I've looked at a lot of guitars and it seems like a lot of them make the same exact guitar. I know that there are a limited number of designs, but I am wondering why ESP, Schecter, Ibanez, and BC Rich and Dean all make some sort of super strat, all with 24 frets available and some sort of quilted or flamed maple cap on them. They come in all levels with your choice of a hard tail or a trem and your choice of actives or passives. Why is it that all these companies are basically making the same thing and having product differentiation at all? Or is there something differentiating them beyond brand name?

Also I know BC Rich's only ones that have the maple top are the Zoltan Bathory ASM signature models, but they still make them, but it is a weak point, so I'm not relying on that manufacturer completely.
Last edited by kharn_tb at Apr 13, 2012,
Because they are all slightly different in shape.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Theres a few reasons that alot of the manufacturers use the same style body. (and just for the record this isnt fact, just my opinion on things). First off if they make a guitar that is a similar shape to a les paul for instance, because most people who play guitar have played a les paul at one point or another, and they want you to be able to sit down and immediately play without some huge learning curve for that specific guitar(btw screw all the flying v guitars, theres no way those sit comfortably in my lap EVER.) and secondly ther are just some tried a true methods of making a guitar that resonates in the body well to give a good sound. but like i said, this may not be completely correct, just my opinion.
To play it safe with a tried and tested shape? I can see the appeal in makers trying to recreate great guitars, but I don't see the appeal in consumers buying these copies without specific reason.
"Which road do I take"? she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" was his response.
"I don't know", Alice answered.
"Then", said the cat,
"it doesn't matter.”
I should add another disclaimer, I like the qm/fm super strat. I owned one at one point, they are usually solidly built and versatile sound wise (unless the pups are built for something specific) and play wise. I would and want to buy another, since they are so well done. I am just trying to figure out the appeal of this shape over and over again from many companies. I know that safe and sound is a good path, but what makes a consumer pick one over another when outside company specifics they aren't that different.

I'm not going to argue that they are completely identical to 100% they have to be slightly different for legal purposes, but I'm going with generalities. I understand the goal of using Gibson and Fender's shapes, I'm talking the level of same exact features versus doing something to differentiate them.
When it comes to superstrats I don't mind everyone copying it. But when I see faithful copies of strats and les paulsI just think, why not buy the real thing? Or at least a squire or epiphone.
"Which road do I take"? she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" was his response.
"I don't know", Alice answered.
"Then", said the cat,
"it doesn't matter.”
It just comes down to what looks good and what people are used to. I can't think of the last time I saw a new, truly original shape that wasn't hideous. In fact, I think that some of the worst looking guitars probably came about because the builder was so concerned with looking unique that they didn't realise just how ugly it was.

And there's the fact that nobody can do anything if you copy a body style. Copyright/trademark/whatever the right term is (I'm sure some of you will know) only seems to apply to headstock design, which is why you see guitars with the same body style from different builders differing in the headstock.

Quote by BadBanshee
When it comes to superstrats I don't mind everyone copying it. But when I see faithful copies of strats and les paulsI just think, why not buy the real thing? Or at least a squire or epiphone

But there is a 'real thing' in superstrats too. It's called Jackson/Charvel.