whats the difference between alcino 3 and alcino 5 pickups???which can handle better the distortion???
The obvious difference is going to be tonal characteristics, but different magnets allow for higher output pickups. The highest output alnicos are Alnico 8, but Alnico 5 is higher output than Alnico 3. I think Alnico 3s have a smoother top end than Alnico 5s which have a more grating sound. I suppose Alnico 5 would be more sensible for higher gain situations but it's still subjective. Ceramics have a similar output to Alnico 8s and Neodymium magnets are even more powerful.

(It's Alnico not Alcino)
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
You only need one question mark. Three punctionation marks is a sign of insanity.

Magnet type doesn't effect how well a pickup ''handles'' distortion. Not that any pickup can handle distortion better or worse than any other pickup; what sounds best is entirely subjective and down to personal preference. Many people think that all single coils are useless with distortion. Other people think all humbuckers sound bad clean. Some people like both for any sound, other people don't use either traditional single coils or humbuckers.

To answer your question on the two magnets, it depends how they're used.
In a bar magnet humbucker or mini-humbucker, A3 gives a very bright tone and the lowest output of any of the common bar magnet materials. A5 gives medium output and has high treble and bass which resultings in a somewhat ''scooped''-sounding tone.
In a Fender-style single coil, the outputs are about the same but the A3 will seem to have a slightly more balanced tone. Again, the A5 will result in a very slightly scooped-sounding tone since the treble and bass response is a bit more intense while the mids stay the same. Generally, the A5 will sound clearer but potentially a little bit harsh.
In P-90s and Firebird pickups the A5 gives a very cutting tone with lots of treble and just a little bass; mids are nowhere to be found. The A3 also gives a bright tone but nowhere near as imbalanced, with the treble and mids being more even though the bass will still be very soft.
In Wide Range or other magnetic pole piece humbuckers, as well as in Jazzmaster pickups, A3 gives a tone close to the original CuNiFe magnets; bright and open with moderate bass. A5 bumps up the treble and bass so much the pickup will sound not unlike a typical single coil.

Though all that is dependant on how the pickup is wound and the wire it uses, not to mention the other electronics, the materials the guitar is made from, its construction, the scale length, the hardware, the strings and of course your playing style and amp.

As for which will nail Hendrix's tone best, neither. Or both, whichever way you want to look at it. Hendrix used whatever pickups came in whatever guitar he was playing at the time and got the same tone out of all of them. Between his effect pedals and his playing there really wasn't much of the basic, core tone left for anyone to be able to listen and tell what kind of slightly different magnet he had. Nobody back then worried about magnet types, they just picked up the guitar and played it and messed with their amp and pedals until it sounded good. Not to mention Hendrix of course had his guitars strung up backwards so the pole piece stagger was off and the bridge pickup was reverse slanted and all the strings broken over the nut at a dodgy angle. All-in-all, your pickups' magnets are the least of your concerns when trying to sound like Jimi.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^ Yeah, Hendrix is all about the fuzz.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
^ and the flames.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
To be honest, you're better off doing things like getting a new amp,better guitar rather than debating which pickup magnet. As for blues,an alnico 3 would probably be better,but there are so many variations of blues.
]
Last edited by falcon1439 at Apr 14, 2012,
Quote by pankar94
which is better for blues???

It's another apples vs. oranges question.
I love how the one guys says to stop using 3 question mark, but he keeps doing it anyway.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Because using three question marks gets your question answered three times faster, duh.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Jesus H...

Yes, you can get SRV's tone with A3 magnets. You can also get Hendrix's tone with them, and Clapton's, and Jeff Beck's, and Slash's, and Eddie Van Halen's, and Metallica's, and god damn everybody else. And you can get their tones with A5 magnets. And you can get them with A8 magnets, and A2 magnets, and A4, A6, A7, A9 magnets, and ceramic magnets, and neodymium magnets, and CuNiFe magnets.

The magnet type makes very little difference.

There are so many other factors that matter more than what kind of magnet you use. The size and shape of the magnets, for instance. The wire that is in the pickup. How much wire is in the pickup. The size and shape of the pickup. How many coils the pickup has. And there are things which matter more than the pickup entirely! What type of wood the guitar is made from, what scale length the guitar is, what sort of bridge it has, how it's constructed, what sort of nut it has, all of these things effect your tone more than what magnet is in your pickups. And all of that becomes completely meaningless if you don't have a suitable amplifier. You can play almost any guitar through a Marshall plexi stack amp with a fuzz pedal and sound like Hendrix. You can't get those tones if you're playing through a Triple Recti head, even if you were using one of Jimi's very own guitars.

Yes, there are differences between the different kinds of alnico magnet. If you're comparing two guitars and every single thing about them is 100% identical except for the magnets, you will notice a difference in tone and you can say that difference is down to those magnets. But you can't get guitars that are that similar to each other in the first place and even if you did you would never notice those differences once you actually start playing.
When I'm choosing pickups for a guitar I will pick a specific type of magnet because I know what the differences are and because I want to tweak the tone of the guitar a particular way. But when I'm playing, nobody in the audience knows or cares whether I'm using A2 magnets or A5 or ceramic or anything else. If I'm sat putting down a demo track in a studio then yes, I will worry about what magnet is in my pickups, but 99% of the people who hear the track won't give a damn or hear any difference.
Stop using 3 question marks. Okay???
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
The amp youre using shapes the tone much more than pickups do, and some people might say even more than the guitar (I agree with this. Please do not start the tone factors war again

*enters bunker*)
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by Dr Sixstring
Stop using 3 question marks. Okay???

Why does it matter???
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.