Page 1 of 2
i vote Nuno Bettencourt, that guys so underated, great songwriter and guitarist! he had a style that took van halen riffs to the next level!

what do you guys think?
Rock N FKn Roll!!!

Own~
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Bc Rich Mocking Bird ST
Kramer Ferrington KFS-2
Epiphone Special Les Paul
Peavey Milestone III Bass
Either Jeff Waters of Annihilator or Emppu Vuorinen of Nightwish. Both definitely underrated guitarists!

EDIT: If this is just 80's then Jeff Waters
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Last edited by leony03 at Apr 14, 2012,
Either Alex Lifeson or Buck Dharma for me! Just listen to Lifeson's solo in the live version Working Man; the guy had Page on all fours in '74!
Nuno, Reb, Dave Meniketti, Frank & Tommy of Tesla
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
There's no such thing as an underrated guitarist. Underknown, maybe, and even that's a stretch.
The more you say 'epic' the less it means.
Harry Cody of Shotgun Messiah, just listen to I Dont Care About Nothin or The Explorer.
CC Deville, he may not be great live but he wrote some great riffs and solos, for some reason he's considered rubbish though.
George Lynch should be as revered as Van Halen, Malmsteen etc, very unique style, incorporated so many different techniques into his solos so they were technically impressive whilst remaining very melodic and catchy. He wrote great riffs aswell.
The lead guitarist in Candlemass during Messiah Marcolin's time was great aswell.
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Eddie Hazel, just check out Games, Dames and Guitar Thangs and Maggot Brain and you'll know what i'm talking about!

Stunning solos, amazing tone.

Simply fascinating player, never achieved the recognition he deserved.
Billy Duffy. It is not possibly to rate him highly enough.

Also, use the search bar - this is basically a duplication of this thread:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1519597
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Slash.

jk.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
All 3 Iron Maiden guitarists. Each has his own unique sound and you can always tell one from the other.
Ritchie Kotzen...if by under rated we're talking great guitarists who did not achieve great commercial success or mainstream appeal despite their incredible skill.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
George Lynch is not underated
Slash is overrated

Brad Whitford (Aerosmith )
Reb Beach (Winger)
Warren DeMartini (Ratt)
Vito Bratta (White Lion)
many more
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Mark Tremonti
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by Dr Sixstring
Slash....... jk.

Good joke.
He can probably win the most OVERrated guitarist.
Quote by andrew625
Good joke.
He can probably win the most OVERrated guitarist.

I'm a big fan of Slash - I'd rate him in my personal favourite top 2, but even I would agree with this.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by madh4ttr
George Lynch is not underated
Slash is overrated

Brad Whitford (Aerosmith )
Reb Beach (Winger)
Warren DeMartini (Ratt)
Vito Bratta (White Lion)
many more

yep, I already stated Slash is way overrated.

Recently went to M3 Festival (if you dont know what it is google it) and Loudness was playing. Never saw them but after seeing them, the are vastly underated.

Arika Takasaki is underated. YOu can go to utube and search roudness (yes, roudness 5/12/12) and see footage of their whole set at m3. while you cant get all the sound and energy that was there, you can see he is amazing guitarist that probably no one really knows about
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Last edited by madh4ttr at May 16, 2012,
Also, Jake E. Lee. He just doesn't get as much recognition for his time with Ozzy as Randy, Zakk and Gus G.
dave murray, adrian smith, janick gers, gary moore, john norum, george lynch, dave meniketti, axel rudi pell, doug scarratt, paul quinn, kk downing, glenn tipton
John Petrucci. Only thing that people see is his speed, they wont realize that he has composed some of the best songs out there and that he has slower, melodic guitar solos that sound extremely beautiful. Theres more to him than just speed.

Also, Kirk Hammet.
Quote by Stephen Quinn
All 3 Iron Maiden guitarists. Each has his own unique sound and you can always tell one from the other.

words of wisdom
Eat online revolutionary ordering system for restaurants
Quote by leony03
Either Jeff Waters of Annihilator or Emppu Vuorinen of Nightwish. Both definitely underrated guitarists!

EDIT: If this is just 80's then Jeff Waters

Emppu's a pretty good player, but he's become rather generic. Since Once it's seemingly the same 3 power chord progression every song. Shame because he wrote some really good stuff in their earlier albums. Astral Romance and Beauty of the Beast are two good examples.
Andy James, Glenn Proudfoot
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Quote by Mr E Meat
eddie van halen

You'd be surprised how many "guitar fans" I know who don't know who he is. If they do, they only know "Eruption" and sometimes will call him the greatest of all time by that one song (which is really just an intro to "You Really Got Me").
Doug Aldrich.

Why isn't he more recognized and famous? He plays killer live solos is just so epic. Maybe its because it has already kind of been done before in a slightly different way by other guitarists??? I guess he isn't really doing anything worthy enough... or being "original" enough....that is what I think.
Travis Stever

What is this that stands before me?

Figure in black that points at me...

FUCKETH THINE SELF
Quote by griffin888
Emppu's a pretty good player, but he's become rather generic. Since Once it's seemingly the same 3 power chord progression every song. Shame because he wrote some really good stuff in their earlier albums. Astral Romance and Beauty of the Beast are two good examples.

He doesn't write most of the material for Nightwish though, that' mainly the keyboard player. Check out Brother Firetribe, Emppu's other band, by all reports they're quite good as well.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Page 1 of 2