Page 1 of 3
Si mos of us started out on pretty crappy solid state amps when we first started playing. What was it and how much was it?

My first amp was an atrocious ibanez amp with an 8" or 6" speaker that didnt even have a clean channel that came in my frst guitar bundle.

The first amp I actually bought was my Line 6 Spider III 75w. Originally paid 500$ for it That was before any hate for spiders spawned and the IIIs were very new tho. Since then Ive owned a peavey 6534+, 2 diferent mesa cabs, and a POD
My first amp was a tiny little 1w amp I got from eBay for about a tenner. It had a 4" speaker and sounded absolutely atrocious, I didn't even have an electric guitar, I played a very old electro acoustic through it. And, to make matters worse, I ten bought a Marshall MS-2 and a patch cable and wired the two damn things together using the headphone out jack. It was like a micro stack of death! :')
Gibson SG
Peavey 6505
Jet City JCA20H
Mesa 2x12

"They found her body, face down dead in the rain,
Such a shame,
Such a pretty face, never should have felt this pain"
Black Stone Cherry <3
first amp fender power chorus. it still sounds great even when i play metal.
Internet trolls are like sap in trees. sticky and annoying, but good on pancakes.
My first amp was a Rocktron Rampage R10. I seem to remember it being either $99 or $119 new. I traded it in a year later when buying a Cube 30. I think I got $10 or $20, and I couldn't have been happier to be rid of it.
Quote by Roc8995
My first amp was a Rocktron Rampage R10. I seem to remember it being either $99 or $119 new. I traded it in a year later when buying a Cube 30. I think I got $10 or $20, and I couldn't have been happier to be rid of it.

Wut u got gainst the r10?
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Apr 13, 2012,
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Wut u got gainst the r10?

It's a terrible amp that was made as cheaply as possible for beginners who don't know what an amp is supposed to sound like.
One of the original Orange Crush practice amps. Thought it sounded god like at the time. Now, once every six months or so when I decide to plug in, it blows my mind how I could have ever thought that it was good.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
I got a Marshall MG15 that came with a marshall rocket special guitar. Bought them both for £200. Then sold them both 4-5 years later for £50 each
Guitars
Fender Stratocaster HSS
Vintage V99CS
Eastwood Acoustic

Amps and Pedals
Blackstar HT-5R Stack
Digitech Bad Monkey
Korg PitchBlack

Quote by Roc8995
It's a terrible amp that was made as cheaply as possible for beginners who don't know what an amp is supposed to sound like.

Wasn't that the point?
My first amp was a tube amp.

An oldschool Fender Champ Amp. Single channel (clean). Volume, treble, bass knobs. That's it. :P
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Jackson Stars Kelly "Aiko"
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
EVH 5153
Battery powered Marshall Mini Stack. Gift from Parents, I think they are like 30 bucks.
Last edited by J_W at Apr 13, 2012,
Came with my started pack with my Squier that my dad bought me. I think it was like $200 all together. I still use it for my bass until I get a real bass amp.
Had one of those lame starter bundle things for like 2 years.

Then I got a Line6 Spider III. Paid £80. Despite it being shit - without that thing, I probably wouldn't play guitar still. It's awfully brilliant Insane channel made everything I played sound like metal and I loved that. Then after like a two and a half years with it, I decided to move on because I knew it was shit and I wanted something to gig with.

So I sold it to my best friend for £30 and a Surround sound speaker set.

Winnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.
Blackstar HT-5 mini-stack
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978
If you're just playing at home or with friends, do it dude. Chicks dig stacks! Crank out some Metallica and do a couple of single moms!

I ask many questions.
Last edited by Into Exile at Apr 13, 2012,
Got a Spider III for like $200 or something new. That shit got old in almost 4 months. Then I bought my first legit amp on CL, a Peavey 212 Transtube for $100. Footswitch and all.

Still use the speakers with my amp set up now, the power amp crapped out so I took everything out of the cab except the speakers. They're not too bad.
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Sears amp

*pic*

Found in my basement. ...... Free.

Was that the one that spontaneously combusted?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
A squire fron man for 30 bucks.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Actually 311, I thought you lit that thing on fire?
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.

$400. Was used but in as new condition. Gigged with it for the next 10 years or so.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It served me well for many years. Bloody loud. I describe them as an angry JC120. Straight forward Yamaha stuff. Socketed output trannies too - how often do you see that? Yamaha makes good shit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Brainpolice2
Re: The Yamaha. Those actually aren't that bad for a solid state amp (I know someone who uses it as an alternative to their main amp). Some jazz guys actually prefer them.

Oh my god, a good solid state amp?! No way!
Quote by Cathbard
It served me well for many years. Bloody loud. I describe them as an angry JC120. Straight forward Yamaha stuff. Socketed output trannies too - how often do you see that? Yamaha makes good shit.

Socketed output trannies? That's freakin' awesome! How does that work though? Both of my ACC amps have their output trannies attached directly to the heatsink so that they can dissipate heat. Don't they always need to cool down?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
They mount to the outside of the heatsink like normal with a little metal guard over them. Instead of being soldered to the board or fly leads there is a socket. You can change them without pulling out the chassis or touching a soldering iron. Pretty cool.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 14, 2012,
Quote by iwannabesedated
I had a Peavey Vypyr 15. $80

Wasn't bad.

Same. Still have it, hahahaha
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
One of those very generic package amps with an even more generic Strat (black, of course), but later on I got a Cube 30x, which was good, until it decided to eat one of my cables and not give it back.
Peavey Vypyr 75W + Sanpera 1 for £100, I did have a Kustom 16S or something before that but it came with a guitar I bought so it doesn't count
I got a Marshall 15DFX. It doesn't sound THAT bad for bedroom practice. Now onto my Laney VC30. Singer in the band has a 15DFX and he's bought it along a couple of times to practice for shits and giggles, my amp on about 2 drowns it out completely haha. All in all, it's not a terrible amp, doesn't sound that bad, perfect for home use, and could probably had cheap.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL
Custom 2x12 G12H Extension Cab

Nevermind.........
$110 new for a Kustom 12-Gauge (12 watt x 12" speaker). I have a music corner in the living room and my other amps are too big and ugly. The Kustom looks good, small for a 1x12, and can be easily tucked away but it does sound kinda shitty.
EBMM JP6, EBMM Bongo Bass 5-string, Heritage H140CM, ESP Tele Copy, ESP P-Bass Copy, ESP Maverick, Fender HM Strat, Ibanez ST-55, Epiphone Broadway, Taylor 310, Seagull S-12, Musicman Sixty-Five Reverb, Fender HRD, Ampeg B-25B
a silvertoneIII 10w amp. sounds like crap. got it for 10 bucks.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
A Park by Marshall G10 MKII, its still my main amp.......nearly 4 years later. it has only a contour knob for eq a drive switch(which is always on because its super quiet otherwise) and the distortion is horrid(solved with a boss ds-2). i hate this thing but i could never part with it . I got it for free as a gift with my first guitar which i still play(they weren't a package)
Last edited by PeaveyPredatorX at Apr 14, 2012,
first i had one of thoes squire amps that comes with the starter pack, then i got a marshall mg30efx, paid $300 AUD used for it, its okay for bedroom use...okay >.>
Ibanez RG470AHZ
Squire Strat
Walden G630CE

Blackstar HT-40
Marshal MG30FX

OFFICIALLY A 'BEAUTIFUL PERSON'
Peavey Rage 158 for $40. Sounded so fizzy, but the OT crapped out and i got my tube amp a year later.
first amp was a gorilla.. upgraded to my Randall RG 100es like 2 years later.. mated the Randall with an old ampeg 4X12 and loaded it with 80 watt cellestians
#1 2001 MII Jackson DK-2
#2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire
#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe
#4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson
#5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special
#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
Some Marshall MG and 412 cabinet, didn't sound too bad, but I'm glad it's gone.

I got it for free.
Got a Peavey Bandit 112 for free and I still use it when I can't crank a tube amp. It's good.
an early 80's marshall SS amp. paid about $150 for it.

thank god i had a sholz rockman to run into it.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Oh my god, a good solid state amp?! No way!

Yeah, for a SS amp they aren't bad but .......... I still own it and haven't wanted to turn it on for a very long time. It may be good for a SS amp and served me well when I was starting out but it doesn't hold a candle to my other amps.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification