Fact of the day: Sonic Booms caused by objects travelling faster than speed of sound

I'm sure a lot of UK UGers have been aware of the massive "thunderclap" sound that happened last nite. It was actually the sound made by an RAF Typhoon when it travelled faster than the speed of sound responding to an emergency (but accidental) signal from a Helicopter. The sound produced is known as a Sonic Boom - and no, that's not what happens when you pretend to be Guille.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWGLAAYdbbc&list - Sonic Boom display. I like the first comment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-17699357 - What happened last nite

I never knew of this and to help make everyone's day a little more productive in learning, I am now sharing this piece of information.

I think I heard this from London as well. It was around 6pm (which was exactly when the Sonic Boom was heard) and I heard this masssssive thunderclap sound. It was thundering a lot last nite as well so I'm not sure but it was the loundest thunderclap I have ever heard. I was actually having a light nap in my bedroom which happens to be beside a window so it was pretty loud. I woke up thinking, "what the hell was that?!".

Quote by BBC NEWS
A data entry error by a helicopter pilot led to two Typhoon aircraft being scrambled in an emergency response.

A loud bang was heard across parts of England at about 18:10 BST on Thursday.

The MoD revealed it was a boom from a Typhoon authorised to go at supersonic speed while responding to an emergency call from a helicopter.

It confirmed that the helicopter pilot had transmitted the wrong signal by mistake. A flight instructor said the signal may have suggested a hijacking.

Really cool though.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Apr 13, 2012,
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls

On a serious note, that's actually really cool. I wonder what it would have been like to have been doing my own thing and suddenly I hear this loud clap sound and then read up what it was the day after.
EDIT: ^ dammit, ostrich, ja ninja.

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Apr 13, 2012,
I used to get woken up by these when the space shuttle came back from the ISS. It was very inconsiderate of them to come back at 8am on a saturday.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
There are seriously people that don't know what a sonic boom is?

Really?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by CG Man16
I used to get woken up by these when the space shuttle came back from the ISS. It was very inconsiderate of them to come back at 8am on a saturday.

Well, you're saved that now.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by Arby911

Really?

>Europe

Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Quote by Arby911

Really?

That was my first thought.
I don't understand how "scrambling" four jets would stop a hijacking..

What are they gonna do? Shoot the plane down?
Quote by sam b

That's what movies tell me.
Quote by Diemon Dave
I know what a sonic boom is TS. But thank you for telling me your fact of the day.
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
Quote by sam b
What's the point of that? That'll just guarantee everyone on board would die

Yes, but for about 10 years, security services around the world think all terrorists have a boner for crashing hijacked aircraft into populated areas for some reason.
Everyone on board dead is considered a better outcome than everyone on board, and a whole assload of people just going about their business on the ground dead.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Yes, but for about 10 years, security services around the world think all terrorists have a boner for crashing hijacked aircraft into populated areas for some reason.
Everyone on board dead is considered a better outcome than everyone on board, and a whole assload of people just going about their business on the ground dead.

Yeah.. I dunno why I thought of/remembered that

Brain fart
here in the us i heard 2 on 9/11. was very loud . I think i heard later it was 2 jets going to dc
iron FUCKING maiden!!!
Quote by behind_you

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by sam b

If necessary, yes.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
What bang? The UK is quite large, a sonic boom from a jet, ain't.
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

Quote by Arby911

Really?

My first thought too.

Seriously?

And what the hell were the jet's going to do to stop a hijacking?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Arby911

Really?

I was going to say. This is a pretty common scientific term/Phenomenon(is that the right word?)
Quote by Arby911

Really?

This.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by Arby911

Really?

Lots of people know what they are, just not what they sound like. So it was a surprise.
Quote by JackalUK
Lots of people know what they are, just not what they sound like. So it was a surprise.

Surely everyone has heard thunder?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
A random single crack in the middle of the afternoon with no storm. I'd be wondering what it was. Especially as jets going mach 1+ isn't exactly normal in the UK.