Page 1 of 3
At my Uni (I'm American) I have to take a U.S. History class from colinization to 1877 and we reached the U.S. Civil War. During our lecture, I began to wonder how the war tought in other countries. Is the war tought as a true civil war, or is it tought as a war between two countries. (United States vs. Confederate States)

Just a bit curious.
GO RAVENS!

Quote by Ssargentslayer
Waaaait....

Did you just say you can't rape?

2012 NFL Thread Mock Draft Champion
Yes.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Most civil wars are a result of separatist movements fueled by underlying tensions and they are almost always taught as civil wars regardless.
In actual answer: we weren't taught it because it's not important.

Quote by Trowzaa

This.
But I think TS is referring to Uni courses, which I assume varies by individual institutions/lecturers, regardless of country.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Apr 12, 2012,
Quote by Trowzaa

Yea, the secession of the southern states had no impact on the nation. Screw them all! Go back to your Confederate Dark Ages, South Carolina!
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
It's taught as a war between the states here. However, the us civil war was not just all about slavery like some teachers make it out to be. It started over civil rights and taxes.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by eGraham
Yea, the secession of the southern states had no impact on the nation. Screw them all! Go back to your Confederate Dark Ages, South Carolina!

It had zero impact on England.

We get it as a puny little war between two opinions in the USA back in the early 1860's. With a heavily burdened reason ofcourse, but we are also reminded that Great Britain had a more lenient policy towards slavery and it's EARLIER abolishment. In the latter half of the 18th century, if you were a black man setting foot on the British Isles, you were by definition a free man regardless of contract. (that's what Empire Total War taught me )
Quote by Trowzaa

This.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Dirge Humani
None of your sill ancient European wars had an impact on America either, but we still learn about them.

Well, that's your problem

Quote by Trowzaa
It had zero impact on England.

Basically. It may have been worth mentioning had the Confederates managed to get Great Britain to support them, but that mostly failed. Britain wasn't ready to risk war with the US.

CSA thought King Cotton would help them, but it didn't work. Warehouses in Europe had a huge surplus, so they didn't need to get cotton from the CSA. It did lead to a boom in cotton production in India and Egypt though, so I guess that sort of had an impact on Great Britain.

Quote by due 07
But that's wrong.

Not far off the mark though. It didn't really have any major impact. Britain mostly just carried on as usual.
Europe still sucks.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by funkbass369
It's taught as a war between the states here. However, the us civil war was not just all about slavery like some teachers make it out to be. It started over civil rights and taxes.

It was 99.99% about slavery.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by bradulator
Europe still sucks.

At least it isn't the US.

Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by daytripper75
Basically. It may have been worth mentioning had the Confederates managed to get Great Britain to support them, but that mostly failed. Britain wasn't ready to risk war with the US.

Yeah, 'cuz we'd already kicked their ass twice. Suck it, Limeys.
1. No idea, I don't think we were taught about it. I vaguely remember writing about a submarine used in the civil war, but I don't remember if that was for any civil war thing or just... submarines.

2. I approve of half your sig.

Quote by bradulator
Europe still sucks.

Your face sucks.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Simsimius
At least it isn't the US.

Quote by Kensai
Your face sucks.

Quote by daytripper75
Not really.

Yuh huh.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Yeah, 'cuz we'd already kicked their ass twice. Suck it, Limeys.

We created you. Now you're breaking yourselves.
Quote by Showiddlydiddly
We created you. Now you're breaking yourselves.

well, that's a stretch.
And so begins another America vs Britain argument. I'm out.

Quote by ErikLensherr
Yuh huh.

Ehhhh no. Only if your knowledge of the Civil War is based on high school social studies classes.
Quote by Trowzaa

Considering we're both screwed as nations, it's not really a valid argument anyway.

But America are more screwed. Just saying.
Quote by Trowzaa

you predicted wrong. it smells like a "what was the civil war about? slavery or not slavery?" argument is brewing...
Quote by daytripper75
Ehhhh no. Only if your knowledge of the Civil War is based on high school social studies classes.

I'm not saying everyone in the North was all "woo woo let's stop slavery and make blacks our equals" or anything, but pretty much every issue that led to the conflict related in some way to slavery and the South's paranoia about protecting it.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
The Civil War was NOT about slavery. This is a MYTH perpetrated by the WHITE DEVILS to make themselves look good.
All that matters is that America won. And that's all that matters
I wasn't taught about it until university level (Ich bin Englander), British non-intervention came for a variety of reasons.
1) We didn't want a war with America after the Crimean war which showed some huge weaknesses in the British Army
2) We were more concerned with the Imperial aspirations of France under Napoleon III and Bismark's rise in Germany
3) Anti-slavery feeling was strong in Britain and even pro-confederacy elite talked more of helping to arbitrate a peace agreement then the South outright winning.

We did however build two ships for the Confederacy and we forced to pay compensation to the US and apologise for any damage done.
We weren't taught about it as far as I remember. We went from the independence deal onto that kinda similar deal in France..the deal with the beheading of the king and shit.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by sfaune92
We weren't taught about it as far as I remember. We went from the independence deal onto that kinda similar deal in France..the deal with the beheading of the king and shit.

You mean the French Revolution a rather major event in world history.
Quote by daytripper75

unfortunately this is the extent of knowledge most people have on the civil war. hence his comment.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by funkbass369
unfortunately this is the extent of knowledge most people have on the civil war. hence his comment.

Naw, I had a 300-level class exclusively on the Civil War period last spring and had to write a pain in the ass 15-page research paper about Bleeding Kansas. That violent conflict over expanding slavery into newly acquired territories that immediately preceded the Civil War.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Last edited by ErikLensherr at Apr 12, 2012,
AFAIK, the Confederacy after the Secession wasn't recognized at an actual entity by any other nations, however some regarded it a rogue nation

/wikipedia
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Page 1 of 3