Hello UG!
I have a big question that needs anwsering.

I am looking to buy my first Tube amp head, and because I love Marshall sound i can't decide betwenn JVM210H, JVM 410h or 2466 Vintage Modern.

First of all i would like to get a old school distordion out of them(AC/DC, Whitesnake and Guns'n'Roses sound mostly), a little Metal(Dream Theater - but i know i wount but a little metal is good), nice clean and maybe a little chrunch. Now I own a Marshall JCM 900 Amp and use only 1 chanell. For Distortion i use my Boss (DS-2) Turbo distortion and for chrunch i use my Boss(SD-1) super overdrive. I also have on my pedalboard a Boss super chorus, Line 6 DL4 modulator, Boss Harmonist, EVH flanger, and a Standart Cry Baby Wah wah.

Now the question is would i Even need a JVM 410h because it has 4 chanells and i don't think i even need for channels. I also read the forums a little and there are mixed Reviews about the JVM 410h, But the JVM 210h has only two Channels and i think this would be ideal for me.

Also a friend is thinking of buying Marshall Vintage modern 2466 but it has only one chanell and i am a little sceptical about that.

So my question is from which amp will i get these sound and also find my own
My band plays Led Zeppelin, Red Hot Chili Peppers, AC/DC, some Slovenian Bands, a little Blach Sabbath, Eric Clapton, Pearl Jam, Guns'n'roses, and some YUGO ROCK.

From which amp will i get the desired sound, it is versataile, is powerfull and wont be disapointed.

Thank you very much.

Viduc
up to you, really. vm might be a little too vintage-sounding, jvm a little too modern (though probably alright).

maybe take a look at a laney gh as well?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a jvm 410h and it will do everything you need. but as Dave said it might be a little too modern.

why arent you using your JCM900? that will cover all the sounds you have said. and its 2 channels.

just use one for gain and boost it with your SD-1 for some heavier sounds. and the other for clean
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Eh. Can't you go used? If I were in your shoes, I'd probably rather have a DSL than either of those.

If anything, I wouldn't get the Vintage Modern. It's a great amp, for sure, but it's only single channel, so using it in a live application for everything you do will be a bit moot.

As for the JVM, I don't really get the point of the 210. I'd recommend the 410, just to have all of the channels & features. Better to have enough than not enough.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ If I were to get a JVM (which I wouldn't) I'd get the 210. Remember, there are 3 modes for each channel so you have 6 channels or 6 different basic tones out of the 210. Having 4 channels and 12 modes seems a bit crazy to me and I think the tone suffers because of it. Vintage Modern is out basically if you need cleans.

I'd propose the DSL as well a Laney or an Egnater or a Splawn depending on where you live.

V....That's fair. The 410 is just a bit of a PITA to me. OD1 green was cool though.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Apr 13, 2012,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ If I were to get a JVM (which I wouldn't) I'd get the 210. Remember, there are 3 modes for each channel so you 6 channels or 6 different basic tones out of the 210. Having 4 channels and 12 modes seems a bit crazy to me and I think the tone suffers because of it. Vintage Modern is out basically if you need cleans.

I'd propose the DSL as well a Laney or an Egnater or a Splawn depending on where you live.

IMO no, there's really no noticable difference in tone between the 2-channel and 4-channel JVMs. Not sure if it's true, but I heard the JVM was designed so that the signal runs through whatever channel you selected while the others are being bypassed.
I would personally go for the 410 myself. Might be a bit crazy to have so many tones at first, but if you like to tweak (like me ) there's possibly use for all the channels and modes in the long run.

Anyway, the other amps you listed are worth considering as well.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ If I were to get a JVM (which I wouldn't) I'd get the 210. Remember, there are 3 modes for each channel so you have 6 channels or 6 different basic tones out of the 210. Having 4 channels and 12 modes seems a bit crazy to me and I think the tone suffers because of it. Vintage Modern is out basically if you need cleans.

V....That's fair. The 410 is just a bit of a PITA to me. OD1 green was cool though.

It would if the multiple channes were just gain boosts or extra stages. IIRC the JVM has different circuitry for each channel Mesa style?
If you need versatility and cleans I think the JVM is a nice amp. Just be real on how many different tones you need at your feet.

Laney are great amps, and maybe Splawn are better (IDK yet though, I'm dying to try one).

BTW, how many modded JCM800 are being produced this times guys?

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Apr 13, 2012,
Quote by Perverockstar69
If you need versatility and cleans I think the JVM is a nice amp. Just be real on how many different tones you need at your feet.

Laney are great amps, and maybe Splawn are better (IDK yet though, I'm dying to try one).

BTW, how many modded JCM800 are being produced this times guys?

If you're speaking of hotrodded JCM800 clones, plenty.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Name the most important ones IYO

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
Splawn Quick Rod
Laney VH100R

I don't know why you guys are so scared of single channel amps for live work, there are so many ways to drive them.
The VM has an effects loop so just get two MIDI effects units, run one in the loop and one out front. Arrange the volumes on the units on a patch by patch basis to get the gain structure that you desire. When you select a patch the amount of preamp boost/cut is set by the unit out front and the master volume is set by the volume of the unit in the loop. As they are linked via MIDI, once you select a patch both units change together. You have now converted your single channel amp into a 128 channel monster.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 13, 2012,
+1 to the vintage modern
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I have the JVM 215C - 2 channel combo.
This amp has been fantastic and the 2 channels with 3 modes on each are way more than enough for the kind of music you are into; and thats without using any pedals for distortion or overdrive.
After having this amp for a while I am happy that I didn't go with the 4 channel version.
2011 PRS CU24 (Black/Gold), Carvin Legacy 3
Quote by JesusCrisp
Not sure if it's true, but I heard the JVM was designed so that the signal runs through whatever channel you selected while the others are being bypassed.

Quote by GS LEAD 5
It would if the multiple channes were just gain boosts or extra stages. IIRC the JVM has different circuitry for each channel Mesa style?

But the Modes (gain stages) are shared right? I'm just not a fan of the JVMs. I don't really care for the distortion. 'Contrived' is the term I use to describe it. Never played a Vintage Modern. Not trying to bring you guys down so I'll just leave the thread now.

v... But you can't compare the JVM to Mesa IMO and this was about the 410 vs 210 vs VM. I just had an opinion (that others share btw) that 4 channels/3 modes each is a bit much for a Marshall amp.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Apr 14, 2012,
Quote by Dave_Mc
up to you, really. vm might be a little too vintage-sounding, jvm a little too modern (though probably alright).

maybe take a look at a laney gh as well?

JVM, although a modern amp, can be tweaked to sound more vintage than you might expect. I've owned mine for a while now, and mods and tonal preferences aside, just playing with the resonance and presence will go a long way to making it sound more "vintage".
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Apr 14, 2012,
I have a vintage modern and for the sounds you need it's perfect.
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Quote by Mark G
JVM, although a modern amp, can be tweaked to sound more vintage than you might expect. I've owned mine for a while now, and mods and tonal preferences aside, just playing with the resonance and presence will go a long way to making it sound more "vintage".

yep

funnily enough as soon as i wrote that i sorta remembered that i preferred its vintage tones to its modern ones

but then again i tend to use (sorta) more modern tones, so i was worried maybe it was just me
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yep

funnily enough as soon as i wrote that i sorta remembered that i preferred its vintage tones to its modern ones

but then again i tend to use (sorta) more modern tones, so i was worried maybe it was just me

Love or hate the JVMs tone, but you can really do ANY genre with it pretty damn well.
It doesn't replace a collection of original Marshall and other brands' amps, but it's one of the most versatile and still good sounding tube amps on the market IMO.
You can go from crystal clear funk to the craziest metal tones with everything inbetween, which you might or might not need.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
oh yeah it was pretty versatile

though i wasn't too fussed on the higher gain tones
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by constructbot
I have a vintage modern and for the sounds you need it's perfect.

I also have the Vintage Modern and it is awesome. Any classic rock sounds you can think of, it can do. Yeah it's single channel, but I don't think that matters too much. I only really use the low dynamic range and then use an overdrive if I want to get into dirtier territory. I mainly use a Tone Bender so I just stay on the LDR all the time. The High Dynamic Range will get you the best Guns N Roses sound ever. Slash used the amp live for a few years for good reason
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Slash used the amp live for a few years for good reason

not to mention PG in mr.big had probably my favorite classic-rock-ish rhythm tones
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
not to mention PG in mr.big had probably my favorite classic-rock-ish rhythm tones

True. However, he used the 50 watt combo, I believe. And I tried that because dragging a half stack around is a massive pain in the ass. But I thought it sounded crap and the half stack was far superior.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
True. However, he used the 50 watt combo, I believe. And I tried that because dragging a half stack around is a massive pain in the ass. But I thought it sounded crap and the half stack was far superior.

no he used the 50w head live too
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy

The one you played could have been bad. I haven't played the head, but I played the combo for a while, and I really loved it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X