Buy new guitar
9 75%
Sell/trade current guitars
5 42%
Stop whining!
1 8%
Voters: 12.
Hey all

So I'm getting paid soon and I am going to invest some of it on guitars. I want a guitar with active pickups as all my current ones are passive-equipped and I'm craving that Andy James/Rusty Cooley/Jeff Loomis etc sound, and the tremolo NEEDS an upgrade on my RG350 (Edge III trem, bloody awful). Having said that, I hardly ever use tremolos anymore so I'm wondering if there's really any point..

Now what I can't decide is whether to-

a) buy a set of actives and have them installed on my Ibanez RGR321, and upgrade the trem on my RG350 (total cost- around £350-400)

OR

b) buy a new, higher-end fixed bridge guitar with actives already installed (cost- £500+)

Budget would probably be around £600/$1000 if buying a new guitar. I REALLY like the look of the Agile Septor Elite (7 string model, 6 string is pretty much the same too) as it meets all my needs-
http://www.rondomusic.com/SEPTORelite725ebdncdot.html

Advice and suggestions?
I'd probably get a new guitar and sell the others. Its a lot more cost effective and you'll get a guitar that suits your needs better in the end.

Because you're from Wales, buying anything from Rondomusic is pointless because the shipping price makes it a bum deal.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 12, 2012,
Don't buy an agile if you're outside of the US. They're too risky.

I'd suggest trying an LTD MH-350NT. They're not red, but they ARE quite nice. The Floyd Rose version comes in trans red, but obviously you don't want a floyd.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I definitely think you should buy a new guitar; a higher quality guitar will get you a better overall feel as well as the specs you want. There is much more to a guitar than just the spec sheet.

However, one caveat: don't get an Agile, you're in the UK. Once you've paid the import charges, VAT and shipping costs they lose basically all their value for money. Find something in your price range that you can get from the UK and see what people think of that. Something like a Schecter or LTD would almost certainly be better for you.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I'd probably get a new guitar and sell the others. Its a lot more cost effective and you'll get a guitar that suits your needs better in the end.

Because you're from Wales, buying anything from Rondomusic is pointless because the shipping price makes it a bum deal.
Came here to suggest this.

Sell enough to get you a good high end one.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
I'm incredibly attracted to LTD lately, the MH series in particular! I didn't realise the shipping issues with Agile, that's a bummer =/
What i wouldn't advise you get is a Schecter. They are very cheap in the US but in the UK, they're overpriced. I'd also suggest having a look at the Jackson Pro stuff. Like the DK2T or if your budget allows it, the SLSMG Soloist.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What i wouldn't advise you get is a Schecter. They are very cheap in the US but in the UK, they're overpriced. I'd also suggest having a look at the Jackson Pro stuff. Like the DK2T or if your budget allows it, the SLSMG Soloist.

Can't put my finger on it, but there's something I don't like about Schecter. The Jackson Soloist series definitely interest me, thanks!
Quote by Banjocal

Sell enough to get you a good high end one.

That's what I've been doing for my DC800! So far, I've amassed $1,500 in the past two/three weeks, so I feel proud.

OT: I say sell some to get a better one.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Buy a new one. IMO.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer