Page 1 of 2
Well for me, this is where. My bench. Thought i'd take some photo's of a build and show the world how i build shit.

Here we go!

Start off with this bad boy here. Vero board slab bought from Tayda Electronics.

Once you know what pedal you wanna build you find/make a layout blablahblah. I'm making a Menatone Red Snapper with IvIark's layout (http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com.au/).

I cut it down to size and file the edges (cosmetic reasons..)

I then mark out for the trace cuts and drill a hole to start the cut.

I then grab a bigger drill bit and cut the traces by hand.

Then i add the jumpers in.

And boom, we have a board ready for components!
mojostompboxes.com
Okay so now that we have the board ready, i add components.

I start with resistors cause they are the shortest in height. I use RN55's cause they are killer.

Then diodes. Used 1n4001's cause i love em.

I then use an IC. This is an old school JRC4558.

Then come the caps. I use Phillips ones for pedals like this for size reasons. Theres also a Silver Mica in there.

Then polarised caps. I LOVE KEMET ONES (the one that looks like a bullet) CAUSE THEY LOOK SIIIICK!

And there we have a populated board!

Now to wire it into an enclosure..
mojostompboxes.com
Last edited by greeny23 at Apr 12, 2012,
Here's one i prepared earlier!

Fill it with the required parts.

Now for wiring. I start normally with the LED and grounding.

Then input and output jacks.

Then more power/switch wiring..

Looks kinda messy at this stage. but dont panic! I then add the circuit in last!

All done!

Works a treat first time
mojostompboxes.com
Last edited by greeny23 at Apr 12, 2012,
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
I have always wondered, why do people stand their diodes up like that?

Looks great dude, HNPD?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Wow, that's pretty slick, I've made pedals from kits, but never from scratch.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
I like how it looks fuzzy on the inside. I like fuzzy.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Stuff like this is just beyond me. I'd love for someone to write a step by step guide to whats actually going on.
I feel like If someone explained the how + why of each component I'd understand it.. but I'm terrible at teaching myself, and learning via the internet. So unless someone teaches me It's something I'll never learn, which is a shame.

Looks wayyyyy to acid trip for me in terms of colour, but kudos to anyone who can just build a pedal.

HNPD.
Blackstar HT-5 mini-stack
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978
If you're just playing at home or with friends, do it dude. Chicks dig stacks! Crank out some Metallica and do a couple of single moms!

I ask many questions.
Quote by ibanezguitars44
I like how it looks fuzzy on the inside. I like fuzzy.

cloth wire has that effect on people.

Quote by Ippon
Put some Poly clear to make it shiny! Also, no goop?

i clear coated it so its fairly shiny in proper light

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I have always wondered, why do people stand their diodes up like that?

Looks great dude, HNPD?

they dont fit flat along some of them unfortunately. If i could, i'd lay all the parts down.
mojostompboxes.com
Nice stuff.
I've recently started building some pedals and looking at some of the pics on your site really helped me with the "physically putting it in the box and making it look nice" part!
Now I just need to get some of that fancy cloth wire

And learn to drill the holes straight
Quote by Into Exile
Stuff like this is just beyond me. I'd love for someone to write a step by step guide to whats actually going on.
I feel like If someone explained the how + why of each component I'd understand it.. but I'm terrible at teaching myself, and learning via the internet. So unless someone teaches me It's something I'll never learn, which is a shame.

Looks wayyyyy to acid trip for me in terms of colour, but kudos to anyone who can just build a pedal.

HNPD.

That's the spirit!

Fascinating thread! It looks like so much fun I think I'm gonna try it soon.
Greeny your work is gorgeous.

I still might have to get you to create a TS for me...
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
very nice! I've always wanted to start making my own pedals and amps, but I don't know where to start.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
pls to clips
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Into Exile

HNPD.

there is actually a number of sites that make it pretty easy to understand the basics.

i would recommend actually building a couple of kit pedals first, without any knowledge of what is going on. then after you're used to handling the components, find out what they do.

for a super simple pedal (like a LPB-1) you are pretty much just going to have:

-power supply section - this connects the battery to the circuit and takes care of grounding.
-signal path - which is pretty much just a few high pass and low pass filters (in the form of RC's) throwing unwanted signal away. the opamp/transistors are part of this, they make the signal bigger. clipping diodes are usually included, this helps sculpt the distortion.
-jacks and knobs - the input and output as well as the knobs for volume and gain and the such.

start with simple stuff, then work your way up to circuits with buffers, etc. hit up youtube. look for DIY sites. there is tons of stuff like this:

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/tstech/tsxtech.htm

mind you, you will have to learn something by yourself somewhere. if you can't learn what a capacitor is, or how to read a block diagram or a circuit schematic then save your time.

edit: awesome thread dude!
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
very nice.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Apr 12, 2012,
This was actually super informative, as I've been looking to get into this kinda thing for a while. But just out of curiosity - parts-wise, what did that pedal in particular cost you? and what does it do? I'm assuming some kind of distortion or overdrive or fuzz?
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
nicely done Tim
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by ma_tt11
This was actually super informative, as I've been looking to get into this kinda thing for a while. But just out of curiosity - parts-wise, what did that pedal in particular cost you? and what does it do? I'm assuming some kind of distortion or overdrive or fuzz?

tim's parts costs won't matter for you because you can't get those parts.

but if you just wanted to start building some pedals most kits come in at about 60-70 dollars.

you can spend less if you bulk source parts yourself.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
this defnitely looks impressive (swirly paint+exotic parts Cloth wire).....if youre a total noob.

you kids have it so lucky these days with the internet and resources like freestompbox/DIYstompe etc where theres knowledgeable people willing to share their infor and all these vero/perf layouts.

unfortunately theres a bit more to it that just grabbing hold of a layout and sticking in "mojo" (seriously i hate that word...whoever uses that to overhype their pedals needs a serious punch to the face).

but if you want to appear to be the a boutique guy i guess you gotta start hobby style.

nice photos thou...would have been good if you had shown how you secure the board to the enclosure. RE the parts standing up not fitting...pfft...you just couldnt find a vero layout designed or were too lazy enought to alter/design your own layout.
Go back to your LP forum ******.

Lots of love was put into that pedal. Quality craftsmanship.

He was putting information out there for others to follow if they so wanted to get into it. There are lot worse things that you could spend your money on.

He was not hiding were he got the schem from, big deal? Not at all.

And when you don't use an over sized board some need to stand up... otherwise it would be a double wide enclosure. Can't fit too many of those on your pedal board.
Last edited by R45VT at Apr 13, 2012,
Quote by R45VT
Go back to your LP forum ******.

Lots of love was put into that pedal. Quality craftsmanship.

im sorry...cutting and preparing veroboard and being able to solder = quality craftsmanship?

so no love for any understanding on how electronics work?
ill say it again...theres more to it than just sticking fancy looking components and having a swirly paintjob.

quality craftsmanship...what a f#cking joke. its a nice build from someones elses layout...ill give him that.
there's nothing wrong with upright parts. especially if you want to use different diodes.

the 1n400x is just a little bit bigger then the small signal diodes that are commonly used.

definitely needs more hot glue.

how does using a layout not equal quality craftsman ship.

that would mean the layout is borked.
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Apr 13, 2012,
Quote by mboogie21

quality craftsmanship...what a f#cking joke. its a nice build from someones elses layout...ill give him that.

He never claimed to have made his own layout? Not sure why are making a big deal. If he would have claimed that he designed it himself then yeah.
If you want to see quality craftsmanship than you should check out Phaez amps. They set the standard.
Quote by AcousticMirror
there's nothing wrong with upright parts. especially if you want to use different diodes.

the 1n400x is just a little bit bigger then the small signal diodes that are commonly used.

definitely needs more hot glue.

how does using a layout not equal quality craftsman ship.

that would mean the layout is borked.

quality craftsmanship...hahah
think of someone like a a woodworker that has a skill in carving a piece of art..
now compare that with buying a $1 piece of veroboard and bending/sticking some components in and soldering.

its primitive electronics at its best...but as i said in the first line of my OP...
Quote by R45VT
If you want to see quality craftsmanship than you should check out Phaez amps. They set the standard.

so basically you are now comparing this "quality craftmanship"

to this..."quality craftmanship

i like you...
it's funny because the jadis has tons of problems and is my goto joke picture to post.

not that you would know any better.
OK mr Phaez amp lover from the LP forum.

We love you too. Just because you were VERY upset about how your poorly constructed amps were torn apart over here....
do i look like im a phaez amp lover from my user name?

nice comeback thou...

but do you see some similarities in comparing the 2? neat bent wires...looks cosmetically pretty cool quality craftsmanship...yeah
lots of love around to both of you too
Yeah, right like a Phaez is even in the same ballpark as a Jadis.

Go away mboogie and don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.
Oh, a mod has already sent you on your way.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by mboogie21
do i look like im a phaez amp lover from my user name?

nice comeback thou...

but do you see some similarities in comparing the 2? neat bent wires...looks cosmetically pretty cool quality craftsmanship...yeah
lots of love around to both of you too

I don't get it. first it's no jadis. then it's totally jadis?

it's no hot glue surprise that's for sure.
Quote by AcousticMirror
it's funny because the jadis has tons of problems and is my goto joke picture to post.

not that you would know any better.

Oh thank god. I've been wondering that since you first posted it. It's pretty but I see a number of things I wouldn't do. Electros attached with epoxy, components sitting right over sockets, the bus wire is attached to the chassis via a solder blob, questionable grounding scheme, what appears to be radial caps suspended in mid air, etc.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Oh thank god. I've been wondering that since you first posted it. It's pretty but I see a number of things I wouldn't do. Electros attached with epoxy, components sitting right over sockets, the bus wire is attached to the chassis via a solder blob, questionable grounding scheme, what appears to be radial caps suspended in mid air, etc.

It's to make people that don't know any better go :O.
it's so purty. and shiny.

it's no tektronix.
Page 1 of 2