Hey guys,

I'm thinking about starting a channel on which I will be interviewing some bands. It's gonna be mostly gear-talk.

I haven't done this before so I was wondering if any of you could give me some hints and tips.

I'm not to sure which camera I'll be using but I'm gonna hook it up to a Shure SM58

I'm looking for tips ons recording the interview as clean and crisp as possible. So tips in editing, perhaps some hardware tips...you know the drill. The video-shizzle will be all figured out, it's just the audio I'm worried about.

example of what I'm aming for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgbKGP8c0xs

EDIT: I'm gonna be interviewing some bands in venues where music is playing and loads of people are chatting. So I'de really love some hints on how to capture the voice perfect and mute out most of the background noise
Last edited by Kriptonite_r at Apr 13, 2012,
Well the obvious thing is some form of noise gate.

You can get recorders made for that kinda thing which have sensitivity options built in (I THINK)
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Well the obvious thing is some form of noise gate.

You can get recorders made for that kinda thing which have sensitivity options built in (I THINK)

Would any kind of noise suppressor work? Like a guitarpedal? I own a Boss NS-2, would that do the trick? Or are there noise gates for mics as well?
Keep in mind that a guitar pedal is made for handling guitar frequencies. Voices through guitar pedals generally don't sound satisfying. However, I expect it would work.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.