Howdy all, I've been wanting a V-shaped guitar for some time now, and have also been pondering getting a 7-string -- so why not combine the two?

I've always heard that ESP is a high quality brand, but I haven't played many. I've only owned low to midrange quality guitars in my 14 years of playing. Here is the guitar I'm looking at:

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/ltd-standard-deluxe/v-307.html

Other than it looking BADASS, what can you tell me about it?

I'm not really sure I need a 7-string; I'm not a real fan of ultra-low tuning such as Drop-A, F, but who knows, maybe if I had the right guitar I'd like it. The low 7th string is normally tuned to B, right? That's probably as low as I'd ever tune. I just thought maybe a 7-string would be more appropriate for moderately low tunings than trying to make a 6-string do it. I currently tune to D-standard on my Epiphone, and occasionally drop-C - but it starts to get muddy below that.

Please convince me one way or the other!

Edit: I should also mention my playing style:

Predominantly thrashy black metal, and occasionally death metal -- lots of tremelo picking over chords, galloping, and tremelo picking lead lines. I'm not a shredder, nor do I want to be. I try to fill as much space as I can with one guitar, much like Abbath from Immortal, one of my main influences.
Last edited by KailM at Apr 13, 2012,
Well, LTD is pretty good in my opinion, so it wouldn't hurt. And you are correct. Standard 7 string tuning is B-E-A-D-G-B-E, although you can purchase a set of strings from 4+ octave and tune it to E-A-D-G-B-E-A.

Last but not least in my post, BUY IT ALREADY! Spec-wise, everything is already on that page.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
7 string for black metal, let alone first gen black metal? o.o

Strange.

In my opinion, I like the LTDs, but LTD 7 strings tend to be a little more... expensive than I want them to be.

I'd recommend Ibanez 7321 and swapping the pickups. You'll save ~$200
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Jackson Stars Kelly "Aiko"
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
EVH 5153
Quote by jeleopard
7 string for black metal, let alone first gen black metal? o.o

Strange.

In my opinion, I like the LTDs, but LTD 7 strings tend to be a little more... expensive than I want them to be.

I'd recommend Ibanez 7321 and swapping the pickups. You'll save ~$200

Well, I should say I'm trying to blend the styles together in my music, sort of a combination of thrash/black/death, or at least black metal with a little more low-end to it, lol. I'm really trying to come up with my own niche of music, not sound like any one particular genre. Though I really won't be using the 7-string to sound like a lot of the metalcore/death-core bands -- that's not my cup of tea. I could probably do everything I want to do with a 6-string tuned to C standard/drop B. But the extended range of a 7 might be just the ticket...
i would go for the 7 string V that gibson makes
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Id like to read about its long term durability, ive wanted this guitar for years but haven't bitten because its made in china, I had a Chinese Yamaha acoustic that was made in china ( I didn't know it was Chinese when I bought it even tho I got a killer deal on it, wonder why?!?!?!?!?!?!? )and it was horrible , when I first brought it home I did my first string change and had to tighten the machine head on it and id only owned it for30 minutes and ive never had t do that on any other guitar ive ever owned, be it made in Indonesia ,korea ,mexico, wherever, never had that problem , so if I could get some input from someone whos had one of these for a year or more id be extremely grateful.

horns up \m/
Chinese can make quality instruments these days. And so far LTD has not fallen in same trap as BC Rich did and apparently Jackson lately too, not giving a shit about the quality of their low end instruments.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3