you15
257 IQ
Hey i have a silvertone guitar and i was wondering if anybody else has one? Also, if Silvertone guitars are good or not?????????
comeee
145 IQ
This one guy at my school who helps our class has one. They are hard to find i guess, i dont think they make those anymore.
Darkdevil725
UG Freak
1,248 IQ
Silvertone's are very common and generally just junk guitars made of plywood. There are some good ones out there but they are very expensive for the good stuff such as the Paul Stanley Apocalypse signature.
Metal_Mesh
91 IQ
Quote by Darkdevil725
Silvertone's are very common and generally just junk guitars made of plywood. There are some good ones out there but they are very expensive for the good stuff such as the Paul Stanley Apocalypse signature.

Well, Plywood don't have to mean "junk". The early Silvertone were like a (even) cheaper version of the Danoelectros in the 50-60s, made for Sear's or something like that (I suggest googling it) . I own a new Danoelectro, which is similar to the early Danoelectros/Silvertones and it has a nice jangly tone. I haven't tried the old ones though.

The newer ones are made in Asia and are pretty cheap beginners guitars. I've only tried the Paul Stanley Sovereign Pro-model and it was pretty good with Set neck, mirror pickguard, body-binding etc. Although I sold it to by a Ibanez Seven, and I kinda regret it today, since it was a good guitar.

Hope that helps! Be free to ask if you got more questions on the Paul Stanley-model.
Guitars and basses:

Fender Blacktop Telecaster|Epiphone Junior SG|Ibanez Lawsuit Strat|anelectro '63|Eagle tele w/ P-90s|Duke LP-copy|Cort B2A bass|Ibanez AW-40TCS
Metal_Mesh
91 IQ
Does it look like a strat or more like a Danelectro?
Guitars and basses:

Fender Blacktop Telecaster|Epiphone Junior SG|Ibanez Lawsuit Strat|anelectro '63|Eagle tele w/ P-90s|Duke LP-copy|Cort B2A bass|Ibanez AW-40TCS
kangaxxter
tune up turn on rock out
1,360 IQ
They are vintage instruments, but they were like the First Acts of their day.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Fender Rumble 100 V3
Eric Johnson Fuzz Face
NYC Big Muff Pi
you15
257 IQ
Quote by Metal_Mesh
Does it look like a strat or more like a Danelectro?

Its a Danelectro guitar. Its kool alot people say its a nice guitar. Its liquid black. Thats all i know about it. IT was my sis,she gave it to me. it cost about $120-160
Metal_Mesh
91 IQ
Is it a Danoelectro or a Silvertone?

If it looks like a Danoelectro it could be an old Silvertone, which is worth some money.
Guitars and basses:

you15
257 IQ
Quote by Metal_Mesh
Is it a Danoelectro or a Silvertone?

If it looks like a Danoelectro it could be an old Silvertone, which is worth some money.

ITs a Danelectro guitar, i believedd it cost about $120-160 not sure. its liquid black solid body bought it in 2003. it says silvertone at the top of the headstock
Last edited by you15 at Apr 14, 2012,
Metal_Mesh
91 IQ
Old Silvertones have a solid body, meaning they don't have any "f-holes" (sorry), but the body of the guitar is build around a frame of some sort of wood with a masonite top and bottom. But the frame isn't solid, meaning it is chambered and "hollow".

So I guess the guitar looks something like this (?):

http://www.promusicdm.com/apicsposting/Silvertone%201449.JPG
Guitars and basses:

third-eye
I will.
551 IQ
Silvertone, as far as I'm aware, was a division of Harmony musical instruments. Back in the day it was the biggest instrument company in the world before Fender and Gibson started mass producing their own guitars. If it sounds good to you, keep it. I recently found this 1946 Harmony archtop that looks like it hasn't been played in over 20 years, I bought it and it's pretty much the best slide guitar I've ever played! So if it sounds good to you, keep it. They won't be making those guitars ever again.
mig-29
rhumatic rocker
608 IQ
some really old models of the sears and robuck silvertones are worth a good bit of money now. they were made of masonite had lipstick style pups, and had what looked like the strips that you put on the bottom of the bath tub to keep from slipping as a decorative binding around the body. the case had a built in amp. they made a big come back in the nineties with the grunge crowd.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Darkdevil725
UG Freak
1,248 IQ
Well like I said some are good. But most of the good ones end up costing you a lot. And plywood usually means junk *when speaking of value* though I use to have a plywood strat that sounded awesome and played just as good as it sounded but it was worthless as far as its value went.

Honestly id take a silvertone over a first act any day. Ive found more good silvertones than I have good first acts.
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist
921 IQ
I have an old silvertone acoustic. It's small, the fret dots are painted on, no truss rod so it's warped to all hell, I think it's made from cardboard, and it's covered in stickers. It might be my favorite guitar...ok maybe not, close though
Metal_Mesh
91 IQ
My Danelectro (made in China, but anyway) is just great. Works goods for slide, surf, rock or stoner. Really like it. And it costed me $ 260... new.
Guitars and basses:

you15
257 IQ
mybad my sisgot it in the ninties near the 2000 and it cost 500 dollars for the silvertone guitar and its still good and everyone likes it says its nice
you15
257 IQ
Quote by Metal_Mesh
My Danelectro (made in China, but anyway) is just great. Works goods for slide, surf, rock or stoner. Really like it. And it costed me $ 260... new.

my guitar isnt plywood its pinewood so my guitar is awesome LOOOLLL just found out
you15
257 IQ
Quote by Point2Point
Isn't pine a soft wood?

No because if it isnt plywood, because its not soft. The wood is on my guitar is hard and solid
its_minchew
516 IQ
ok, you'll probably get a lot more help if you post pictures. Surely someone would be able to identify it for you if nothing else.
Metal_Mesh
91 IQ
Quote by you15
No because if it isnt plywood, because its not soft. The wood is on my guitar is hard and solid

Pine is a relatively soft wood. It is softer than e.g. ash or ebony. Saying it is soft doesn't mean it is a soft like a pillow or something, just that it is soft for being a wood.
Guitars and basses:

Iblis92
Lyricist/guitarist noob
1,663 IQ
I have a silvertone bass. I dont think id play it live, but for what I require of it, its good.
Im not sure about their guitars, but that bass they made (they only made one) it can take a helluva beating.
However, the knobs and pickguard came loose. but oh well.
"A guitar is your personality expressed through six strings"

"I'm cuddly bitch, deal with it"
rschleicher
234 IQ
There's a lot of bad (or partly correct) info above...

Silvertone was a brand name owned by Sears. In the 60's and into the 70's Sears sold Silvertone guitars that were made by Danelectro (of Neptune, NJ), and also by Harmony Guitars of Chicago - different models, sold in different years, but with some overlap. (Towards the end, there were also some Japanese Silvertones made by Teisco.)

Both the Danelectros and Harmony's were pretty low-priced. The Danelectros were generally built with cheaper materials than the Harmony-built models. Danelectros even used masonite in some models, for example, and some sort of vinyl strapping material to cover the side edges of some models.

Old Danelectros, both under their own name, as well as the Silvertone versions, have a pretty decent sound, though, from their lipstick pickups - Jimmy Page held onto his old Danelectro and used it throughout his Led Zep days for a few numbers - including some of the songs where he bowed the guitar.

This is sort of a typical Danelectro, showing that vinyl edging. Jimmy Page's model is more or less like this.

http://www.vintagesilvertones.com/forsale_danelectro_3021.html

Harmony's were typically built with somewhat better materials, including real mother-of-pearl inlays, decent wood for the fretboards, De'Armond single-coil pups that sound pretty good, etc.

My own Silvertone is a '65 Harmony-guilt Model 1478 "Silhouette", styled to look more or less like a Fender Jaguar - its a red and black burst, with a 3-ply tortoise-shell pickgaurd, bound neck, M-O-P block inlays, and a pair of De'Armonds. All that for $89.95 in the Sears catalog.... (I don't know what a Strat cost in 1965, but maybe $250 or so?)

(Here's a video of my model, but not me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haRjDC_MqTs ) Clean tones at the beginning, but a bit of Texas boogie on display after a minute and a half or so.

This site shows a variety of Silvertones, of both Harmony and Danelectro-build:

http://www.vintagesilvertones.com/index.html

One popular Danelectro-built Silvertone line was their amp-in-case line, where a 5W tube amp and 8" speaker (I think that is the speaker size) are built into the guitar case itself.

Harmony made some hollow-body models as Silvertones, most of which are more or less Gretsch-styled. Some of these were called Rocket models. Some of these are pretty nice-sounding as well. And if you go back to the 50's and 40's, there were some Harmony-built acoustics and archtops, I think.

The modern Silvertone name is no real relation to the above old Silvertones.

I also thought the Harmony name was being revived, to make reissues of various old Harmony models. But I couldn't find a link.

Vintage Silvertones, Danelectros, and Harmony's have some fans, both from their own character, as well as due to people remembering them fondly as their first guitar. Obviously not nearly as cool as vintage guitars of better brands, but not worthless either!
Last edited by rschleicher at Apr 17, 2012,
Dr Sixstring
UG's Snips
1,277 IQ
This thread is stupid. Just saying.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Metal_Mesh
91 IQ
rschleicher: Thank you for that info!
Guitars and basses:

nightowl2011
311 IQ
My first guitar was a sunburst Silvertone . Not a bad guitar mind you, but not the best either. Great guitar for a beginner.