So, I've been playing guitar for around 10 months now (I first got my guitar in June last year), and I've been having a lot of trouble with alternate picking; I just cant pick one string up and down, in a constant rhythm, if that makes sense. I was just wondering if I should alternate pick this when I'm practising? The tab is as follows:

e|--------------------|
B|--------------------|
G|--------------------|
D|--------------------|
A|---------0-1-0-----|
E|-0-0-3---------3--|

The song is Death To All But Metal - Steel Panther if anyone was wondering.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfB7vF7nCdA&ob=av3e
Last edited by BVBKilljoy at Apr 14, 2012,
it depends on speed, if it's not fast you can downpick it, alternate picking is mainly used where downpicking is too hard or impossible
I use economy picking mostly, and that what I would use there. Unless you want the more aggressive sound of the alternative picking.
Want Sub-Forums For GB&C, CLICK and Comment to Help the Right People Notice.
I'd definitely recommend alternate picking it, in fact, if you can't alternate pick, I wouldn't tackle any new songs until you've drilled it into your head. I don't wanna be 'that guy', but if you haven't got a teacher, try to get one, because alternate picking can be irritating if you try to start it on your own, as can any technique, you really need a teacher who can critique your technique ^_^
I alternate pick that, it works the best for me. Test both alternate and down, see what feels and sounds best to you, then use that.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Yes alternate picking, but be sure to play off beats with up strokes and beats with down. Remain the alternating motion in your right hand even when holding a quarter note by strumming the air.

Here it would be

-0-------0--3--5--6--5--3--0-
up-(d)-up-d-up-d-up-d-up

since it starts on an off beat.
Last edited by Facecut at Apr 15, 2012,
Watch this, Russ shows you have to play it.

http://youtu.be/aBoLWmpy52Y
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by BVBKilljoy
So, I've been playing guitar for around 10 months now (I first got my guitar in June last year), and I've been having a lot of trouble with alternate picking; I just cant pick one string up and down, in a constant rhythm, if that makes sense. I was just wondering if I should alternate pick this when I'm practising? The tab is as follows:

e|--------------------|
B|--------------------|
G|--------------------|
D|--------------------|
A|---------0-1-0-----|
E|-0-0-3---------3--|

The song is Death To All But Metal - Steel Panther if anyone was wondering.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfB7vF7nCdA&ob=av3e

To be honest at that speed it doesn't really matter, it's similar to the Crazy Train riff or Breaking the Law in that you can happily mix it up depending on how you're feeling and it's not going to hamper your ability to play it.

If you watch the video lesson stonyman linked Russ actually says as much himself, there's nothing wrong with chucking in the occasional pull-off. For me personally I'd say alternate picking is probably easier as far as maintaining the rhythm goes, but either way works. Also I love the fact that even though the lesson is a bit tongue-in-cheek it's still actually a brilliant lesson that manages to answer 90% of the questions in GT in one sentence - start slow, gradually bring things up to speed, keep it clean.

Oh, and if you haven't seen them live yet - GO...they're absolutely hilarious live.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com