Got this as part of a trade deal last week. With two NGDs so close together, it's taken awhile to get to this one for a proper beating. Only recently have I stepped back into the Trem world. Gotta say I'm loving it!! It's good to have options.

From PRS:
"The Signature/408 electronics offer eight sounds via four pickup coils thanks to a simple but versatile switching system featuring mini toggle switches that provide numerous combinations of humbucking and (no volume loss!) singlecoil tones."

Possible Pickup Switching Combinations:
Neck humbucker
Neck and bridge humbuckers
Bridge humbucker
Neck singlecoil
Neck and bridge singlecoils (hum canceling)
Bridge singlecoil
Neck singlecoil with bridge humbucker
Neck humbucker with bridge singlecoil

Initially I'd thought it might be tricky to have the switches where I want them, but in reality it quickly became second nature. I think in the long run I will like the switch over a push/pull tone pot - hard to say. The chime I get when I switch over to the single coils is so crystal clear clean. Sounds great on the clean side of my Shiva amp. Between the PRS Trem and the Locking Tuners this thing is built to stay in tune. I can reef on the trem for ages without having to worry about it. The only thing I don't really care for is how dark the back is; that dark finish is covering up what looks to be some nice wood. Oh well, that's how the Black Gold Wraparound finish is stained.

My favortie aspect is how they designed these new pickups. Normally when you split a humbucker to a single coil you get a drop in volume. They wired the 408 pickups so that when you switch over to single coil, additional wire wrappings on the magnet engage to eliminate (mostly) any change in volume. In a live setting you'd notice no volume difference, but at home I can hear a VERY slight difference. I don't currently own a true single coil guitar so it's hard for me to give a full on single coil comparison.

As is the norm with PRS the fret work is impeccable and the Pattern carved neck feels right at home since I'm a big fan of their Wide Fat neck profile. This model has binding on the neck, which I know many don't want to see on a PRS, but I think it works well when matched up with the Black Gold finish. Only 200 of these were made for consumption in the US and it is easily one of the fastest selling new models that has ever been released from PRS. Oh yeah, the inside of the case looks like it was molded to the guitar. That thing doesn't move at all once it's in there, combine that with the extra padding they adding and you have a tank with a handle on it.

And now for some pics. Enjoy!

Nice. HNGD. You're taking the piss a bit with all these new guitars lately. I'm starting to think you're just google-ing "PRS Custom" and posting whatever pics you like the look of
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Nice. HNGD. You're taking the piss a bit with all these new guitars lately. I'm starting to think you're just google-ing "PRS Custom" and posting whatever pics you like the look of

Shhhhh - Thankfully whoever owns all of these guitars has the same exact couch I do, otherwise everybody would have me figured out.

Oh god damn!
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Wow. I love how the pickups and the pickups rings are slightly rounded off. It gives a certain uniqueness. HNGD!
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
My PRS SE has all of the same pickup combonations, but I changed to pickups.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Last edited by Dr Sixstring at Apr 12, 2012,
Very pretty-ful. HNGD!!
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Quote by Dr Sixstring
My PRS SE has all of the same pickup combonations, but I changed to pickups.

Did you also install (2) Push/Pull Tone Pots?
HNGD!
Minitoggle are so cute. They look like baby toggle switch.
On a more serious note, i like them better then push pull because when you pull a poty, it always turn it a little bit, and changes te sound. Seperates switch obisously takes more room on the guiter, but at least this issue is solved..
And the pickups.. at first, I thought they looked interesting, but after seeing them more cloesly, I thibk thy just look weird. I prefer the PRS new suqarecoil pickups. The crazy pickup ting shape is just kinda freaking me out...
Last edited by n1ckn1ce at Apr 12, 2012,

And i loved my Gibson so much.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Your guitars are pure sex. Any chance of a group shot one day?
Happy kinda ngd! (i saw it in prs thread already.
That looks stunning! HNGD!
Schecter C-1 Custom
Ibanez Iceman ICT700
Ibanez Deluxe 59'er model
Peavey Vypyr 30
Boss SD-2 Dual Overdrive pedal
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Your guitars are pure sex. Any chance of a group shot one day?
Happy kinda ngd! (i saw it in prs thread already.

I will work on it. I had to wait until I'd played it enough to write up a review, hence the delay.
beautiful guitar!

sorry for the newbie question but.... does every new PRS owner have a sofa convenient to position their PRS on, or do PRS take those?!
Quote by UnseenBucket
beautiful guitar!

sorry for the newbie question but.... does every new PRS owner have a sofa convenient to position their PRS on, or do PRS take those?!

Each PRS ships along with a couch. Thankfully there is no additional charge.
^Best guitar company ever. Can't wait for the SE line of couch.
Last edited by n1ckn1ce at Apr 12, 2012,
hikingdude, I swear, I will kill you and take all of your guitars...

I'm kidding of course

Its just not fair!!!
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Got it in a trade? What did you trade, a kidney?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
HNGD! Very nice, but seriously do you have enough PRS's? I swear thats all I see from you, do you even own any other kind of guitars?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
I traded back the PRS Studio I got a couple of months ago. I had to kick in some money of course. And yes, I have a Univox and a Martin. How many PRS guitars do you guys think I own?
Quote by thehikingdude

From PRS:
"The Signature/408 electronics offer eight sounds via four pickup coils thanks to a simple but versatile switching system featuring mini toggle switches that provide numerous combinations of humbucking and (no volume loss!) singlecoil tones."

Possible Pickup Switching Combinations:
Neck humbucker
Neck and bridge humbuckers
Bridge humbucker
Neck singlecoil
Neck and bridge singlecoils (hum canceling)
Bridge singlecoil
Neck singlecoil with bridge humbucker
Neck humbucker with bridge singlecoil

ok, now i'm starting to understand just why i liked that guitar so much.

it does everything i wish my 513 did.

T H A N K Y O U for posting!!!!!!!
Quote by gregs1020
ok, now i'm starting to understand just why i liked that guitar so much.

it does everything i wish my 513 did.

T H A N K Y O U for posting!!!!!!!

And thanks to you.

What people don't know is that YOU are the reason I shared this. So any complaints should be sent to YOU.
Nah, it's ok. I'm used to it. The best one so far is the guy that wants me, my house and my guitars to all burn. You'd think that he'd at least want to pawn my guitars. He could get at least $250. And then come back and piss on my grave.

Back to guitars! What don't you like about the 513? I've never played one.
Last edited by thehikingdude at Apr 12, 2012,
Quote by thehikingdude
What don't you like about the 513? I've never played one.

it did everything good but nothing great?

the tone snob in me kept wanting something it couldn't give?

dunno, it just didn't do it for me.

when i played the sig ltd, it felt great and sounded great. i can't see ever wanting to change the pups in it. with your shiva, it probably screams.
Wow, very nice guitar HNGD, and I hope you enjoy it. I love those see through finishes, normally I prefer the transparent grey but those brown tones are beautiful
Quote by gregs1020
it did everything good but nothing great?

the tone snob in me kept wanting something it couldn't give?

dunno, it just didn't do it for me.

when i played the sig ltd, it felt great and sounded great. i can't see ever wanting to change the pups in it. with your shiva, it probably screams.

Drop on by and you can give it a whirl. I just got done playing, had to keep the volume a touch low. Why do these kids need sleep anyway? Seriously though, anytime you get this way the first 5 beers are on me. Please leave the big belt buckle at home.

On a side note, this is going to be it for awhile. Very likely a long while. I'm more likely to check out amps at this point. No idea what though. It's taken me 4 years to work up to the Shiva, but damn it's heavy!!
Last edited by thehikingdude at Apr 13, 2012,
i remember seeing these pics in another thread. wtf?

anyway that guitar is one of the most gorgeous looking guitars I've ever seen. May I ask what you do for a living?
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
Quote by drying out
i remember seeing these pics in another thread. wtf?

anyway that guitar is one of the most gorgeous looking guitars I've ever seen. May I ask what you do for a living?

I work from home in the information security space. I had posted a couple of teaser pics in the PRS thread. You likely saw them there.
Quote by thehikingdude
Each PRS ships along with a couch. Thankfully there is no additional charge.

hahahaha, knew it!!
Quote by thehikingdude
Drop on by and you can give it a whirl. I just got done playing, had to keep the volume a touch low. Why do these kids need sleep anyway? Seriously though, anytime you get this way the first 5 beers are on me. Please leave the big belt buckle at home.

On a side note, this is going to be it for awhile. Very likely a long while. I'm more likely to check out amps at this point. No idea what though. It's taken me 4 years to work up to the Shiva, but damn it's heavy!!

if i ever make up up to the PDX area, i'd gladly hang out and have a jam session!