I've been spending quite a bit of time in music stores listening to amps, as my little Peavey 15W is good, but I know I'd like better sound. I've ruled out a number of amps based upon the sound, or reviews (poor quality, etc), or price.

Two that I like are the Peavey Classic 30 Tweed and the Peavey Valveking 112. They're both available at reasonable prices on Ebay and elsewhere, and both have good sound.

I'm just starting, though, so I don't know what I'll need. Like so many people, I want to play the music I like, which is the Stones (Keith Richards and Mick Taylor and, to a much lesser extent Ron Wood), Stevie Ray Vaughan, Dire Straits, and others. So, with the exception of a few songs, the sounds are fairly clean. Some have heavier distortion. The Stones songs I like best have a fair number of low notes and chords that helped give them their menacing image.

Given the above, which would you suggest?
For you, methinks PC30, hands down.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
For the music you're playing, Peavey Classic would be perfect, and the Valveking would be OK, but less than ideal. Go for the Classic.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Yeah, go for the Classic.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
C30 for sure. Pick up an overdrive pedal for the more gainy stuff.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Definitely the Classic. It blows the VK away. Seriously an awesome amp. People are starting to realize though, the price has been creeping up on them lately

Try to go for the newest version (the one with the logo on the tweed, rather than on the grill). It has some cool features the older ones don't.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
agree that the 30 would be better however the VK will do those sounds as well. with a speaker change it will sound much better. if you can find a VK used and replace the speaker it will still be cheaper than the 30. i tried both when i was amp shopping last year and went with the VK. it has better distortion sounds imho for the sound i want. having said that the 30 is great for clean and somewhat dirty sounds.
I have a valveking.
Unless you're comfortable messing around on the inside of an amp, get the Classic 30. It sounds better right out of the box, though with some modifications a Valveking will sound absolutely staggering for the price.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Thanks for the replies. It's just about unanimous. I'll try to get a Classic 30 if the price is right.

If it's not, what sort of mod's would you suggest for the Valveking, PsiGuy60? Replacing the speaker with a Celestion? Anything else? I can work on electronics, so that's not a problem.
Quote by Monkeyleg
Thanks for the replies. It's just about unanimous. I'll try to get a Classic 30 if the price is right.

If it's not, what sort of mod's would you suggest for the Valveking, PsiGuy60? Replacing the speaker with a Celestion? Anything else? I can work on electronics, so that's not a problem.

I know I'm not the guy you asked, but if you put a greenback or an alnico blue in a Valveking I bet you it would sound much better than stock.
Quote by Monkeyleg

For your purposes, a Celestion Greenback would be about right.
Also, replace the 12AX7 tubes with some 5751s or 12AT7s. Helps tame the amp a bit, while also getting rid of excess gain.
Those are the main mods to do to a Valveking without opening the chassis.

Also, there's an entire wiki full of mods here:
Valveking Wiki.
Or try the Valveking Thread on UG somewhere.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
I have owned both amps. For me personally I like the vk over the clasisic, but the tones I go for are more modern rock which means higher gain. The vk does clean up ok with bright switch en all but not as good as classic. For what you want I would say the classic is the better choice but on an overall basis I would say the vk is the better amp. Especially after a few mods. Hope this helps
As far as Valveking speaker changes go if you want a rock/hard rock sound from a Valveking put a WGS retro 30 in it. If you want a bluesy/American rock sound put an Eminence Texas Heat in it. For heavy rock and metal put in an Eminence Man O' War.

The amps are different in that the Classic 30 uses EL84 tubes in the power section and the Valveking uses 6L6GC's. The pre-amp clean channel circuit is close to the same in both amps. To my ears the clean channel is better in the VK and I have heard both but I do own a VK so I might be slightly biased.
Last edited by sparkeyjames at Apr 13, 2012,
Well, the Classic 30 arrived today, and I just had to take a break from work to play with it.

The sound is incredibly rich. I can get some nice distortion from the pre-gain on the dirty channel, too. Much better for fuzzy sound than the Peavey 15W with a Blues Driver pedal.

No pre-programmed amp effects that I'll never use. I like being able to control a tool, rather than having the control pre-programmed.

A lot of power. I couldn't really go past 1-1/2 on the volume in my office.

I like.
HNGD!

Post a NAD thread, the more pics the better
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?