Poll: Is human euthanasia morally acceptable?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is human euthanasia morally acceptable?
Yes, absolutely.
45 28%
Yes, but only in extreme situtations.
83 51%
I am indifferent/cannot decide.
14 9%
No, it is immoral.
15 9%
Other: explain.
6 4%
Voters: 163.
Page 1 of 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZOorOJdvgLM

Above is a clip of a Dr. Phil show, where a woman wants to claim the right to have a doctor euthanize her severely disabled children.

Obviously there are moral arguments for both sides. One may say that euthanization, no matter what name it's given, is murder. Another will argue that it is an ending to suffering, and the more humane approach.

What are your opinions on the matter? If you were in that parent's shoes, what might you consider?

Poll coming.

edit: I, for one, think that it is acceptable in the most extreme of circumstances. I would not want to watch my own children be slaves within their own bodies. Maybe that view is selfish, I don't know.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Last edited by eGraham at Apr 13, 2012,
Waaaaiting for that poll.
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
Well the one side that claims it is murder tends to see things as black and white imo. They're probably against abortion too. Doesn't matter what the circumstances are, it's murder.

From the video, I would euthanize the kids. It's quite a burden on both the parents and kids (I think). The mother isn't even sure if the kids are aware of most things, so I guess the kids won't even know they're going to be euthanized (if it comes to that).
I honestly don't know. Mental faculty is what entitles people to rights, so if they have none, I'm not sure they should have rights.
PM me for newts
That is some heavy shit but I would probably choose to euthanize them. That looks fucking awful in the video
Quote by vagelier
Nothing is more arousing for girls than a man who claims that he doesn't have worms - and can prove it with conclusive evidence.

Black
Then
White are
All I see
In my infancy
Red and yellow then came to be
Reaching out to me.
Lets me see.
Quote by StewieSwan
I honestly don't know. Mental faculty is what entitles people to rights, so if they have none, I'm not sure they should have rights.

Interesting point, and I, more or less, agree with that view. I think that they, as humans, fundamentally have the same rights as the rest of us. But then the 'humanitarian' aspect of the argument kicks in for me. If I were one of them, I would probably prefer death (if I even had the mental capacity to know what it was).
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

As bad as it is, and contradicts my religion, I would say yes. But only in the most necessary situations. Like if her kid was brain-dead, which led me to Wikipedia this article about permanent/persistent vegetative state.
This legal grey area has led to vocal advocates that those in PVS should be allowed to die. Others are equally determined that, if recovery is at all possible, care should continue. The existence of a small number of diagnosed PVS cases that have eventually resulted in improvement makes defining recovery as "impossible" particularly difficult in a legal sense. This legal and ethical issue raises questions about autonomy, quality of life, appropriate use of resources, the wishes of family members, and professional responsibilities.
I think that if a child is born severely disabled with no forecast of any quality of life and would be a burden to its parents and society it should be quietly smothered at birth and the doctors should tell the parents it was too weak to survive. No one would be any the wiser. Sounds awful but I think it would be the best solution. The body does it's best to get rid of foetus' like this, hence mis-carriages but some are unfortunatley born. In years gone by they would not have survived childbirth but with modern medicine they do.
RPD - Finger Pickin' Good
Probably not. But there have been times I've wanted to kill them.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
If the child, or even a full grown person, will not be able to actually live then I say that it should be legal to euthanize them. That may sound harsh, but if it was a dog or cat that was suffering, and there was no chance for them to get better people can easily get their pets put down. I should know, I've had to do it twice. What makes it any different for a human? If something has no quality of life at all, they are not truly living and are basically a corpse that you have to feed and take care of. Again harsh, but tell me I'm wrong.

To be clear, this is only about people who cannot actually do anything and are not truly aware of their surroundings, not about someone who is in a coma for example, or someone who has become paralyzed and cannot move but is still aware of their surroundings.
Honestly, if I were in the kids position, I really would want my mom to do it.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
I think there can be times with Euthanasia is permissible, but it's one of those things that vary so much case by case in each scenario that I really don't like discussing it broadly and generally.
I think child euthanasia should be compulsory.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Id just do it for the craic tbh
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
I'm only 14, so I really can't say anything about my children because I have none. But if I was in a state like that I would pray for death, because you have nothing to live for anymore it seams. I'd hope my parents would pull the plug on me.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Of course it isn't fucking right

This. This is what I cam here to say.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
I've always said that if I become a burden on society (mentally retarded or severely retarded) that I would want to be killed. It sounds harsh, but I don't see the point in keeping people alive if they're not giving back to society in any way

OT: Yes, I would
Quote by robertsanidiot
Jesus died for their sins. It would be a waste if they just didn't sin it up. If you ask me, it's almost unchristian if you DON'T eat the kiddies.
Quote by StewieSwan
Hahaha you short fuck
Quote by due 07
LOL manlet
Didn't watch the video but yes I would. If they only had the ability to blink for example, and required full time care from me, I would. I don't think that's a life worth living and I'd feel guilty after I died knowing that they would have to be in a care home away from their loved ones.

On the flip side, if I became a vegetable, I'd want my kids to euthanize me.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by Enigmatic564
I've always said that if I become a burden on society (mentally retarded or severely retarded) that I would want to be killed. It sounds harsh, but I don't see the point in keeping people alive if they're not giving back to society in any way

OT: Yes, I would
Unless you literally have to make an effort for somebody to live, which usually isn't the case (I can't think of anyone whose life and existence depend on me), the question isn't why should we keep him alive. He's already alive. It's why ought we deny him of his existence. A person may not contribute a lot to society, but burden is another thing. If a person doesn't contribute to society, nor does he burden anyone, I wouldn't see any point in killing him.
Only if they consented, or more specifically, proposed it. I sure as hell wouldn't kill my child or any other just because they're disabled though. Right to life, and right to death. These are not legal rights to me, but human ones; forced upon them by their birth-givers and unable to be revoked or to revoke anyone else's. We should not be able to take lives based on worths or purposes we give to them. It is the purpose or value that they give to their own lives that counts.

Of course, it becomes a more complex question when factor in certain other extreme cases.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Well the way I look at it personally, is what would you want if you were that person?

Personally I'd rather be dead.
Quote by Bubbles516
Well the way I look at it personally, is what would you want if you were that person?

Personally I'd rather be dead.

But that's a rather selfish approach, because you are focusing on your own feelings rather than acknowledging that not everyone feels the same away about certain situations, this thread being evidence of that fact.
A SIGNATURE.
Quote by DonGlover
But that's a rather selfish approach, because you are focusing on your own feelings rather than acknowledging that not everyone feels the same away about certain situations, this thread being evidence of that fact.

Well what would you want?

I ask that cause I think most everyone would want the same thing.
The "morals and ethics" side of me says "hell no."

The "logical" side of me say "hell yes. Anyone greedy enough to bring a child into a shitty world like this should die too."

Oh, there I go generalizing from my own contempt for everything again...
This is easily the most screwed up question I have ever seen in print.

This is a question no one could possible answer honestly unless they were in the most god awful position imaginable or so emotionally disturbed that they should not be allowed in range of a child, any child.

If you think you can answer this question, you are more messed up than you can imagine.
Quote by Bubbles516
Well what would you want?

I ask that cause I think most everyone would want the same thing.

Until they consent to it or give some sign that it is what the want, then let them live. You can't kill someone on the assumption that they would want to die.
A SIGNATURE.
Quote by DonGlover
Only if they consented, or more specifically, proposed it. I sure as hell wouldn't kill my child or any other just because they're disabled though. Right to life, and right to death. These are not legal rights to me, but human ones; forced upon them by their birth-givers and unable to be revoked or to revoke anyone else's. We should not be able to take lives based on worths or purposes we give to them. It is the purpose or value that they give to their own lives that counts.

Of course, it becomes a more complex question when factor in certain other extreme cases.

My only issue with this is that, as someone else stated, without the use of modern medicine, they would have died a long time ago. Same goes for anyone else with an otherwise survival-crippling ailment.

But that's just my argument from the 'survival of the fittest' standpoint. Given the option, even though I think it would be better for them, I don't think I could kill my children.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

It would be hard if they were already alive. Even if they had limited function, I feel that they have to notice something isn't right about them, or that everyone is different. If I knew my child was still in the womb and was going to have some major disability, I would want an abortion without hesitation.

This world just isn't built for people with disabilities and it seems to me it is somewhat cruel to force them through life here.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Page 1 of 3