Okay so I just got an opportunity to buy a head used while I've been looking at another one and I want to know any pros or cons of either amp.

I'm looking for a pretty high gain amp for my pop punk - rock band and some nice clean capabilities. So something nice and versatile.

I got an offer for a Peavey Windsor that's been modded to sound like a JCM 800 for $200-225.

I've also been looking at a Jet City JCA50H or 100H.

Help?

EDIT: Right now I'm just trying to figure out if it would be a good idea to buy the Peavey now to supplement me until this summer when I'd be able to buy a more expensive ($700-800) head. I have a solid state B-52 LS100 right now, should I just keep this head until I can afford a better one or switch it out for the Peavey?
TABBERS WANTED
If you are interested, and are up to it, please PM me for more info on the song.
Yes, it's just one song in particular, theres no shredding or fast solos.
It is a mellow, instrumental, clean, song.
Last edited by JRib1216 at Apr 14, 2012,
What is your budget?

I'd definitely look for a DSL100, or a Laney VH100 if you can find/afford one.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
What is your budget?

I'd definitely look for a DSL100, or a Laney VH100 if you can find/afford one.

My budget kinda caps out at a new JCA100H, so at around $700.

From what I'm getting so far, don't settle for that Peavey?
TABBERS WANTED
If you are interested, and are up to it, please PM me for more info on the song.
Can you ask the seller of the modded Windsor to try it out?
I can't make the decision for you, you'll have to try the amps you're looking at to see which suits you best.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Apr 13, 2012,
I know I'd be able to try it out, this guy has sold me quite a bit of gear. He says if he sells it online he'll go for $350, but for me it's $200. I'm not sure about jumping on the deal quite yet as I've been looking into the Jet City and Carvin heads.
TABBERS WANTED
Quote by JRib1216
I know I'd be able to try it out, this guy has sold me quite a bit of gear. He says if he sells it online he'll go for $350, but for me it's $200. I'm not sure about jumping on the deal quite yet as I've been looking into the Jet City and Carvin heads.

Try the other amps you've been looking at first, then try out the Windsor. If one of the amps you tried first sound better, get that. If the Windsor really sounds as good as the guy says, get that one. It's elementary, my dear Watson.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
I now lots of people say Jet City amps sound good, but I can't stop feeling strange about their quality. Maybe is just that you get for what you pay for, I still need to try one and make a fair judgment, no Jet City around here though.

I have experience with Peavey amps and those are really great built, botch chinese and american made.

Peavey Windsor sounds like and awesome option.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Quote by dspari1

I was looking at that, but it's a little high.

Right now I have a B-52 LS100 solid state head. Would this Peavey be a good all tube head to settle for for right now? If I were to buy something more of the $700-800 range, I wouldn't be able to buy it until summer anyway.
TABBERS WANTED
I own a Windsor, it's not modded, but I can't get any thing close to a metal tone out of it...(I don't play metal, so it works great for me) I can't think of a "mod" that would make the amp that much hotter... Perhaps with the right pedals, but not sure the Windor was built for that...

just some insight
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Papabear505
I own a Windsor, it's not modded, but I can't get any thing close to a metal tone out of it...(I don't play metal, so it works great for me) I can't think of a "mod" that would make the amp that much hotter... Perhaps with the right pedals, but not sure the Windor was built for that...

just some insight

He said he had some guy modify the circuit board, capacitors, transformers, and all that jazz. He also put in a new set of JJ tubes. That's all I know about the mod, but I've heard him play it some and it sounds nice.
The only thing I'm really concerned about is the lack of a clean channel. I know the JCA100H doesn't technically have a "clean," I believe I could get it to work with my style.
TABBERS WANTED
Quote by Perverockstar69
I now lots of people say Jet City amps sound good, but I can't stop feeling strange about their quality. Maybe is just that you get for what you pay for, I still need to try one and make a fair judgment, no Jet City around here though.

I have experience with Peavey amps and those are really great built, botch chinese and american made.

Peavey Windsor sounds like and awesome option.
I can speak on Jet City's quality. Sturdy casing, feels rugged overall, but the insides are a bit cheap. Particularly the switches, the Standby broke on mine, had to replace it. So far haven't had any technical issues with it.

I will say that their quality is however far, and I mean FAR better than any Chinese Peavey. ESPECIALLY the Windsor.
Quote by JRib1216
He said he had some guy modify the circuit board, capacitors, transformers, and all that jazz. He also put in a new set of JJ tubes. That's all I know about the mod, but I've heard him play it some and it sounds nice.
The only thing I'm really concerned about is the lack of a clean channel. I know the JCA100H doesn't technically have a "clean," I believe I could get it to work with my style.
Of course it has a clean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_v9Q-uBPGo&nomobile=1

Forgive the double post; on my phone.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Of course it has a clean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_v9Q-uBPGo&nomobile=1

Forgive the double post; on my phone.

haha I believe you were posting in my last thread about which amp to get. I've taken your Jet City suggestion as a longer-term goal. I won't have the money for one until at least this summer.

The main question I'm asking now is if the Windsor would be enough of an upgrade from my B52 LS100 that I should buy it now or just hold out with my amp until i can afford something better?
TABBERS WANTED
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I'd go for the Windsor. I think your ears will notice a difference right away. You shouldn't have any problem reselling the Windor either.

Any suggestion about what to do about the lack of a clean channel?

So it would be worth it to buy the Windsor now and possibly replace it this summer rather than keep my B-52 until this summer?
TABBERS WANTED
Coming back to this thread again - have you considered the Peavey ValveKing? It's not exactly British, but it has a lot of potential, and cool stuff you can do with it.

Other than that, I would go for a JCA50 or 100 like has been suggested.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Coming back to this thread again - have you considered the Peavey ValveKing? It's not exactly British, but it has a lot of potential, and cool stuff you can do with it.

Other than that, I would go for a JCA50 or 100 like has been suggested.

Yeah i've looked a bit at the ValveKing and I just don't think it's for me. I really like the sound of the JCA heads so that's my long term goal as of now. I'm just trying to figure out what to do shorter term.
TABBERS WANTED