Page 1 of 2
Hey guys,

I just bought a Vox AC4TV. I thought it would be cool to have a tube amp at low volume. I kept seeing demos on YouTube of people able to get the tube crunch at low volume with the 1/4W selector.

But mine is really super loud !!!

Even on 1/4W I have to roll the volume nearly all the way down to avoid ear damage when practicing. I can't get any tube overdrive at low volume...

Wasn't that the whole point of the WATT Selector ???

Now all I get is that shitty tone like I'm playing through a cheap bass amp!
I've heard only great reviews on the AC4TV. It has a really solid reputation, so I'm assuming my shitty tone comes from the stock pups from my MIM Standard Strat ?

I mean, I get a better tone from my cheap Warwick bass amp... What's the deal??
I'm not, I'm only using a Jekyll & Hyde by Visual Sound.

But I don't understand... if I want to get a tube crunch tone on 1/4W I can't stay in front of it or my ears will burst! It's insane loud, even louder than my Blues Jr that I had before!
........wut?

Sorry, I meant to say LOLwut???

the pups in your mexi strat should be fine...

Earplugs? Get used to it?? I'm not sure I understand really. Are you saying it's too loud to stand it, or too loud for an apartment/bedroom, etc?
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
are you sure you didnt get ripped off and they gave you a ac30 instead?
casue ive played an ac4...at 1/4 watts it wasnt gving me much ear damage (although i was surprized at how loud it got)
Past 30% volume on 1/4W is unbearable. I can't play that loud next to it. How am I supposed to get tube overdrive ?

On 4W setting shit gets REAL and is as loud as my Blues Jr on jamming volume. I'm not kidding, what is with this amp ???
You are on crack of you think it's a loud amp
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Apr 13, 2012,
hahaha! Okay sure I may be exagerating a bit, but really. Kind of a let down. I though the 1/4W would let me crank the tubes and still have a low volume
It should. the 1/4 watt mode on that amp is super quite.

It's not whisper quiet.

You need like 1/10 of a watt for that.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
But on 1/4 with the volume up it's really loud! unusable for bedroom practice. If I roll down the volume knob on the guitar then I lose the tube crunch
Yeah it's like a loud tv.

way louder then you'd be able to watch tv in the middle of the night.

that's about how loud it is.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Stick it in your dresser or closet or something.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Well, I guess it's time to pack it in and move to a retirement home.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
grow some balls
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

Even super low wattage tube amps won't play at the kind of whisper quiet levels you would get out of a SS amp. Although, if you consider a 1/3rd of a 1/4W amp unbearable, I would certainly question the (over)sensitivity of your ears. I used to run a 50W valve head into a 4x12 cab full blast, volume literally up to 10, that is what I would define as 'loud'.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
thats besides the point. if you want a tube amp at like 1/4 watt all the time, you literally have no clean tone. i mean that should be quiet enough.

last time i played a vox lil night train which i think is 2 watts and less, it was amazing. it was perfect to put the volume know on 10 and dig to get some sexy grit, and bumb down to i think 1.2 watt and get some great overdrive tones.

but dont think that watage = volume. you can crank your ac4 and still get the cops called on you. in fact, you could probably try to gig with it.

is it loud enough to be heard over a drummer? perhaps yes. however, its so small your going to be maxing it out, have no headroom, and NO presense and depth, or bass. you wont cutt through the mix at all, you would just be noise filling the background.

that is why people need bigger amps. there is a certain umph that you get and a presense that literally seems to climb up and over the other instruments. also, lots of big speakers works wonders.
You just think its loud, but youll get used to it....or go to GC and play an AC15. I think I actually hurt my ears.
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
Back when I had my triple rectifier I rolled the volume to the stop once and played for about a minute. I think I may have done permanent hearing damage Now THAT is loud. 150w of eardrum rupturing awesome. You could probably hear it about 3 blocks away.

Volume is something you'll just have to get used to if you like playing guitar through tube amps. They all have a certain sweet spot where they just start sounding great, and it's usually loud.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
yeah they get loud.. my mate had one.

if you got the head and cab, throw a blanket over the cab, but not the head.
if its a combo, stick speakers in front of it.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Quote by rocknroll93
yeah they get loud.. my mate had one.

if you got the head and cab, throw a blanket over the cab, but not the head.
if its a combo, stick speakers in front of it.

Stick speakers in front of it?

I personally didn't think the AC4 was that loud when I played it but I could see how someone would. People sometimes think that with a super low watt amp they crank it up and it will sound CD quality at speaking volumes. I have a 1 watt Blackheart Killer Ant. Through my 212 cab it can get loud'ish
Yeah, loud is subjective. Stick that thing next to a drum kit, then tell me it's loud. I had to turn my mark IV up to about 4-5 on the master to keep up with the drummer I used to jam with. Halfway up the dial on that amp is incredibly loud. Like, you can hear it down the street loud... ears ringing for a day or two loud.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
Now how could one get an awesome tube tone at speaking volume ?

I'm talking about a really great tone like a fantastic tube amp.
umm... maybe a 0.1w amp??

The problem with an amp that quiet is that your speaker really isn't moving much air. It's going to sound kinda thin.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Apr 14, 2012,
wattage does not equal volume! they are separate measurements
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by alans056
Now how could one get an awesome tube tone at speaking volume ?

I'm talking about a really great tone like a fantastic tube amp.

you can't
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by supersac
are you sure you didnt get ripped off and they gave you a ac30 instead?
casue ive played an ac4...at 1/4 watts it wasnt gving me much ear damage (although i was surprized at how loud it got)

Are you sure the buyer got ripped off or the seller?

Quote by lbj273
you can't

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keS2pHFEI0o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYhcpxPOpT0
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Apr 14, 2012,
AC4 is too loud, AC15 hurt another's ears. Wtf is wrong with you pussies??
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by GS LEAD 5

right because the Snax FX sounds exactly like a real tube amp
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

your wattage selector has to be broken.

i hope.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I used to use a pillow in front of it. Get a bigger room, it helps a lot. 1/4 watt is still loud.

At first I thought you were a troll......still not sure.....
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Apr 14, 2012,
Quote by lbj273
right because the Snax FX sounds exactly like a real tube amp

Comes pretty close to the real deal resident tube snob Matrix Claw sold off his Diezel for one, and Reincaster from the DSP thread pushed off his Road King MK1 for an 11R.....
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Comes pretty close to the real deal resident tube snob Matrix Claw sold off his Diezel for one, and Reincaster from the DSP thread pushed off his Road King MK1 for an 11R.....

Colin and Matt both sold theirs off pretty quick.

They aren't for everybody, and they aren't the end all that some people think they are.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by GS LEAD 5

I wouldn't call Matrix Claw a tube snob. He's had good things to say about the Ampeg VH140C, Pod Farm, Peavey Vypyrs, etc etc.

Like Greg said - everyone has different needs and applications. People sometimes use what suits them best for the moment or application.
Page 1 of 2