I'm trying to learn blues riffs. Ive always played metal in the past. I play an esp ltd-256 with a line 6 pod 2.0. I cant seem to get the SRV sound that Im looking for. Can anyone offer suggestion as to which effects and cabinet styles I should dial-up to get his kind of sound?
If you're looking for that glassy kind of sound, you'll have a hard time getting it with humbuckers. Single coils are an almost necessary ingredient to get a similar tone.

I say, just play with a tone that sounds good to you.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
The easiest way to get his sound is to use a fender amp with a tubescreamer. In terms of tone, the closest I can get is having the lows and highs around "6" and the mids at 8 or 9. Using single coils or P-90's at least.

He used a lesley cabinet effect a lot too IIRC. I don't know how useful this'll be to you, but good luck anyhow.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
My bridge pick-up has a coil-tap so i have one single coil in a sense. I dont know if it is actually the same as a true single coil though.
Quote by psychasmic
My bridge pick-up has a coil-tap so i have one single coil in a sense. I dont know if it is actually the same as a true single coil though.

I don't believe you can get those neck/middle and bridge/middle tones though. You could try to fiddle around with your presets. As suggested, you can try Fender patches and an OD to replicate the tone.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by psychasmic
Line 6

Well there's your problem
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
I'm familiar with your modeling program. Use the Fender Blackface model in there, Tubescreamer, and EQ so that your bass is a little poppier in the mix. It'll get you close, but it's still going to be more than a stone's throw from his sound.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by psychasmic

It's not even in the same league, much less the same ballpark. The magnets and construction are too fundamentally different; the PAF style Humbucker in your LTD has a single bar magnet (in coil-split mode), while a Strat like Stevie's has six individual magnets per pickup, one for each pole piece. Also, you won't be able to get the 2 and 4 position sounds (the Bridge/Middle and Middle/Neck) on your LTD, something that was common in SRV's playing.

EDIT: Also, IIRC, for a majority of his recordings, SRV used a setup similar to this:

Strat -> Vox Wah -> TS808/TS9 Tube Screamer -> TS808/TS9 Tube Screamer -> Fender Twin Reverb/Super Reverb (+ Treble booster, Fuzz Face or Leslie depending on the song)

If that helps you at all.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Apr 13, 2012,
Quote by kangaxxter
It's not even in the same league, much less the same ballpark. The magnets and construction are too fundamentally different; the PAF style Humbucker in your LTD has a single bar magnet (in coil-split mode), while a Strat like Stevie's has six individual magnets per pickup, one for each pole piece. Also, you won't be able to get the 2 and 4 position sounds (the Bridge/Middle and Middle/Neck) on your LTD, something that was common in SRV's playing.

EDIT: Also, IIRC, for a majority of his recordings, SRV used a setup similar to this:

Strat -> Vox Wah -> TS808/TS9 Tube Screamer -> TS808/TS9 Tube Screamer -> Fender Twin Reverb/Super Reverb (+ Treble booster, Fuzz Face or Leslie depending on the song)
If that helps you at all.
wait.. your saying he used not one but TWO tubescreamer pedals? Does that work?

(someone somewhere is thinking he should just have one pedal that goes to 11)
he of tranquil mind
Quote by fishmike

Yes, he cascaded on into the other. It wasn't every song, though, just when he needed to push his Fenders more than they'd normally give. He'd also use two Wahs as well.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by fishmike

Well, you plug one into the other, and then into the amp. He only used them to get the tubes glowing.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER