Hi all

basically I want to record some tracks at home, nothing too sophisticated although it should go beyond the very rough live recording I used to do on my cassette player back in the day...
Ideally I would like to be able to do some basic editing to make my recording sound 'palatable', nothing overly sophisticated, to get me started.
I was thinking about getting a few very basic things to get me started on doing this. What would you guys recommend?
I am utterly lost as there is so much available and I don't have the foggiest as to what I need and what would be a waste of money given my lack of skills...
I would greatly appreciate any helpful hints/advice!
check out guitar player magazine for may 2012. pages 100 -110. there is alot of home recording gear in the article . if you dont want to buy the mag go to their website and get a free digital subscription that you can either download and or recieve thru your e-mail address. www.guitarplayer.com is all you need to type or do a google search if you have a problem finding it.
if your willing to spend a little money, get an SM57 mic for your instrument/cab, and a single input interface. theres a few USB that accept a XLR or 1/4" cable. then just download reaper DAW and learn from there.
Do a lot of reading on here. There's some great information and most questions have been answered numerous times. Especially when it comes to 'which interface' etc. There's also some guides about how to use Reaper or working with amp sims. It'll take a little time and searching, but there's a lot of info to get you off to a good start. Good luck.
Quote by luciat
Hi all

basically I want to record some tracks at home, nothing too sophisticated although it should go beyond the very rough live recording I used to do on my cassette player back in the day...
Ideally I would like to be able to do some basic editing to make my recording sound 'palatable', nothing overly sophisticated, to get me started.
I was thinking about getting a few very basic things to get me started on doing this. What would you guys recommend?
I am utterly lost as there is so much available and I don't have the foggiest as to what I need and what would be a waste of money given my lack of skills...
I would greatly appreciate any helpful hints/advice!

You should defiantly start with an interface. Do you have a nice amp and cab? Do you want to spend the time learning how to properly mic an nice cab? Would you rather use an amp and cab simulator for guitar? Do you plan on recording vocals? What style of vocals? How many inputs do you plan on recording? Will the drums be live?

VArious questions that need to be answered. We what you plan on doing.
Read back about 10 pages or 20 - almost every question will be there... there's a whole education on here
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
As well as looking at interfaces & software packages like Reaper, you should also consider the option of getting a muiltitracker to use as your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). For most home recording projects they can do everything the software equivalent can, and often include things like drum machines and bass programmers.

As a purpose built all in one solution, they are designed to make recording, editing and mastering as easy as possible and are capable of very professional sounding results.

Tascam, Fostex and Boss are the main manufacturers of standalone multitrackers.

Zoom's R series is also worth looking at. This range is a hybrid multitracker/interface. It can be used as a standalone system, however it is also designed to work as an interface and controller compatible with most software DAWs.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud