Hey there guys.

So I have a Marshall MG 10 watt amp. (crappy amp). I want to get a distortion pedal for it and I want to know if the quality of the amp affects the sound of the pedal. If I play through a bad amp (like mine), will it still sound the same if I played it through a better amp?

Sorry if confusing.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
No.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
No
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
It will probably sound better, but it won't sound particularly good. It's probably not worth buying one until you get a better amp.
just to clarify, i assume they're saying, "No", to "If I play through a bad amp (like mine), will it still sound the same if I played it through a better amp?"

and i'd agree. the amp affects the sound of the pedal.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
pretty much

a pedal might help a little and work as a stopgap but it's the amp that's holding you back
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by stealstrings
Hey there guys.

So I have a Marshall MG 10 watt amp. (crappy amp). I want to get a distortion pedal for it and I want to know if the quality of the amp affects the sound of the pedal. If I play through a bad amp (like mine), will it still sound the same if I played it through a better amp?

Sorry if confusing.

Does an expensive phone case make a shitty, broken phone any better?
nope.
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
Itll improve it a bit, when I was young and naive I ran a boss metalzone through an mg15 and it actually improved the sound...........very slightly.
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Ok ,thanks guys. I'm looking at the Roland Cube 20XL. Never been a fan of Vypyrs.
The cubes are very good but you should also check out the fender mustangs which are supposed to be even better.
Quote by kutless999
The cubes are very good but you should also check out the fender mustangs which are supposed to be even better.

Ok, will do.

EDIT: Yeah I like the Fender Mustang 1. Might get that.....
Last edited by stealstrings at Apr 13, 2012,
Quote by stealstrings
Ok, will do.

EDIT: Yeah I like the Fender Mustang 1. Might get that.....

Yep, the 1 sure is a great amp. It beat out the Vibro champ xd and the frontman 212r I tried .
I'd save up and get something with a little more umph. If you're UG's rocker, you're going to want a band sooner or later, and that Mustang won't hold up against a drummer for anything.

Stick with it for bedroom rocking, but if you have any future plans of jamming with more people, save up for something better.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Itll improve it a bit, when I was young and naive I ran a boss metalzone through an mg15 and it actually improved the sound...........very slightly.

Blackstar HT-5 mini-stack
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978
If you're just playing at home or with friends, do it dude. Chicks dig stacks! Crank out some Metallica and do a couple of single moms!

I ask many questions.
Last edited by Into Exile at Apr 13, 2012,
Honestly, not sure how much of an upgrade a Mustang I would be...?

Save up and get a significantly better amp. You'll thank us later.
I sound awesome on anything
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Yeh, good pedals through crap amp = amp makes pedals sound crap. As a general rule of thumb in the guitar gear world, you can't polish a turd. Buying a nice pedal and putting it through a crap amp is the equivalent of putting sprinkles on said turd.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Quote by P5ych0_Killer
Honestly, not sure how much of an upgrade a Mustang I would be...?

Save up and get a significantly better amp. You'll thank us later.

See?
There is no redeeming a crap amp.
Save up a bit, get a decent amp. Everyone with ears will thank you.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Apr 13, 2012,
I have a marshall Mg100dfx and i pretty much hate it, the distortion is disgusting, the cleans i can live with. However, once i introduce a blackstar HT-distX to the mix i can get a seriously nice distortion tone from it.

So i dont think that really answers your question, with a small mg like yours theres not a huge amount you can do to make it sound better, but what im saying is you dont have to buy an expensive amp, just a slightly better one and get a decent pedal and you should be able to get a nice tone.

Also just constantly tweak your amp and guitar, if you can get a nice tone from your mg10 (which is possible, trust me, guitarist in my old band used one, sounded great) imagine what you'll be able to do when you upgrade
I tried this with a Marshall MG15. I played for 2 minutes, then rang my friend and asked if he'd like to buy a Distortion pedal.
Guitars
Fender Stratocaster HSS
Vintage V99CS
Eastwood Acoustic

Amps and Pedals
Blackstar HT-5R Stack
Digitech Bad Monkey
Korg PitchBlack

a rarity with solid states and gain pedals. only some take en very well especially at louder volumes.

best thing to make a cheap amp sound better (especially a solid state). AN EQ PEDAL. seriously. used at GC for 40 bucks boss ge-7.

really i think every guitar player on earth should have some from of EQ, even a crappy one. there is almost some application for it somewhere, and if you own a small or cheap amp, its an easy way to change the tone or add a lot of bottom end and depth make it sound better.

mostly, using an EQ pedal will give your distortion pedal TREMENDOUS character. it will make your 10 inch, 10 watt solid stte with a digitech disotrtion sound like a dual rectifier ( at home...not live).

people will never get this, because people buying this gear have a 1 track kind and think the 150 dollar digitech super awesome-o deathspike gain-o-matic is what they need.

nah. they should be buying a used EQ pedal in decent shape and using their exisiting gain pedal together as 1.
Golden rule: NO MATTER WHICH GUITAR ARE YOU PLAYING OR WHICH PEDAL ARE YOU USING YOU WILL ONLY SOUND AS GOOD AS YOUR AMP LETS YOU
Quote by blake1221
I'd save up and get something with a little more umph. If you're UG's rocker, you're going to want a band sooner or later, and that Mustang won't hold up against a drummer for anything.

Stick with it for bedroom rocking, but if you have any future plans of jamming with more people, save up for something better.

Yeah I desperately want a new amp for bedroom rocking. I have got a band, but only me, the other guitarist and bassist jam together at the moment coz we're still deciding on drummer and we haven't really got a singer. So we just jam along to songs. I probably won't need a bigger amp for a couple of months yet.

So yeah, I just want a better bedroom amp, 10 to 20 watts, that has some decent sounds. Even if I just get a non-modelling amp and hook a pedal up to that.

Another problem is that my local music store don't stock Fender mustangs, Roland cubes, or Vox VT+'s so I have to order the amp I want. And I don't like Peavey Vypyrs....I just don't.
I'm jamming today with my other guitarist and I might try out his Line 6, although I hear a lot of bad things about them as well....