I've noticed that when I play guitar my thumb is pretty much consistently creeping over the top of the neck.
I don't THINK it hinders my playing and its position changes when I'm doing certain things such as barre chords obviously - where it goes down to the middle of the neck instead. But whenever I do most things, it's above the neck.

Is this a problem? I keep hearing it should be near the top of the neck but not 'over it.'
It depends, the lower your thumb is on the neck the more able you are to stretch and reach the lower frets.

If, when you need to do those things, your thumb is in the appropriate place then it's fine.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
for me i find that it's all about context. a lot of really good players have their thumbs over the top of the guitar, jimi hendrix did this. a lot of other really good blues guys do it.

it's generally frowned upon. it can hinder your barre chords and can get in the way of other things. it would be ideal to keep your thumb behind the neck, but sometimes it can be useful in the right situation.
keep writing. keep dreaming.

keep the notes coming...

ibanez ftw
For me when I play most open chords such as the g major, e major etc... My thumb creeps over the neck too.

However when I play barre chords my thumb is behind on the back of the neck. Playing barre chords with your thumb over the neck is very difficult hence why I've had to adapt and change position.
For 'Ultimate Guitar' Members: I wrote an ebook called "The Ultimate Guide To Playing The Guitar".

If you'd like a FREE copy of it, you can do so by Clicking Here
There are people that play with their feet; it's all about what feels right for you.
I used to have a bad habit of having the thumb over the neck for everything i played which hindedred my ability on playing scales and more fluidly in some aspets, I slowly trained myself to put my thumb near the back just by practicing skills and chords, although i still use thumb near top for certain things i play. So thumb over
the neck isn't bad for everything but i wouldn't use it for everything as the thumb on the back can give you more control.
Quote by SeriousTension
I've noticed that when I play guitar my thumb is pretty much consistently creeping over the top of the neck.
I don't THINK it hinders my playing and its position changes when I'm doing certain things such as barre chords obviously - where it goes down to the middle of the neck instead. But whenever I do most things, it's above the neck.

Is this a problem? I keep hearing it should be near the top of the neck but not 'over it.'

Its not a problem. It's a very common thing which a lot of guitarists do when not playing stuff like barre chords. It can also be used to mute the low E when you don't want it. Here are some examples of guitarists doing so..

BB King:
http://adf.ly/7O65J

Joe Satriani:
http://adf.ly/7O67S

Two very different styled guitarists, both have their thumbs creeping over the neck. Also, some people have monstrous hands so it's just natural for the thumb to wrap round. A friend of mine has huge hands and plays a D minor chord (like this: http://adf.ly/7O6Jt) and still has room to wrap his thumb right round almost touching the tips of his fingers. It all depends on what feels right.
Last edited by UnseenBucket at Apr 13, 2012,