So as you can see in my sig I have a Marshall MG amp, and as everyone knows it is not the best amp in the world, so with the fact that I have an interface and some DAW software but no monitors, I thought I wonder if there is a way to get my amp to act as my monitors, and I have done it just using a double ended headphone lead from my mac to the mp3 line on my amp and there we have it.

Finally I can have good sound coming out of my Marshall MG amp, it's brilliant it's a great amp actually, when you're not using any of the built in sounds!
The new MGs are actually pretty sick for a practice amp. Don't be hatin'
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by Sir-Shredalot
MGs are one of the worst things ever to happen in sound.

+1

"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
MGs are one of the worst things ever to happen in sound.

I had one when I was like 14 and it was perfectly good for practicing in my bedroom. Cheap as shit too
Pfft, I had an MG15Something and as a practice amp, it was alright. Wasn't the best, but it got the job done and that was enough for me. When you're paying £60 for an amp, you can't be surprised that it doesn't sound as good as higher end amps.
Haven't run the thing over with a big 4x4 yet TS?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24

UG's condensed package of adrenaline

i am not liable for anything stated above
▼ but he is ▼
Quote by Fisheth24

Bravo lol
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
All MG's are good for practice. But then again, so are keyboard amps with a distortion pedal.
Quote by fearofthemark
The new MGs are actually pretty sick for a practice amp. Don't be hatin'
I remember trying one a while back. Playing some noice blues-drone when I turned the OD on.

Sounded like a bee under a sink.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
I don't know, I think they have decent cleans

Just don't go anywhere near the overdrive button, and your ears will be alright
MGs wouldn't receive any of the hate they currently receive if Marshall were to rebrand them using the Park brand they used to use for their entry level amps (and dropped the price accordingly).

They are good starter amps, but anyone who buys them thinking they are getting a real Marshall is going to be disappointed.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington

They are good starter amps, but anyone who buys them thinking they are getting a real Marshall is going to be disappointed.

I don't know, i know a guy who runs his Gibson LP through a MG stack and he thinks his tone is great. It sucks really hard but he likes it. The EMG's and Dimebag distortion he uses just make it worse.
I have a crappy MG15 amp, it is good for well practice. Poor for distortion...apart from that I got what I paid for.

How to make it sound better? Get a better amp.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
I thought a way to turn an MG into a good amp already existed.

1) Sell it.
2) Buy a good amp.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Quote by WantsLesPaul
I hear there's a crushing overdrive in those things!

No way man. Line 6s have a better crushing and br00tal overdrive!
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Quote by anvil is god
I don't know, i know a guy who runs his Gibson LP through a MG stack and he thinks his tone is great. It sucks really hard but he likes it. The EMG's and Dimebag distortion he uses just make it worse.

If he likes it, nothing else matters.

I had an MG a few years ago, then an AVT for a while. Despite all the hate, both models can make some good noises if you know how to use them. I only got rid of the AVT because I reached a point where I needed more versatility than it offered.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I had and MG head and it was fine, I did use a distortion pedal, but whatever.

I sold it for like 70 dollars, I want a peavey head for my cab that's just sitting here since I don't have a head.
Last edited by stratkat at Apr 14, 2012,
TBH, it's not so much a case of making the MG good, it's more a case of bypassing the bits that make it suck.
I own one, and while I usually just play through a Korg AX3000 and headphones, plugging it inot the MG's CD in lets it just amplify, rather than imparting tone.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by Gorelord666
No way man. Line 6s have a better crushing and br00tal overdrive!

This. The insane channel on the Spider IV is amazing. Perfect amp if you like the heavy stuff like As I Lay Dying, All That Remains, August Burns Red ect. I'm looking to get this or the Peavey Vypyr 30....
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Quote by stealstrings
This. The insane channel on the Spider IV is amazing. Perfect amp if you like the heavy stuff like As I Lay Dying, All That Remains, August Burns Red ect. I'm looking to get this or the Peavey Vypyr 30....

Are you serious?

If you want high gain stuff, just get a Cube.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by GaryBillington
MGs wouldn't receive any of the hate they currently receive if Marshall were to rebrand them using the Park brand they used to use for their entry level amps (and dropped the price accordingly).

There still are all those posers who buy them because of the big Marshall logo on front and then think they're rockstars or something, they have to cover that segment of the market
Quote by stealstrings

What about Asking Alexandria and Nickelback? Can it do it?
Quote by stealstrings

The sad thing is I don't think you are trolling.
Quote by WantsLesPaul
What about Asking Alexandria and Nickelback? Can it do it?

If you mean "can it sound shite", then probably.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'