Hello.

For a while, I've considered replacing the bridge pick-up from the INF4 (default pick-up), with either a Duncan Distortion SH-6, or Dimarzio Evolution DP159. So, is it worth it? Will it define the sound substantially enough? And if so, which pick-up would you recommend between them?

This is my first time approaching anything Pick-Up related, so I know very little. Can pick-ups degrade over time? My Ibanez has to be at least 6 years old, it was passed down to me from my brother.
If you want the evo I hope you play incredibly cleanly.
That pup will not hide anything, the slightest touches or slides, etc ring through huge.

I've replaced my rg370dx's pups many times now. Still a muddy mess of a cheap knotty body.
Sounds better, but nothing like the pups sound in my better guitars.

I've had- Bkp Aftermath, Emg 81, Duncan Ahb1, Dimebucker, and finally just put in a spare ibby V8 I had.

Imo- buy a new guitar. Cheap wood cant be upgraded.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
If you want the evo I hope you play incredibly cleanly.
That pup will not hide anything, the slightest touches or slides, etc ring through huge.

I've replaced my rg370dx's pups many times now. Still a muddy mess of a cheap knotty body.
Sounds better, but nothing like the pups sound in my better guitars.

I've had- Bkp Aftermath, Emg 81, Duncan Ahb1, Dimebucker, and finally just put in a spare ibby V8 I had.

Imo- buy a new guitar. Cheap wood cant be upgraded.

I was actually planning on getting a new guitar too.
At what price range would you recommend?
Most people replace both pups at once but no biggy, short answer is yes you will notice a tremendous difference from the change. Inf 3/4 are pretty lack luster in comparison to almost anything you could get, I won't comment on what type of pickups you should get either.

There is way to much to consider, I suggests checking out the forums there are plenty of posts that can help you get started. Most pickup manufacturers are also very helpful, try contacting them if you still need a bit mor direction.

Can pickups degrade? Absolutely, remember passive pickups are magnets so they will weaken over time. This is not nessairly a bad thing, many old school rockers prefer aged pickups it happens over time but fairly slow. So you shouldn't really notice any big changes from a pickup under 5-6 years old.
Last edited by BigHeadClan at Apr 12, 2012,
Wildly varying.
I have a 150$ used guitar (plus 150$ or so pickups (rg470) that plays and sounds as well as a prestige.

If you are willing to go used and like the ibanez have a look for a used mij rg550/560/570/770.
You should be able to find some for dirt cheap that just need some tlc.
If you find a 470 replace the bridge posts. They are soft as shit.
Quote by EveEllis
I was actually planning on getting a new guitar too.
At what price range would you recommend?

What is your budget?

For a high end guitar, I would say about $800+, probably closer to $1,500. For a mid-range guitar, I would say about $500+

Like others have said, you can't replace crappy wood. Make sure the guitar sounds defined and has good sustain and THEN replace the pickups to taste.

What amp you playing through?
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
If crappy wood cannot be replaced, doesn't that mean I should be prioritising what wood is used? Does this mean Basswood is something I should completely avoid?
Quote by EveEllis
If crappy wood cannot be replaced, doesn't that mean I should be prioritising what wood is used? Does this mean Basswood is something I should completely avoid?

No. It's about the quality of the wood that matters, not the type.

If the wood is too light and has no sustain or resonance and everything sounds flat or muddy, then it is not a good piece of wood.

Look at this
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Last edited by stonyman65 at Apr 12, 2012,
Quote by EveEllis

basswood is generally the wood used on entry-level guitars. my laguna is swamp-ash and some schecters ive played have mahogany. generally different wood = different sounds, and something other than basswood would probably be a step up
Gear:
Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0
Alesis DM6
Two Colling's acoustics (my dad's)
Ibanez SoundGear bass
Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
Ovation 12-string (also dad's)
Sony 5.1 system
Quote by Lagunaguitar
basswood is generally the wood used on entry-level guitars. my laguna is swamp-ash and some schecters ive played have mahogany. generally different wood = different sounds, and something other than basswood would probably be a step up

Not necessarily. Lots of high end guitars use basswood (JEMs, UVs, Guthrie Govan sig model..) Like I said above, it is about the quality of the wood, not the tonal characteristics.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by stonyman65
No. It's about the quality of the wood that matters, not the type.

If the wood is too light and has no sustain or resonance and everything sounds flat or muddy, then it is not a good piece of wood.

Look at this

Thanks, that's very useful! I didn't really want to rule out the Hagstrom Ultra Swede, but perhaps Basswood isn't the wisest choice for what I aim to achieve tonally.
Nice little chart, saving that bad boy.

Those ultra swedes are nice guitars, my rhythm guitarist has a limited edition Smirnoff vodka (should Google a pick, one of the sexiest guitars I've ever seen) and it's an amazing guitar and very versatile.

Although it's true you find Basswood in lower price range guitars that because it's inexpensive. Wood is only one part of the guitar, there is still other things that will affect your tone so don't be discouraged by that.
Quote by BigHeadClan
Nice little chart, saving that bad boy.

Those ultra swedes are nice guitars, my rhythm guitarist has a limited edition Smirnoff vodka (should Google a pick, one of the sexiest guitars I've ever seen) and it's an amazing guitar and very versatile.

Although it's true you find Basswood in lower price range guitars that because it's inexpensive. Wood is only one part of the guitar, there is still other things that will affect your tone so don't be discouraged by that.

I do love the guitar, it seems optimised for what I feel comfortable playing. And it is VERY nice looking.

BUT! I realised, just now, that Hagstrom made the "Select Ultra Swede". Identical to the regular Ultra Swede, but manufactured with Mahogany rather than Basswood!
Quote by stonyman65
Not necessarily. Lots of high end guitars use basswood (JEMs, UVs, Guthrie Govan sig model..) Like I said above, it is about the quality of the wood, not the tonal characteristics.

+311 basswood is a fine wood. cheaper basswood goes into cheap guitars, good basswood makes it onto to better guitars (and more expensive).

3/4 of the guitar body woods and even necks and fingerboards can sound very good. if its a good cut, a good dry at the right humidity makes it a great guitar pretty much whatever it be, although different styled guitars use different woods.

gibson has excellent control in their factories, they have the exact temp and humidity. when i was visiting the Gibson Factory in Memphis which exclusively makes Hollow Bodies, you go in there and its a bit warm, and every ten or so moments you hear this noise and see misters misting the whole building area to keep the environment ideal for the guitars. the humidity makes a big difference.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/