friends are idiots sometimes. PRS is the best. Go see if someone in your family can hook you up with old gear or something. Like my dad has a Lectrolab amp from like 60's. Good luck get some money take out a loan if you have to.
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721
^^True. Some of my friends say special IIs are good. My friends are idiots sometimes. PRS is the best. Go see if someone in your family can hook you up with old gear or something. Like my dad has a Lectrolab amp from like 60's. Good luck get some money take out a loan if you have to.

Lol, I just quit my job and I'm the only musician in my whole family.