Page 1 of 2
I personally think that Jimi Hendrix isn't really that good, at all. I don't get why people suck his dick all the time, he's WAAYYYY overrated. He's like Randy Rhoads where he died too soon to start making shit albums, so he looks like a god...
what are your thoughts?
Quote by Wisthekiller
I agree with what you said about Jimi, but not about Rhoads.

Don't get me wrong, I think Rhoads is great, just not a god like everyone treats him like.
Maybe Jimi's technique ain't that good compared to many guys out there now, but its what he did for the world of guitar playing that makes him so famous. Alot of the big guys out there now has been directly inspired by him or has been inspired from players inspired by him
Quote by ALiG-PK47
Maybe Jimi's technique ain't that good compared to many guys out there now, but its what he did for the world of guitar playing that makes him so famous. Alot of the big guys out there now has been directly inspired by him or has been inspired from players inspired by him

My belief on that is that the "big guys" are just guitar sellouts, and in order to make more money, they pretend like the overrated guitarist are their heros because they'll get more respect and money...
I think the funny thing is that what Jimi was playing was different from most others. But SRV did Hendrix better than Hendrix himself did.
Quote by Sullinger
My belief on that is that the "big guys" are just guitar sellouts, and in order to make more money, they pretend like the overrated guitarist are their heros because they'll get more respect and money...

Well, your belief is stupid.
Gibson SG
Peavey 6505
Jet City JCA20H
Mesa 2x12

"They found her body, face down dead in the rain,
Such a shame,
Such a pretty face, never should have felt this pain"
Black Stone Cherry <3
You forget that Hendrix did it in the sixties.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Regardless of if you feel that way, he still influenced guitar, in my opinion, more than anyone else in the 1960's by far. No one played with the wild, energetic behavior, long extended guitar solos, or crazy use of effects that I'm aware of like that until he came along, and then tons of guitarists did it. Was he the most technically able guitarist? No, and in fact he could be sort of sloppy. But he was extremely creative and inventive. He did have some pretty tough stuff to play though for sure, he certainly was pretty awesome despite the slopiness at points.
Quote by ProphetToJables
You forget that Hendrix did it in the sixties.

True dat, but I think he gets waaayyyy too much credit for what he did do (you shouldn't be able to buy Hendrix posters at Wal-Mart, if you get what I'm saying)
Quote by Thermon
Regardless of if you feel that way, he still influenced guitar, in my opinion, more than anyone else in the 1960's by far. No one played with the wild, energetic behavior, long extended guitar solos, or crazy use of effects that I'm aware of like that until he came along, and then tons of guitarists did it. Was he the most technically able guitarist? No, and in fact he could be sort of sloppy. But he was extremely creative and inventive. He did have some pretty tough stuff to play though for sure, he certainly was pretty awesome despite the slopiness at points.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he didn't do a lot for the guitar, but there are plenty of other unknown guitarist that did more that most people don't know about.
Anyone doubting Hendrix should listen closely to Voodoo Child (Slight Return) loud and to Little wing and realize these songs were recorded in the 60s. Here's what joe satriani has to say about voodoo child "It's just the greatest piece of electric guitar work ever recorded. In fact, the whole song could be considered the holy grail of guitar expression and technique. It is a beacon of humanity."
Last edited by DDOW at Apr 14, 2012,
Quote by DDOW
Anyone doubting Hendrix should listen closely to Voodoo Child (Slight Return) loud and to Little wing and realize these songs were recorded in the 60s.

Yeah, it's a pretty good song, but my point isn't that Hendrix sucks or anything, but that people treat him like a god when he really isn't.
Quote by Sullinger
You're probably just a poser, so gtfo

You seem like dick, but I shall present a reasoned argument none the less.

Your 'belief' is that all big guitar players are sellouts who claim they are influenced by people they are not, in order to gain respect an money. Well I'm sorry, but that's one of the most ignorant statements I have ever heard... Virtually every rock guitar player was influenced in some way by Jimi Hendrix. All the 'big guy's have a respect for Hendrix because, unlike you, they know what they are talking about.

Let's take a 'technically' great guitarist shall we, let's say Yngwie Malmsteen. Now I once heard Malmsteen say in an interview that Hendrixes music was just noise, and not music. Yngwie Malmsteen is an incredible talent, he is litterally astoundingly good. However Mr Malmsteen is also an arrogant, ignorant dick. And on top of that, he does not know when to stop shredding. Watch his video with G3 playing Voodoo Child, he shreds all over the place, all the time, which simply is not musical.

Any other massively inspirational guitarists you'd like to critise? B.B. King maybe? Perhaps you'd like to complain about Brian May? Or Slash?
Gibson SG
Peavey 6505
Jet City JCA20H
Mesa 2x12

Such a shame,
Black Stone Cherry <3
Last edited by AgentOrange... at Apr 14, 2012,
Quote by Sullinger
Yeah, it's a pretty good song, but my point isn't that Hendrix sucks or anything, but that people treat him like a god when he really isn't.

yes but no but yes but no but yes but no, stop bullshitting that man has made more of his live than you will ever be, that while living in the sixties and being black.

many musicians are overrated, many are underrated, we can't do shit about it, and making these profound philosophical statements will not change anything.
Who do you consider to be a "guitar god".? Or like what do you look for when determining one.? It's all opinionated anyways and some people have different tastes or criteria than another persons.
Quote by AgentOrange...
You seem like dick, buy I shall present a reasoned argument none the less.

Your 'belief' is that all big guitar players are sellouts who claim they are influenced by people they are not, in order to gain respect an money. Well I'm sorry, but that's or of the most ignorant statements I have ever heard... Virtually every rock guitar player was influenced in some way by Jimi Hendrix. All the 'big guy's have a respect for Hendrix because, unlike you, they know what they are talking about.

Let's take a 'technically' great guitarist shall we, let's say Yngwie Malmsteen. Now I once heard Malmsteen say in an interview that Hendrixes music was just noise, and not music. Yngwie Malmsteen is an incredible talent, he is litterally astoundingly good. However Mr Malmsteen is also an arrogant, ignorant dick. And on top of that, he does not know when to stop shredding. Watch his video with G3 playing Voodoo Child, he shreds all over the place, all the time, which simply is not musical.

Any other massively inspirational guitarists you'd like to critise? B.B. King maybe? Perhaps you'd like to complain about Brian May? Or Slash?

Okay, let me put it like this: Sellout guitarist= signature products= money. Some of my favorite, more underground guitarist, (like Paul Gilbert and Gary Holt) have never come out in public and say that Hendrix inspired them. But, the "Big Names" (like Slash, Kirk Hammet, etc.) Come out and say it all the time...
Quote by Switcheffect525
Who do you consider to be a "guitar god".? Or like what do you look for when determining one.? It's all opinionated anyways and some people have different tastes or criteria than another persons.

That's true, but Hendrix is getting his dick sucked by pretty much every sellout and poser, and I don't see why. I understand that there are people who truly respect Hendrix and what he did, but the majority have no clue why they like him. My favorite guitarist (I'd consider him a god) is Paul Gilbert.
Quote by AmirT
yes but no but yes but no but yes but no, stop bullshitting that man has made more of his live than you will ever be, that while living in the sixties and being black.

many musicians are overrated, many are underrated, we can't do shit about it, and making these profound philosophical statements will not change anything.

"I wanna stop this fire by pouring gasoline on it"
It's not about what you play, but how you play it, the feeling that that involves, and what you create yourself.

Hendrix was new, innovative and he had so much feeling in his playing. That's what made him great.
My Current Gear
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Cherry Burst) || Gibson Les Paul Junior (Vintage Sunburst)
Marshall 1987X and 1960AX || Weber Mass 100
Fulltone OCD pedal || Ibanez TS-9 tube screamer || Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker || Boss AC2
I use to think he was overrated for the simple fact he was black but to take a guitar and play lead on it upside WHILE singing i mean that's truly amazing to me. I mean Little Wing is such an emotional song and you can hear it in Jimi's playing. And didn't Paul Gilbert do a cover of a Jimi Hendrix song.? Love or hate the guy still have to respect what he brought to the table. Whether or not you think he's overrated.
Quote by HenryB
It's not about what you play, but how you play it, the feeling that that involves, and what you create yourself.

Hendrix was new, innovative and he had so much feeling in his playing. That's what made him great.

+1, you actually have a valid argument.
Quote by Sullinger
Okay, let me put it like this: Sellout guitarist= signature products= money. Some of my favorite, more underground guitarist, (like Paul Gilbert and Gary Holt) have never come out in public and say that Hendrix inspired them. But, the "Big Names" (like Slash, Kirk Hammet, etc.) Come out and say it all the time...

Ever seen Paul Gilberts cover of Purple Haze? :')

Personally I think your just trying to be cool by claiming the artists you like are 'underground'. Paul Gilbert is not what I would describe as 'underground'.

I'm not famous and Hendrix influenced me. As does Slash. As does Paul Gilbert.

One of my favourite guitarists is Phil X, now, he is not enormously famous, and he was influenced by Hendrix.
Gibson SG
Peavey 6505
Jet City JCA20H
Mesa 2x12

Such a shame,
Black Stone Cherry <3
Quote by Switcheffect525
I use to think he was overrated for the simple fact he was black but to take a guitar and play lead on it upside WHILE singing i mean that's truly amazing to me. I mean Little Wing is such an emotional song and you can hear it in Jimi's playing. And didn't Paul Gilbert do a cover of a Jimi Hendrix song.? Love or hate the guy still have to respect what he brought to the table. Whether or not you think he's overrated.

Lol, maybe Paul did. But Hurbert Sumlin is my argument. He's a black guitar player from the late 50s, and I think he did more for modern guitar than Hendrix. How many people know who he is?
Quote by AgentOrange...
Ever seen Paul Gilberts cover of Purple Haze? :')

Personally I think your just trying to be cool by claiming the artists you like are 'underground'. Paul Gilbert is not what I would describe as 'underground'.

I'm not famous and Hendrix influenced me. As does Slash. As does Paul Gilbert.

One of my favourite guitarists is Phil X, now, he is not enormously famous, and he was influenced by Hendrix.

Yeah, I think he did, lmao. I'm saying Paul is influencing plenty of great guitarist, and he might be doing more than Hendrix, but how people know who he is?
Quote by AmirT

This. You could ask this from anyone and they would come up with names you've never heard and one's they don't know and you consider to be a very good and influencial guitarist or musician.

But in my opinion Hendrix (if someone) bought us the way to create songs based on guitar riffs, not on vocal melody.
Quote by Sullinger
Yeah, I think he did, lmao. I'm saying Paul is influencing plenty of great guitarist, and he might be doing more than Hendrix, but how people know who he is?

Yes, Paul Gilbert does influence plenty of great guitarists. However, as he is influenced by Hendrix, does this not mean that, indirectly at least, these people are influenced by Hendrix?

Most guitarists respect Hendrix and what he did for guitar, you clearly don't, what else is there to say?
Gibson SG
Peavey 6505
Jet City JCA20H
Mesa 2x12

Such a shame,
Black Stone Cherry <3
Quote by Sullinger

So you like Paul Gilbert... and signature products=sellout?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-frm100tr-fireman-paul-gilbert-signature-electric-guitar/h77146000001000?src=3WFRWXX&CAWELAID=1062552493

Your argument is invalid, kind sir. Not trying to cause or fuel an argument, just saying that isn't a valid argument to use Paul in that case. Gary Holt also has http://www.schecterguitars.com/Products/Guitar/Gary-Holt.aspx

EDIT: I also find this thread is more "Hendrix is a sellout because he's famous!" than "Hendrix wasn't so great because ___________", just saying. To each their own opinion, that's fine if you don't like Hendrix, but please use legitimate arguments.
Last edited by Thermon at Apr 14, 2012,
You're only basing him on his guitar work, not only was he (WARNING: OPINIONS) a great guitarist in my books, he was also an amazing musician and performer, he set a guitar on fire, played it with his teeth, played it over his head etc... this was at a time where all blues musicians did was sit or stand there (for the most part). I never liked Yngwie, his playing, while fast, is just that. Fast arpeggios. Sure he can stroke his ego and other parts with those fast hands, but people like hendrix shared a greater emotional quality with their music, which is why so many people loved him, not just musicians. He also helped create the distorted guitar tone.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by Sullinger
Okay, let me put it like this: Sellout guitarist= signature products= money.
And that applies to Hendrix how?

Quote by Sullinger
That's true, but Hendrix is getting his dick sucked by pretty much every sellout and poser, and I don't see why. I understand that there are people who truly respect Hendrix and what he did, but the majority have no clue why they like him.
Why should that matter?
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Quote by Sullinger
That's true, but Hendrix is getting his dick sucked by pretty much every sellout and poser, and I don't see why. I understand that there are people who truly respect Hendrix and what he did, but the majority have no clue why they like him. My favorite guitarist (I'd consider him a god) is Paul Gilbert.

Well, how could Hendrix have decided about that? He's dead and I don't think it was his idea to become a "sellout." So it's not his fault. But you should really listen to Hendrix's music. I know that I didn't appreciate Hendrix that much until I realized how good his music and playing was. First I thought he was OK but now after having listened to his music a bit more, I think that he is great. Guitarists today are more technical than Hendrix but I don't know many that could play better than Hendrix.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Sullinger
I personally think that Jimi Hendrix isn't really that good, at all. I don't get why people suck his dick all the time, he's WAAYYYY overrated. He's like Randy Rhoads where he died too soon to start making shit albums, so he looks like a god...
what are your thoughts?

I respect your opinion but you are completely misguided.

Hendrix was one of the most innovative and original guitarists ever. Hendrix directly and indirectly influenced generations of guitarists. Look at all the greats he influenced. He made incredible music. All three Jimi Hendrix Experience studio album are classics. It's not a coincidence.

Hendrix took the guitar to a whole new level and then some.....

Who played like Hendrix before Hendrix? Who did what he did before him? No one.
If Jimi Hendrix only played Little Wing his whole life long he would still be remembered as a great
yes,

my thoughts on jimi hendrix, i think jimi hendrix sucked as a guitar player..all that screeching sounding bull with no notes or musical structural..there are reall guitar players that really play such as Slash and etc. that's really playing..jimi could not play as good as i can with no training

thank you

jomrcean
so many statements in this thread make me facepalm.

i have to admit i used to be in TS's position, I was constantly annoyed by how much endless praise and worship Hendrix got, thought he really wasn't the greatest guitarist ever and would always try to bring up other more "unknown" and "under appreciated" guitarists instead.

but since then I've really discovered the magic of Hendrix. Listen to his music closely. Look at the artwork and labels on the physical release. Watch live videos. Watch interviews. Read a biography about him or something. The man was simply a genius. Changed the way guitar was played, changed the way music was written, recorded, and performed. and beyond his music, the ideas he had about life, the world, and society are so fascinating. I find myself agreeing with so many things he said about what it truly means to live and love.

seriously just look into it more. lose all your preconceived notions of what you believe Hendrix is and accept what Hendrix TRULY is. When you stop looking at Hendrix as "that overrated guy that gets the same two songs played on the radio every day and every 10 year old thinks he's the greatest guitarist ever" and start to actually look and see what Hendrix really was and is you will understand exactly why he is on such a level of legendary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3X4uW92sTI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qut6Pw0FdTk
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Last edited by romencer17 at Apr 23, 2012,
let me guess most of the posters on this thread are under 21 . hendrix gets the praise because he wrote the book on hard rock guitar (with a little help from a few other guys like page, townsend and beck). all those sounds he got were never heard before. he came up with them and made them into a guitar 101 for everyone that came after him. jimi was a great song writer as well. go beyond the radio hits and see what he really had to offer.

other great players cite him as an influence because he was and continues to be not to be cool
Quote by jomrcean
yes,

my thoughts on jimi hendrix, i think jimi hendrix sucked as a guitar player..all that screeching sounding bull with no notes or musical structural..there are reall guitar players that really play such as Slash and etc. that's really playing..jimi could not play as good as i can with no training

thank you

jomrcean

You make it sound as though Slash is some supremely technical musician and Hendrix is some sloppy Sid Vicious-alike. Slash and Hendrix are both supremely talented, and the way Hendrix approached the guitar and innovated is probably more significant than Slash. It's ridiculous to say that he sucked as a guitar player. And no, you're not better than him. Maybe you can shred faster, but could you create anything on the same level, with the same emotion as Jimi's work? No. I think he is slightly overrated, but your post was just full of shit.
Quote by slash11896
I picked up my guitar this morning and started playing next thing i know i cant stop playing In the key of A, the first letter or her name, I ended up recording a whole song in A.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
You kidding? Randy Rhoads was ****in' awesome even though there's not too many songs from him. And for Hendrix, he was repping the '60s, how can't you give credit to that?
I just popped over from another bands and artists forum to see what its like over here. You guys have a sucky forum. Har har.

hendrix is really good. really, really good.
Page 1 of 2