Thought you guys may like this, if for no other reason than to ridicule me for paying this much (although it came to 2 bills less than the tag shows). So my daughter is visiting for the Easter weekend from NYC where she professionally sings and plays (finger style only) old-timey and country music. She asked to go guitar shopping and although I live in the boonies, there’s a big guitar store nearby with a good selection of vintage. I tried hard - but could not talk her into anything newer. She had recently played the one at Uminov’s in NYC and almost bought it for $500-$600 more.

The one at Uminov’s (a 1936 on the website now) had the same Hawaiian to Spanish conversion done as this one has. If you look closely at the one picture of the one we bought, there’s the original Hawaiian bridge (with a high, flat bone saddle) sitting by the case. I suspect the nut was also changed but other than that, it’s never had any repairs done to it. Lots of battle scars but all superficial wounds. This thing is absolutely the loudest acoustic I’ve ever heard and the tone is incredible. The action is fine and it plays easily. The story goes that the great Robert Johnson also had one of these. If you want to hear an example, check out Tommy Emmanuel playing one of these on “Guitar Boogie” on YouTube. Her’s sounds just like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JAbNmtgBB8

EBMM JP6, EBMM Bongo Bass 5-string, Heritage H140CM, ESP Tele Copy, ESP P-Bass Copy, ESP Maverick, Fender HM Strat, Ibanez ST-55, Epiphone Broadway, Taylor 310, Seagull S-12, Musicman Sixty-Five Reverb, Fender HRD, Ampeg B-25B
Last edited by Mars Rover at Apr 14, 2012,
Quote by stepchildusmc
nice! odd bodystyle. where'd ya find that one?

The green tag shows KG-14 but is probably wrong - I think it's a KHG-14, H for Hawaiian. Umanov has one of both models and is asking $3k for the KG. 12-fret guitars (the 12th fret meets the body) do look a little odd but according to the ad, its the same body style as the Gibson L-00 - and whether it's 12-fret or a 14-fret (like the KG), they are the same standard Gibson scale length and L-00 style.

The one we got was purchased here:
http://www.rainbowmusic.net/default.aspx
EBMM JP6, EBMM Bongo Bass 5-string, Heritage H140CM, ESP Tele Copy, ESP P-Bass Copy, ESP Maverick, Fender HM Strat, Ibanez ST-55, Epiphone Broadway, Taylor 310, Seagull S-12, Musicman Sixty-Five Reverb, Fender HRD, Ampeg B-25B
hey, my husband has a 14-fret 1936 version of that very guitar, and it is a KG-14. i've never seen a 12 fret version before - i guess it started life as an HD. if the guitar sounds great and plays well, the price is about what it should be. i've seen some that cost less, but they didn't sound as good or play as well as the ones around $1700 to $1800. and for that matter, i've seen 'em for more.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Apr 14, 2012,