I made a post previously on how I changed strings on my guitar with the FR and how I was having an issue with that and I ultimately brought it to Guitar Center which is an hour away from my house. I brought it there yesterday and they still have yet to do it -_-. So I decided to try to get my ESP V-500 setup so I could practice on it and to be quite honest the guitar has been slightly neglected. I have my guitar with the FR setup for B Standard and I used to play my ESP in B Standard as well and have since been kind of keeping it in between B and Bb (to practice this a song in this tuning). I tuned it back up to B standard and I noticed I was getting horrible buzzing and a "clanking" kind of tone on the higher frets. So I raised the action a bit, and of course with my luck I have no ruler/feel gauge appropriate for trying to get and accurate measurement so I just kept raising it until most of the buzzing was gone. It did work a bit, not perfect but a lot better. I noticed my neck is giving quite a bit of relief so I tighted the truss rod a little bit, and now although the side of the neck with the bass strings is a tad bit straighter, the side with the treble strings still has a noticeable arc when I look down the neck. Im not sure if I should keep tightening it so I havent yet. I tried intonating the guitar just now and it did barely little. The guitar sounds horrible now and I am very inexperienced with this kind of stuff so Im trying to teach myself and you can imagine how frustrating this is. I feel like since I didnt appropriately get the guitar adjusted properly a while back that now the neck could be warped or something. Im not sure. What should I do? I feel at a total loss.
Its possible the neck may have warped if you didn't use it for a long time and it was leaning on neck in an awkward position.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
I'm no expert but it sounds like truss rod to me, if you have not been using it and your truss rod is off then the neck can set slightly bowed, something similar happened to me a while back. Try adjusting it again but remember adjusting the truss rod isn't an instantanious thing like intonition, it needs time to set
What I meant was the constant string tension can pull on the neck and if the truss rod isn't set up properly to withstand this tension then it will bow the neck
Last edited by jamie vk at Apr 12, 2012,
Before anything else, detune your guitar right away, maybe even take your strings off. And I mean like right now. Like, time is of the essence, and every second counts.

From what you've described, you are warping your neck, which may not be impossible to fix, but it is a bitch and a half to fix.

I would also take this guitar in to GC or another luthier to make sure there is no permanent damage, and to possibly fix it.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
Before anything else, detune your guitar right away, maybe even take your strings off. And I mean like right now. Like, time is of the essence, and every second counts.

From what you've described, you are warping your neck, which may not be impossible to fix, but it is a bitch and a half to fix.

I would also take this guitar in to GC or another luthier to make sure there is no permanent damage, and to possibly fix it.

Exactly what I feared. The guitar was just sitting on a wall stand, nothing serious. Why would this happen? What did I do to cause this?
Like, time is of the essence, and every second counts.*********************************/g.gif
Ive recently come to realize that in my small room I have a computer with a 1000 watt power supply that obviously generates a lot of heat and my tube amp that does the same. Needless to say when Im running these both at the same time it gets pretty warm in my room. Im thinking this is a problem with my guitars and want to know what I should? I only have this one room so I dont know what to do. If I keep my guitars in their hardcases when not in use will this completely protect them and remedy the problem? Or am I totally screwed?
Your guitar neck is made of hard wood with a steel rod in it. it has not warped because you left it in a stand. That would be like a baseball bat warping because it’s stored in a horizontal rack and gravity pulled the thin end down. And you didn’t warp it by downtuning it, raising the action, tweaking the truss rod, or keeping the room warm. If it really did warp the wood was probably bad in the first place. Just leave it alone, let the neck settle from the truss tweaks, and take it to someone who can teach you how to set up a Floyd.
Quote by jpnyc
Your guitar neck is made of hard wood with a steel rod in it. it has not warped because you left it in a stand. That would be like a baseball bat warping because it’s stored in a horizontal rack and gravity pulled the thin end down. And you didn’t warp it by downtuning it, raising the action, tweaking the truss rod, or keeping the room warm. If it really did warp the wood was probably bad in the first place. Just leave it alone, let the neck settle from the truss tweaks, and take it to someone who can teach you how to set up a Floyd.

I appreciate that, although this particular guitar has a string through. I did bring it to GC and they said that my room temp. shouldnt be a big deal because the heat generated from the computer and amp builds up gradually and then declines gradually as it shuts down, i.e. not drastic changes. This made me feel a ton better.