http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbv2vOX71hM
I always thought this version sounded a little cooler than Justin King's original, so I've been using it as guidance in learning the song myself. When I slow it down to half speed with quicktime, I'm noticing that there are a lot percussive sounds coming from his guitar that it doesn't seem like he's actually making.
Two good examples are the intro and at around 0:43 in the video.
In the intro it seems as though there are two percussive hits for every one he actually does. At first I thought the extra hits might be him muting pops, but it doesn't seem like he's even doing any popping there. It's also not his left hand because even though he's hitting it against the fretboard, its not in time with what's heard.
At 0:43 he gets a really cool thumping sound that i just can't figure out...
So it seems like he has a type of reverb that only affects percussive hits and not actual notes... is that possible? Or can anyone explain how he's getting these sounds/what technique he's using.
Thanks

tl;dr: in the link, what's the kid doing in the intro and at 0:43 to get those sounds when it looks like half the hits aren't even coming from him.
I think it's probably on a loop or something. Hard to tell.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Nope he's just fast.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
He's using both of his hands to get those percussive sounds; his first fretting hand finger is slapping the strings, he's slapping the strings with his thumb and finally he's doing a slightly bass-like pop thing with his picking hand fingers.

At least that's how it seems to me, I'm 99.99999% sure it's all him live.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Zaphod, that's what I thought too but when you slow down the intro, you can kinda see that he's not popping. Also the left hand pointer finger isn't in rhythm with the sounds
Quote by woodchops
Zaphod, that's what I thought too but when you slow down the intro, you can kinda see that he's not popping. Also the left hand pointer finger isn't in rhythm with the sounds

He's not doing it with his index finger but he's doing it as far as I can see, watch his middle finger closely. It seems to be in time with what's going on sonically and in the faster moments he's doing a kind of flamenco-like rasgueado-ish type thing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.