Page 1 of 2
I purchased a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier about 6-7 months ago so I could do actual gigging with my band. But I have never not once been satisfied with my tone. I find it completely impossible to get a decent metal/metalcore tone out of this thing. While I have read that it takes a while to really find a tone with one of these heads I still haven't found one, and there has been multiple gigs where my tone has just been absolutely laughable at best. The distortion on this thing sounds terrible and grainy all the time and no matter what tone I try to dial in it just doesn't do much for me. For a while I thought maybe it was just my guitar but once I got a pod farm I realised that even with the rectifier model in podfarm, that was not the case for the tone sounded killer. The triple rectifier has been my first real tube amp so I'm pretty unexperience with them, and with it being stored at our practice spot which is a 30min drive from my house its really hard for me to just sit down with it and mess with the tone. (even though I have never found a decent one anyways.) So I was wondering what way should I go about to getting a good metalcore/metal breakdowney tone for this thing? Is there any vital gear like a compressor or hotplate or something that I should purchase to help with the tone and the ability to get that good tone on the spot at a gig when you don't have time to really dial it in? And if so what do these accessories do? I have been thinking a lot lately of maybe selling my rectifier to instead buy a 5150 which is not only cheaper but I feel will be more reliable to get a tone I want and will be a more reliable when I'm using it live. Any thoughts or suggestions?

TLDR: Can't get a good or reliable tone with rectifier, how can I go about fixing it? Buying compressor or hotplates to improve sound? Selling for a cheaper and possibly more reliable 5150? Looking for a tone like I am abomination, or Jeff Loomis, Asking Alexandria etc.
Last edited by Alkarin at Apr 13, 2012,
tl;dr
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by xFilth
What cab?

Line 6 4x12. I know thats not the best by far but its got celestions in it.
Scoop it, scoop it, and scoop it some more.

Bring down the mid way down and tweak the rest to your liking; if your looking for that metalcore sound you might want a little more treble in your tone so bring up the mid hi and try to get a tight low end.

Oh, and gain isn't everything; if you EQ it right, you'll find the sweet spot somewhere between half and 3 quarters (9 o'clock).

Hope this helps! (If this doesn't work, you bought a faulty amp because Mesa Boogies cannot go wrong...or you could just be playing really bad lol jk...maybe)

By the way, what's your gear?
Last edited by Shornifier at Apr 13, 2012,
For starters it baffles me that you went for a £2000 Mesa head for your first tube amp - but there we go.

Secondly - what do you mean you have no time to sit and play around with it. It's band practice - your tone is quintessential to your band. Practice using your amp is just as important as anything else.
Tell your buddies to shut the **** up for an hour, while you sit down, and experiment. If they know anything about amps and tones, they can sit with you and you come to a conclusion, you look at guides on the internet, you look at youtube reviews. You consider an OD pedal, like a ts9 etc.

Also, look up on youtube 'fearedse' - he has a triple rectifier sound test thing, where he shows you it with and without a maxon808.

He'll probably have the settings somewhere too.

Hoep this helps.
Blackstar HT-5 mini-stack
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978
If you're just playing at home or with friends, do it dude. Chicks dig stacks! Crank out some Metallica and do a couple of single moms!

I ask many questions.
Quote by Shornifier
Scoop it, scoop it, and scoop it some more.

Bring down the mid way down and tweak the rest to your liking; if your looking for that metalcore sound you might want a little more treble in your tone so bring up the mid hi and try to get a tight low end.

Oh, and gain isn't everything; if you EQ it right, you'll find the sweet spot somewhere between half and 3 quarters (9 o'clock).

Hope this helps! (If this doesn't work, you bought a faulty amp because Mesa Boogies are the shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit...or you could just be playing really bad lol jk...maybe)

I may just be a noob at EQ'ing, I'm not sure on the relation between, presence and all that I should have, but it doesn't seem to make too much of a difference. And on the bad playing part, I'd like to think that is excluded since my tones on Podfarm sound killer. Unless playing on them is completely different from the live amp.
Turn off the tube rectifier on the back panel and switch it to the solid state setting. I had one for a year I never really liked it either.
use a maxon OD 808 in front of it...thats what almost every metal mesa user does
Celestion don't mean shit when used by Line6. It's not a specificly famous speaker (like a v30), just some generic speaker which happens to carry the name Celestion.
My old spider also has Celestions. Still sounds like shit. Even if I use another amp through those speakers.

The obvious solution here is not to try a hotplate or a comp.
You plug in your gear the way you'll use it live.
Sit (hours on end if needed) in front of your amp and make small adjustments to knobs.
It's the only way to find a sound YOU like.
There is no secret setting for ultimate tone. Even for a specific genre.
what are your settings?

Are you boosting it with an OD?

What guitar?

Tuning?

You really need to spend some time EQ'ing a recto. The EQ is active, so making changes on one knob will sometimes require a minor tweak of another to sound right. All Mesas are tweaker amps for the most part.

I'd be saving up for a better cab. Line 6 cabs aren't exactly known for being very good. The recto cabs (even the 212's) sound HUGE. Your cab can have a huge impact on your sound.

I had a triple rec for maybe 6 months. It was WAY too much amp for me at the time, but when I was able to crank it up, it did sound pretty epic.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
I've owned one for 7 years now and never had a problem.
Usually on mine (I'm using a Rectifier Traditional 4x12) I've got my Bass scooped to 0. The amp by nature is incredibly low endy. I'm not quite sure what you mean by grainy though. Again, never ran into this issue. If you pass by my profile on here and listen to "Chapter4 Recreate", that's my Triple Rec. mic'd up with a Shure SM57 through my Mesa 4x12 Rectifier Traditional Cab, with my Modded Fender Strato. You shouldn't need an OD pedal with one of these amps. For laughs, this is usually how I have mine set.. Maybe this will work for you?

Lead Channel (Red)
Presence - 1 o'clock
Volume - 12 o'clock
Gain - 2 to 3 o'clock
Bass - All the way down
Mid - 3 to 4 o'clock
Treble - 2 to 3 o'clock

Rythem Channel (Yellow)
Same as lead channel.. Sometimes, if this channel seems like it doesn't have the umph, the Lead Channel will have what I need.. In a heavier application.

Clean Channel (Green)
This channel is going to differ highly for everyone. It's a finicky channel and I hated it for the longest time.. But you CAN achieve a nice clean tone on this amp.. But it requires more time sitting in front of the amp than the dirty channels do, imo.

Seriously though, you just need to practice with it a bit. It took me a LONG while before I finally wrapped my head around mine. It was my second tube amp.. My first one over 25 watts.. And It's a LOT of amp. When I first got mine, I use to scoop the mids and the bass and treble were jacked all the way up. Thank god I've learned better now though. There's a reason why a ton of bands use these amps. The trick is discovering the reason.
If you are too lazy to learn how to drive your amp why should we bother with you? Get off your arse and do what you know you have to do.

And while you're at it - learn how to use paragraphs too. That was painful to read.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 13, 2012,
Quote by Alkarin
I may just be a noob at EQ'ing, I'm not sure on the relation between, presence and all that I should have, but it doesn't seem to make too much of a difference.

Actually IMHO, EQ is the thing that matters most. Go to the Mesa Boogie site and they'll give you some settings you can start off with.

One thing that I like to do with new amps, equalizers, pedals, etc. is to bring everything down and try to hear how each knob affects the tone. So for example, you could play one riff with only the bass turned up to max, turn it back down, play the same riff with only the mid turned up to max, turn it back down, and so on. That'll give you a clearer idea of how each part of the amp works and help you 'visualize' the tone you want.
$2000 head and $300 cab. And unwilling to go spend time with it? Sheesh. Go spend a few evenings with it and figure out what you need to know. Or do what a head/cab setup is really great at: get a 2nd cab for home (good quality 2x12??).
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
First thing... were the tubes brand new when you bought the amp? Rectifiers are awesome, and if it's sounding bad, I wonder if it's the tubes that need to be replaced.
DBZ Bird of Prey Sepulchre
Diamond Nitrox Head
Diamond Nitrox 4x12 Cabinet
Last edited by dspari1 at Apr 14, 2012,
Quote by Into Exile
For starters it baffles me that you went for a £2000 Mesa head for your first tube amp - but there we go.

Secondly - what do you mean you have no time to sit and play around with it. It's band practice - your tone is quintessential to your band. Practice using your amp is just as important as anything else.
Tell your buddies to shut the **** up for an hour, while you sit down, and experiment. If they know anything about amps and tones, they can sit with you and you come to a conclusion, you look at guides on the internet, you look at youtube reviews. You consider an OD pedal, like a ts9 etc.

Also, look up on youtube 'fearedse' - he has a triple rectifier sound test thing, where he shows you it with and without a maxon808.

He'll probably have the settings somewhere too.

Hoep this helps.

If you have the money for the best gear, why not? He's actually playing with people, so going from a modeling amp to the best he can get is good.
DBZ Bird of Prey Sepulchre
Diamond Nitrox Head
Diamond Nitrox 4x12 Cabinet
Quote by Alkarin
Line 6 4x12. I know thats not the best by far but its got celestions in it.

some celestions are rubbish, though. which celestions does it have?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
get a maxon od808 and use it infront as a "boost" also change the cab, cabs make a huge difference and i cant imagine a line6 cab would ever sound good
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard