Poll: new york in the 70s/80s = coolest place ever
Poll Options
View poll results: new york in the 70s/80s = coolest place ever
why would anybody want to go back to that era? :confused: new york was a shithole!
32 41%
I know what you mean OP..new york had a decaying beauty in that era :golfclap:
8 10%
dat shit cray :eek:
5 6%
I :heart: NY
5 6%
I :puke: on NY
12 15%
new york is a cool place to visit now. back then? no way jose :no:
7 9%
wow, some powerful imagery right there :down:
2 3%
I would have liked to live that era too. can't imagine how stimulating it must've been :cool:
1 1%
pfft new york back then was like candyland compared to some 3rd world countries today :rant:
7 9%
Voters: 79.
Page 1 of 2
can you imagine living though this? how stimulating it must have been? its like your senses would have to heighten and adapt just to survive this hell hole..keep it from swallowing you. NYC in the 70's and 80's was a gritty urban wasteland; a genuine horror show. these look like the sets of movies but this was the reality of a lot of new yorkers back then. crazy. i wish i could've lived it and experienced that era for myself

Last edited by killjoy_bentley at Apr 13, 2012,
New York is shit
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
new york= poo
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
1920's New York was the best

████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Last edited by Kensai at Apr 13, 2012,
Quote by killjoy_bentley
says the guy from a shithole like manchester

TSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by killjoy_bentley
says the guy from a shithole like manchester

Stop getting touchy
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crack_epidemic

maybe if you like heavily increased crime and murder rates, then yeah shit was ballin'
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Someone's just seen Taxi Driver for the first time. You aren't aspiring to be Travis Bickle are you?
Do Not Want.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
It didn't look that bad. Not all places in the city were dirty...
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Looks like i'd get stabbed with someones dick in 70s/80s New York.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Quote by cptcomet
Looks like i'd get stabbed with someones dick in 70s/80s New York.

I think the dick would belong to thge 'lady' in the fur coat.
A lot of New York is a kip. It's only a small part with all the flashy buildings etc.

Besides, 1930's New York was the best.

I mean this in the nicest way when I say your threads are completely idiotic.
I love that to show "this wasn't just in the movies", you picked a still from a Travolta film, and a still from fucking Watchmen.
I don't think what you're interested in is New York City particularly to be honest but rather a concept known as Urban Decay. It's not uncommon. It offers artistic imagery, imagination and nothing short of fascination:

Chungking Mansions, is a building located at 36–44 Nathan Road in Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong. The building is well known as nearly the cheapest accommodation in Hong Kong. Though the building is supposedly residential, it is made up of many independent low-budget hotels, shops, and other services. The unusual atmosphere of the building is sometimes compared to that of Kowloon Walled City.[1]

Chungking Mansions features guesthouses, curry restaurants, African bistros, clothing shops, sari stores, and foreign exchange offices. It often acts as a large gathering place for some of the ethnic minorities in Hong Kong, particularly South Asians (Indians, Nepalese, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and Sri Lankans), Middle Eastern people, Nigerians, Europeans, Americans, and many other peoples of the world. Peter Shadbolt of CNN stated that the complex was the "unofficial African quarter of Hong Kong."[2]

The building was completed in 1961, at which time Chinese residents predominated. Now, after more than four decades of use, there are an estimated 4,000 people living in the Mansions.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0b/Chung_king_mansions.jpg

This is one of several examples of landmark Urban Decay in my hometown.

Just type in Urban Decay into Google Images and get plenty of examples around the world.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Apr 13, 2012,
When it comes to urban decay I really like Hashima Island:

████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
When it comes to urban decay I really like Hashima Island:

Looks like Hong Kong. The last picture - the Kanji. It was a Chinese restaurant. Are you sure that's not Hong Kong? Hong Kong is known for a lot of Urban Decay because the people don't want regeneralisation. Google it on Images - You'll love the stuff there.

EDIT:

@ Kensai: Google "Walled City of Kowloon" into Google Images.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Chernobyl has urban decay TS.
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
Quote by Harmonius
I don't think what you're interested in is New York City particularly to be honest but rather a concept known as Urban Decay. It's not uncommon. It offers artistic imagery, imagination and nothing short of fascination:

Chungking Mansions, is a building located at 36–44 Nathan Road in Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong. The building is well known as nearly the cheapest accommodation in Hong Kong. Though the building is supposedly residential, it is made up of many independent low-budget hotels, shops, and other services. The unusual atmosphere of the building is sometimes compared to that of Kowloon Walled City.[1]

Chungking Mansions features guesthouses, curry restaurants, African bistros, clothing shops, sari stores, and foreign exchange offices. It often acts as a large gathering place for some of the ethnic minorities in Hong Kong, particularly South Asians (Indians, Nepalese, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and Sri Lankans), Middle Eastern people, Nigerians, Europeans, Americans, and many other peoples of the world. Peter Shadbolt of CNN stated that the complex was the "unofficial African quarter of Hong Kong."[2]

The building was completed in 1961, at which time Chinese residents predominated. Now, after more than four decades of use, there are an estimated 4,000 people living in the Mansions.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0b/Chung_king_mansions.jpg

This is one of several examples of landmark Urban Decay in my hometown.

Just type in Urban Decay into Google Images and get plenty of examples around the world.

no, what interests me is the fact that its a decaying new york city. i couldn't give a **** about other examples of urban decay. see, new york is babylon, and to see it in that state is startling. despite that, its still vibrant and full of life. the energy of NYC is still there
Quote by killjoy_bentley
no, what interests me is the fact that its a decaying new york city. i couldn't give a **** about other examples of urban decay. see, new york is babylon, and to see it in that state is startling. despite that, its still vibrant and full of life. the energy of NYC is still there

Aaanyway...I like this picture

To be honest, NYC is very similar to HK and HK isn't exactly poor either - very much the opposite.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

A fine example of great town planning:

Despite that, Hong Kong seems the one of the only decent places in China, considering the fact they drive on the correct side of the road.
Last edited by CrimsonBizzare at Apr 13, 2012,
Quote by CrimsonBizzare
A fine example of great town planning:

Yeah - that's the Walled City of Kowloon. Also be aware that the lack of space is the reason why urban decay is prevalent in Hong Kong. As a result, we've had to make man-made islands and moutains to build upon. Hong Kong, despite only having a population of 7 million, has the most high-rises in the whole world - figures. As a result, appartments prices are probably the most expensive in the world relative to peoples' incomes.

I was too young to remember the Walled City but it's since been demolished.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Kensai
1920's New York was the best

*bunch of pictures of 1920's NY*

'20s looks really delightful.

TS, that is some scary shit.

GRAY RAINBOW

Quote by killjoy_bentley

I think you´d be rather fond of Berlin East!

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
TS: I'm a bit confused, so you accept and understand that at that time NY was a horrible and difficult place to live, and yet want to live there?

Quote by LostLegion
A lot of New York is a kip. It's only a small part with all the flashy buildings etc.

You realise there's a robot in the middle of that picture?
Quote by MadClownDisease
TS: I'm a bit confused, so you accept and understand that at that time NY was a horrible and difficult place to live, and yet want to live there?

yes because as scary as it looks new york was really alive then.. people were really alive then. do you understand what i mean? speaking as an artist, that era was a well of inspiration; everyday would have been an adventure
Quote by MadClownDisease
You realise there's a robot in the middle of that picture?

Quote by lambofgod127

Quote by killjoy_bentley
yes because as scary as it looks new york was really alive then.. people were really alive then. do you understand what i mean? speaking as an artist, that era was a well of inspiration; everyday would have been an adventure

Meh I can think it looks interesting from an outsider's perspective, but I'm sure actually trying to survive there would probably put a bit of a downer on its artistic merits.
Quote by jugglingfreak
New York is, was, and always shall be, a shithole.

It's a festering boil on the ass of the U.S.

why do southerners always hate on NYC? (and California for that matter)

enlighten me. do you guys have some sort of complex?
And everyone knows 90s NYC was the best NYC.

EDIT:

Quote by Harmonius
Aaanyway...I like this picture

To be honest, NYC is very similar to HK and HK isn't exactly poor either - very much the opposite.

I've been in love with HK ever since I saw this picture.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/23/Hong_Kong_Skyline_Restitch_-_Dec_2007.jpg

Really must go someday.
Last edited by akack at Apr 13, 2012,
Page 1 of 2