Well, not exactly starting, I already play with a friend's bass. But I have no bass of my own. So I am gonna get one. I am pretty new to playing bass, so I was wondering whether I should get a 5 string or a 4 string.
I want to play stuff like Iron Maiden, In Flames, Necrophagist ( ) etc..

I had this bass in mind.
http://www.espguitars.com/basses/ltd-standard-deluxe/f-415fm.html

What do you think? Feel free to suggest other stuff.
My Budget is $1000 - $1200

Thanks,
4 or 5 strings is purely a matter of preference. I like 5 strings, I know one other person who likes 5 strings, the 3 or 4 other basses I talk to regularly prefer 4 strings. A girl in a concert band I played with had the 4 string version of that bass and she liked it, It sounded pretty good to me too.
Get a 5 string. I have an ESP LTD AX-404 right now, and it's amazing in terms of sound and quality (and looks unique enough too!), but it is heavy. VERY heavy. Also, not having the low B is kinda annoying.

If I was to buy another bass, it would be the one you're looking at. However, you should also look at some classified ads, because you can get a much better deal there.
Quote by askrere
Iron maiden, P bass, flats and great techniques.

this
or Ibanez BTB700DX
Gear:-
ESP LTD M-50.
Roland Cube20XL.
Warwick Rockbass Corvette Classic 5-String.
Warwick BC-40 Bass Amp.
Morley Power Wah.
EHX Big Muff.
If 1000 - 1200 is your budget you could get something great. If I was in your position I'd look used or get a Brubaker Brute. Those things are in my opinion just about the best thing under 1000 dollars. That way you'd have a little cash left over to buy a real nice combo amp.
Quote by Double Basser
there is no simple instrument, only simple minds
Mexican P bass > sansamp VT > maybe a orange bass terror 500 and 1x15 If you could search used, add a silent fan and you'd have a beast of a rig in small size that could handle any venue or genre.
Start as you mean to go on, I played fours for 37 years and then bought a MM Stingray 5, I never gigged my lovely 65 fender Jazz from that moment.
Fives offer much more scope.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
My first bass was a four. Sold it for a fiver, and now I find the limited range of fours annoying. Better to have that range available in case you need it, even if you don't end up using it that often.

Then I got a sixer.