Page 1 of 3
Just looking for opinions here. I really want to join up, I'm planning on enlisting this week. Have been considering it ever since I graduated high school in 09, and have been planning on it for a year now. My daughter turns 1 year this April. Don't know if the pit has any military in it, but what do you guys think? Is it a good decision, selfish and bad decision, straight bad decision... etc.

Just a little background - college sucks. I don't have time to study or do homework and when I do, I'm overrun with feelings of futility because school work is little but pointless and cyclical (not looking for a debate here). Home life is boring, monotonous, and disengaging. I have little social life. All jobs are dead ends, pay too little, or require more skill.

Please, I am not looking for things I should have or shouldn't have done. What have you guys got for me?
UG's condensed package of adrenaline

i am not liable for anything stated above
▼ but he is ▼
Military life is hard on family.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by jakesmellspoo
sounds like you're thinking of joining for the wrong reasons.

What are the 'right' reasons?
Charles Darwin
Quote by jakesmellspoo
sounds like you're thinking of joining for the wrong reasons.
I agree with this statement. This is like last week's episode of Mad Men. Help your wife/girlfriend/whoever raise your daughter. Change majors if homework is that disengaging.
Quote by Arby911
What are the 'right' reasons?

money, travel, security, respect, social life, healthcare, jobs, excitment, give back to country... pretty much every reason there is to join the army, ive got it. You know 1/3 of all presidents had military experience? Also I get access too jobs within fbi, cia, ss... with an accounting job in the army i can go anywhere.

▼ but he is ▼
Don't leave a kid that young without a Dad for long periods of time. Just don't. You'll regret it later. And let's be brutally honest, you could be leaving her without a dad forever because you don't like College. I couldn't leave my kid like that.
Title made me think of someone disguising their child as a grown-up so they join the military together. Or hiding a baby in a backpack.

Maybe in the middle of a battle he has to stop to change the kid's diapers.

That's gold, I'm writing this down.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by itsxsteves
money, travel, security, respect, social life, healthcare, jobs, excitment, give back to country... pretty much every reason there is to join the army, ive got it. You know 1/3 of all presidents had military experience? Also I get access too jobs within fbi, cia, ss... with an accounting job in the army i can go anywhere.

I don't disagree with you, my point to the other poster was simply that your reasons are your own, and his take on them is immaterial.

I'm former military, and enjoyed it as a single man, but saw it cause a lot a family problems.
Charles Darwin
If you are a single parent you cannot join.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by itsxsteves

yeah, not very good reasons. most people i know that have joined the military did so for shitty reasons. it sounds like you're justifying to yourself more than anyone else.

at least you didn't say Call of Duty.
It'll be a good decision in my opinion. People replying are basing their answers on TV shows and basically the family situation, which you will still be there for them.

Military men are the most respected members of the community and like you said, opens a wide range of future career possibilities. I know I regret some of the decisions I went against, so you won't want to live with the feeling of regret.

Go for it.
I have a friend who joined the US Army because he wanted to be able to provide his infant son with healthcare and financial security. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but your post makes it sound like you're joining because you're bored. Bored with home, bored with work, bored with family, bored with school. I'm not saying that the Army won't solve some or all of that, but maybe you could find a better alternative.

It is, however, encouraging that you seem to have spent a lot of time considering your decision. Good luck!
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
Military men are the most respected members of the community

That really depends on the community, don't you think? I for one don't respect military men or anything to do with war.

However, don't join, a child needs a father.
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

Quote by Jackal58
If you are a single parent you cannot join.

I am not and Im very farmiliar with all the rules

▼ but he is ▼
I think that you should join if it leads to a better income! Better income would mean that you would be able to support your family better in the future! So join if you really want to!
Well that's my opinion at least!
Quote by maroon5mustdie
I have a friend who joined the US Army because he wanted to be able to provide his infant son with healthcare and financial security. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but your post makes it sound like you're joining because you're bored. Bored with home, bored with work, bored with family, bored with school. I'm not saying that the Army won't solve some or all of that, but maybe you could find a better alternative.

It is, however, encouraging that you seem to have spent a lot of time considering your decision. Good luck!

Exactly the impression I got. I think you have reevaluate your situation if it's in that case. Now I'm not sure if you're a single parent but the little girl is only going to continue to grow. Kids around 3-5 are a lot to handle, so I wouldn't worry so much if that's the problem you're having.
As for the work aspect, you have to think a bit outside of yourself and see that people are in the same position (of work) that you are. Maybe change your study habits, or get some help from classmates - everything can be turned into being entertaining. If it's not too late, change up your classes.

In essence, I think you're just going through a phase at the moment. If it's something you've considered and are almost certain will be foolproof, then go ahead. We're all here to offer advice

Sorry for the long ass post =_=
^^ Hahah, I'm just kidding.. or am I?

Don't click this.
Quote by itsxsteves

Are you married?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by itsxsteves

Again, a good incentive is financial security as previously mentioned. In addition to this it can cut costs at higher education institutions, atleast from what I understood when recruits came for the Canadian Forces to my school. Most communities respect military men. You might not agree with the war but the sacrifice is admirable and people won't don't respect the military shouldn't receive any respect from anyone in my opinion. You're unlikely to meet many people like that.
Don't do it. Won't somebody think of the children?!

Joining the army because college sucks? Wow that's a new one.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Apr 13, 2012,
Quote by willT08
Don't leave a kid that young without a Dad for long periods of time. Just don't. You'll regret it later. And let's be brutally honest, you could be leaving her without a dad forever because you don't like College. I couldn't leave my kid like that.

This.

Also, if you're looking to create opportunities for yourself outside the military by signing up, I'd suggest Air Force or Navy before the Army. I don't honestly know much about the Navy, but I know they generally take pretty good care of their people. Air Force is very big on education, so you'll be able to get a degree while you're in so that you can go work for government agencies like you say you'd like to. The Air Force also has a ton of programs to help take care of your family when/if you deploy.

Really think about what you're doing before you do it. It's a commitment. You might join on a whim, but if you get in and find out you don't like it, you sure as hell aren't getting out on one. Be honest with yourself, too. If you can't commit to a college course that you can ditch and ignore all you like, can you really commit to a job that will completely change your lifestyle for four to six years?

EDIT:
Oh yeah, and if you think you've done some pointless busy work in school, just wait until you join the military. It definitely has its moments, but don't go around believing the commercials.
Last edited by madbasslover at Apr 13, 2012,
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
Military men are the most respected members of the community

this is what i mean when i say wrong reasons. i can't think of anyone i know that joined the army that i respect because they did it for stupid reasons and are stupid people to begin with.

joining the army because you think it'll earn you respect makes you a dick and undeserving of respect.
Thread title sounds like if Al Bundy got drafted.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Jackal58
Are you married?

I am.

Quote by maroon5mustdie

Its not that I am bored. I am. But it is a chance to live life and take risks during a lifestyle of not living life and not taking risks. I can learn skills, learn discipline, become something. I am not making any progress here. Would you rather have a father who delivered pizzas until you were in school, and had to use govt support to sustain the family? Or a father who did what he needed to do to make sure everybody in the family lived the best life possible, even at that ultimate risk?

▼ but he is ▼
Quote by jakesmellspoo
this is what i mean when i say wrong reasons. i can't think of anyone i know that joined the army that i respect because they did it for stupid reasons and are stupid people to begin with.

joining the army because you think it'll earn you respect makes you a dick and undeserving of respect.

You're honestly worthless. Hypocritical bigot.

I agree with the notion that you should look into the Navy or Airforce, overall this is a good decision if you want to be able to provide well for your family.

EDIT: In all honestly, it doesn't matter if you're bored or not, the question is whether you will enjoy your lifestyle choice. I'd rather have a brilliant lawyer who is in it for the wrong reasons than an average lawyer in it for the right reasons. Right and wrong are social constructs that shouldn't have impact on your personal beliefs or decisions. It's up to you what you believe is right or wrong, and providing for your family while being happy is a right reason in my books.

Quote by jakesmellspoo
how am i a hypocritical bigot?

^you do what you gotta do, TS. no disrespect from me.

You disagree with his reasons and said you have no respect for military men who make stupid decisions. You're displaying hypocrisy in this post alone.
Last edited by Kurt-Corgan at Apr 13, 2012,
Quote by jakesmellspoo

joining the army because you think it'll earn you respect makes you [less respectable than others] a dick and undeserving of respect.

I actually agree. I thought the army men to be fools of government jurisdiction. I believe now, after meeting so many, that soldiers are good people, and that they do deserve respect regardless of why they joined. Some soldiers are bad, but I would like to be a soldier that helps people. My #1 desire is to help countries hurt by things like natural disasters, helping rebuild countries and people. The army is really something else.

▼ but he is ▼
Last edited by itsxsteves at Apr 13, 2012,
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
You're honestly worthless. Hypocritical bigot.

I agree with the notion that you should look into the Navy or Airforce, overall this is a good decision if you want to be able to provide well for your family.

how am i a hypocritical bigot?

^you do what you gotta do, TS. no disrespect from me.
Last edited by jakesmellspoo at Apr 13, 2012,
Quote by itsxsteves
I am.

Its not that I am bored. I am. But it is a chance to live life and take risks during a lifestyle of not living life and not taking risks. I can learn skills, learn discipline, become something. I am not making any progress here. Would you rather have a father who delivered pizzas until you were in school, and had to use govt support to sustain the family? Or a father who did what he needed to do to make sure everybody in the family lived the best life possible, even at that ultimate risk?

I'd prefer to live with less money but with a father who was alive.
Your daughter is 1 years old. Are you willing to risk her being without a father for the rest of her life? I don't think she'd want that over any money you can earn from the military really.
Are you really that daft?
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Apr 13, 2012,
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
I'd prefer to live with less money but with a father who was alive.

Are you really that daft?

Most jobs in the military don't see combat. Even in a deployed environment where the threat level is drastically heightened, unless he's in a combat field or on a convoy he's probably not going to be in any kind of life-threatening danger.
Quote by madbasslover
This.

Also, if you're looking to create opportunities for yourself outside the military by signing up, I'd suggest Air Force or Navy before the Army. I don't honestly know much about the Navy, but I know they generally take pretty good care of their people. Air Force is very big on education, so you'll be able to get a degree while you're in so that you can go work for government agencies like you say you'd like to. The Air Force also has a ton of programs to help take care of your family when/if you deploy.

Really think about what you're doing before you do it. It's a commitment. You might join on a whim, but if you get in and find out you don't like it, you sure as hell aren't getting out on one. Be honest with yourself, too. If you can't commit to a college course that you can ditch and ignore all you like, can you really commit to a job that will completely change your lifestyle for four to six years?

EDIT:
Oh yeah, and if you think you've done some pointless busy work in school, just wait until you join the military. It definitely has its moments, but don't go around believing the commercials.

good post. My first pick was the air force, but due to their dependent allowance and the high volume of applicants my waiver is unlikely to be approved. I could always try though, it is the only branch of military that offers pararescue.

▼ but he is ▼
Quote by itsxsteves
good post. My first pick was the air force, but due to their dependent allowance and the high volume of applicants my waiver is unlikely to be approved. I could always try though, it is the only branch of military that offers pararescue.

Fuck the Chair Farce.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by madbasslover
Most jobs in the military don't see combat. Even in a deployed environment where the threat level is drastically heightened, unless he's in a combat field or on a convoy he's probably not going to be in any kind of life-threatening danger.

this is also a big factor in joining. i would be in a base nearly the whole time unless i was attacked, which is very uncommon (or so i read).

▼ but he is ▼
Quote by itsxsteves
I am.

Isn't that what delivering pizzas does? Sure, you may not have a shiny job title but it does provide the same financially.
The risk is all your choice.
^^ Hahah, I'm just kidding.. or am I?

Don't click this.
You'd really bail on your family like that? Sure Skype is great, but it's still a cheap substitute for the real thing. Also this line: "I'm overrun with feelings of futility because school work is little but pointless and cyclical" sounds like what you'd say after a week in the military of doing the same kind of thing over and over. It's not really meant to be fun.
Quote by itsxsteves

You should really look into other forums, because Ultimate-Guitar is mostly populated by teenage boys who sit in the rooms behind a computer screen frustrated due to their inability to interact with other people.

Talk to some veterans locally, their opinions and advice will be invaluable in your decision.

EDIT:

Quote by Dash49
Isn't that what delivering pizzas does? Sure, you may not have a shiny job title but it does provide the same financially.
The risk is all your choice.

Did you just seriously compare the financial security of pizza delivering to being in the military?
Last edited by Kurt-Corgan at Apr 13, 2012,
Quote by itsxsteves
this is also a big factor in joining. i would be in a base nearly the whole time unless i was attacked, which is very uncommon (or so i read).

Quote by itsxsteves

If you want to be safe inside the wire, why would you consider pararescue? That shit is insanely dangerous.

EDIT:
Also, this:
Quote by captaincrunk
"I'm overrun with feelings of futility because school work is little but pointless and cyclical" sounds like what you'd say after a week in the military of doing the same kind of thing over and over. It's not really meant to be fun.

Your average military job is like any other, but in a uniform and with commitments that don't end when you leave work for the day. I too joined expecting a grand adventure. I lucked out because I've ended up enjoying it anyways, but really on a day-to-day basis it's not as exciting as I think you're hoping it will be.
Last edited by madbasslover at Apr 13, 2012,
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
You should really look into other forums, because Ultimate-Guitar is mostly populated by teenage boys who sit in the rooms behind a computer screen frustrated due to their inability to interact with other people.

Talk to some veterans locally, their opinions and advice will be invaluable in your decision.

veterans... the homeless or the outspoken? lol

and to dash 49, the average military salary is 48K. my salary is about 15 (when you add in other jobs.)

▼ but he is ▼
Quote by madbasslover
If you want to be safe inside the wire, why would you consider pararescue? That shit is insanely dangerous.

it just seems like something that is worth the risk. id much rather be saving the needy than attacking the dangerous.

▼ but he is ▼
Page 1 of 3