So I've been reading around a bit and I'm very curious about 12at7 tubes.

I read that they are more efficient in some way (still not sure what) than 12ax7s, and have a much lower gain rating.

I would like to get more headroom out of my amp, as well as a better rolled off clean tone (via guitar). Would swapping the PI to a 12at7 help in this regard?

--Also, if anyone could explain WHY the 12at7 would be more desirable in the PI (from a design standpoint?), I'd sure appreciate it.

Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
Cath: That is exactly the article that started this! :P I guess some of the terms kind of went over my head...

311: The article mentions the 5751 being much more similar to a 12ax7 than the 12at7. Is there any particular reason you'd select that one over a 12at7?

I may snag a few of both off ebay and see which I prefer (if either).
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
Yes, get some of both for sure. Philips JAN are great 5751s, RCA blackplate Commands are good too. I hear a lot of good about GE 3 mica blackplates as well. There are a ton of good at7s. I have some Philips JANs, some Telefunkens, and some Brimars (my personal fave). You should be able to grab any of these for a fair price ($25 or less a piece) off ebay.

I was going to make a comment about which tubes to use where, but then I read the article and it totally disproved what I was about to say Here's a more educated version of what I was about to suggest: 5751 in V1, 12at7 in PI.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Grab a few different tubes and experiment, it's the only way to know for sure what will happen in your particular case. It's time to start collecting tubes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ This, but be careful, it's addicting!
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Yes, yes it is.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cath, when the Post Your Glass Collection thread was still alive, did you put up any pics of yours? IIRC someone had a monstrous collection, I was thinking it was you.
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
I did but I wouldn't call it monstrous. I have a respectable collection of old tubes and a drawer full of new JJ's but compared to some others my collection is pretty small really.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Quinlan
311: The article mentions the 5751 being much more similar to a 12ax7 than the 12at7. Is there any particular reason you'd select that one over a 12at7?

I may snag a few of both off ebay and see which I prefer (if either).

they are just very musical and clear. I don't have any direct experience with the 12AT7s. Get several different kinds as mentioned.