Recently I have noticed that my alternate picking is generally depending on up-down strokes rather than down-up strokes, is this a problem?
Especially when moving from the from the high E to the low E.
Should I try to change this or what?
Paul Gilbert begins most of his alternate picking phrasing with up strokes.

Whatever works for you. (:
You should not try to change it, if it works for you it´s good. You might want to practice the other way aswell though.

I'm a "down up:er", so i start on a down stroke whenever i can. Though some passages of songs have forced me to start on an upstroke to get them fluid, and this was very hard for me in the beginning since i was used to start on a down.

Short answer, i think you should be able to do both. It can help your playing alot.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Thats great! I think I will practice both then, seems as if they both are handy in different situations as Sickz pointed out.
honestly, the sooner you are comfortable with one as you are the other will help greatly - practice economy picking, which you will then use far more.
Quote by Slashiepie
get proficient at both. problem solved

Took the words right out of my brain
Quote by Sickz
. Though some passages of songs have forced me to start on an upstroke to get them fluid,

+1 definitively get good at both styles. some parts of songs will be played easier and smoother depending on what way you start.
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Quote by Rustee
Paul Gilbert begins most of his alternate picking phrasing with up strokes.

Whatever works for you. (:

He starts some with an upstroke, but most he starts with a down. He prefers outside picking so he starts with an up sometimes so he doesn't have to do inside picking.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
There's really no right or wrong. If it works for you, thats great. But if you can practice both ways, it'll provide greater flexibility with certain techniques and compositions.